The Student Room Group

GEM application whilst in the final year of my degree

Which universities can / can't I apply for to do graduate entry medicine whilst in the final year of my degree? I am applying for universities that accept the UCAT (southampton, warwick, sheffield, BARTS, Newcastle, kings, brum)
You can only apply for graduate entry medicine when you are in final year.

To my knowledge, no uni has specified that you must finish your course before applying. As long as you’ve sat the UCAT in final year before submitting your application your fine! I think the reason it’s final year and beyond is so you can supply the universities with your predicted grades and they can make you a subsequent offer for interview etc.
Reply 2
Original post by JasmineAcademic
You can only apply for graduate entry medicine when you are in final year.

To my knowledge, no uni has specified that you must finish your course before applying. As long as you’ve sat the UCAT in final year before submitting your application your fine! I think the reason it’s final year and beyond is so you can supply the universities with your predicted grades and they can make you a subsequent offer for interview etc.

thanks for the reply! - How would I go about getting a predicted grade with which to apply then lol!
Original post by Jacob7347
thanks for the reply! - How would I go about getting a predicted grade with which to apply then lol!

Some unis give you a predicted grade some don’t it all depends on your course.

My course in year 1 was worth 0%
Year 2 was 30% and year 3 70%. Because we had so much to do in final year, I had to submit my own predicted grade and I just said I would be getting a 2:1 because that was how I usually did in my coursework.

Some course will be able to supply predicted though. Not sure how your uni works but on our university website we have a homepage that had calculators on to work out our degree level. You would put all your grades in to the spreadsheet and it would give you a predicted grade.

Tbh I don’t think the unis actually check your predicted grades until you have gave them you UCAT mark. Most unis will use the UCAT first to select candidates and then look at predicted grades and so on.

Good luck applying 😉
Original post by JasmineAcademic
Some unis give you a predicted grade some don’t it all depends on your course.

My course in year 1 was worth 0%
Year 2 was 30% and year 3 70%. Because we had so much to do in final year, I had to submit my own predicted grade and I just said I would be getting a 2:1 because that was how I usually did in my coursework.

Some course will be able to supply predicted though. Not sure how your uni works but on our university website we have a homepage that had calculators on to work out our degree level. You would put all your grades in to the spreadsheet and it would give you a predicted grade.

Tbh I don’t think the unis actually check your predicted grades until you have gave them you UCAT mark. Most unis will use the UCAT first to select candidates and then look at predicted grades and so on.

Good luck applying 😉

Hi,
thank you so much this really helped.
I am in a similar situation where my university will not provide predicted grades, due to 70% of my degree classification being accounted for in my final 3rd year. I just want to know how I will make a predicted grade on my own, and how the university I am applying to for grad medicine will react to me making my own predicted grades. My university will only provide me with a reference no predicted grade, I am confused on the whole predicted grades. I also want to know when applying through UCAS if I add a predicted grade will my referee see this grade when adding information. I would be very grateful if you could get back to me. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending