The Student Room Group

Expired CCJ and the SRA.

Greetings all, i'm at a crossroads, please help! I'm trying to decide whether to start legal training, but here's the thing, I just discovered I had a CCJ placed against me years ago that I wasn't aware of - looks like an old bill that escalated. The judgement went against me as I didnt contest it (as I wasnt aware). The CCJ was never settled and is now for than 6 years old, it's no longer being reported by credit agencies on public records. Now I understand and appreciate that honesty is essential in the profession for obvious reasons, but I feel I'd be needlessly opening a can of worms needlessly should I declare this, and as I say, it was never satisfied. Plus the SRA web site states the following:

"that you have been declared bankrupt, entered into any individual voluntary arrangements, have a CURRENT County Court Judgment issued against you or have been made subject to a Debt Relief Order".

But I have also read that you have to declare if you 've EVER had a CCJ.

Does anybody know if there is any way that CCJ could show up anywhere during SRA suitability checks? Considering it's more than 6 years old? I have no other black spots against my name, I just dont want to volunteer infotmation that could cause an issue needlessly. Any advice folks? Am I worrying over nothing? Or could this cause an issue?
Reply 1
Original post by RealJack
Greetings all, i'm at a crossroads, please help! I'm trying to decide whether to start legal training, but here's the thing, I just discovered I had a CCJ placed against me years ago that I wasn't aware of - looks like an old bill that escalated. The judgement went against me as I didnt contest it (as I wasnt aware). The CCJ was never settled and is now for than 6 years old, it's no longer being reported by credit agencies on public records. Now I understand and appreciate that honesty is essential in the profession for obvious reasons, but I feel I'd be needlessly opening a can of worms needlessly should I declare this, and as I say, it was never satisfied. Plus the SRA web site states the following:

"that you have been declared bankrupt, entered into any individual voluntary arrangements, have a CURRENT County Court Judgment issued against you or have been made subject to a Debt Relief Order".

But I have also read that you have to declare if you 've EVER had a CCJ.

Does anybody know if there is any way that CCJ could show up anywhere during SRA suitability checks? Considering it's more than 6 years old? I have no other black spots against my name, I just dont want to volunteer infotmation that could cause an issue needlessly. Any advice folks? Am I worrying over nothing? Or could this cause an issue?
Hi did you manage to sort out this issue?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending