The Student Room Group

Oxford application

Hi all, I am currently an IB DP2 student that is super stressed about my predicted grades. Currently I am predicted a 39/45, basically just scraping past the minimum IB requirement for my desired subject (biomedical sciences at Oxford). I understand that applications to Oxford are really competitive, and I was wondering whether this predicted grade would affect my chances at getting admitted. I am juggling my chances of getting an interview if I get top marks in BMAT. Could anyone please advice me on how much Oxford looks at predicted grades? Thanks a lot.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by ReallySeriousRn
Hi all, I am currently an IB DP2 student that is super stressed about my predicted grades. Currently I am predicted a 39/45, basically just scraping past the minimum IB requirement for my desired subject (biomedical sciences at Oxford). I understand that applications to Oxford are really competitive, and I was wondering whether this predicted grade would affect my chances at getting admitted. I am juggling my chances of getting an interview if I get top marks in BMAT. Could anyone please advice me on how much Oxford looks at predicted grades? Thanks a lot.

It might reduce your chances of getting an interview if you have the exact minimum requirements. Universities expect some inflation with predicted grades, and they don't like wasting offers on people that won't meet the conditions. Would it be possible to increase your grade? I had to really fight my school to let me retake mock exams, but it worked out in the end. If not, you might as well apply anyway - it's only one application out of five, and this won't ruin your application or anything like that.
Ok, thanks for the advice, really appreciated! I just wanted to ask how you fought with your school to retake some of your mocks, because my school is strict in general and I hope my performance does not affect my sister's entry to my school as well. If you could share your experience with me then I would really appreciate that, but no pressure, and thanks once again :smile:
Original post by ReallySeriousRn
Ok, thanks for the advice, really appreciated! I just wanted to ask how you fought with your school to retake some of your mocks, because my school is strict in general and I hope my performance does not affect my sister's entry to my school as well. If you could share your experience with me then I would really appreciate that, but no pressure, and thanks once again :smile:

I basically just said that having a higher predicted grade could really help me with uni admissions, and asked if there was any way I could take extra exams or assessments to raise my grade. I had some personal problems at the time and they'd gotten in the way of my studying. I think it's best to be polite and understanding - you're asking them to do extra work, ultimately. Just make it clear that you made a one-off mistake, that you're willing to put the work in, and that you'd be really grateful for the opportunity.
Thanks a lot for the advice !!!
Reply 5
Original post by emilyalexandria
I basically just said that having a higher predicted grade could really help me with uni admissions, and asked if there was any way I could take extra exams or assessments to raise my grade. I had some personal problems at the time and they'd gotten in the way of my studying. I think it's best to be polite and understanding - you're asking them to do extra work, ultimately. Just make it clear that you made a one-off mistake, that you're willing to put the work in, and that you'd be really grateful for the opportunity.

Did you get the Admission by using this strategy can you give some more information so people can understand exactly .
Original post by BoltonMan
Did you get the Admission by using this strategy can you give some more information so people can understand exactly .

Oxford don't give offers based on predicted grades, so you still need to do well in the entrance test, interviews, and possibly written work. Having a predicted grade lower than the entry requirements will almost definitely lead to instant rejection, though, so it's very important to ensure it's high enough. It's ultimately up to your school to decide your predicted grade, and you can't force them to change it. I did get accepted in the end.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
I got Pridicted grades as A *, A * , A and I got BMAT 5.2 , 4.2 , 3A . and I got Preason PTE also for 90 /90 do you think i can get interview call from Oxford university .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending