The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Both.

You need a 2(1) + AAA/B to be considered by the big firms. After that, your legal experience comes into play. But it counts for nothing if you have low A-Level/ degree grades.
Reply 2
Ok, what if you're not applying to big firms?

Say you apply to high street firms then do they also look for high grades? Coz I know that there are a few which consider people with a 2:2. I'm assuming that they're looking for people with experience rather than just really good grades.
Reply 3
Mazzy
Ok, what if you're not applying to big firms?

Say you apply to high street firms then do they also look for high grades? Coz I know that there are a few which consider people with a 2:2. I'm assuming that they're looking for people with experience rather than just really good grades.

Law's becoming so competitive that even HS firms are looking for 2(1)s. That's not to say that it's impossible mind you, and if you have excellent experience + a 2(2), then you'll probably get further than you would if you were applying to large London/ regional firms.
Reply 4
Vitriol01
Law's becoming so competitive that even HS firms are looking for 2(1)s. That's not to say that it's impossible mind you, and if you have excellent experience + a 2(2), then you'll probably get further than you would if you were applying to large London/ regional firms.

I really think experience (and NOT JUST LEGAL EXPERIENCE) plays a greater role than you are suggesting especially for folks that come into law later in life.

Many practices specialize and I'd almost guarantee that a 2:2 from a bog standard uni plus 10 years experience as a Chartered Surveyor (prior to studying law) would make someone highly attractive to a firm specializing in something like construction dispute resolution/real estate/development.

It really helps to be double-barrelled in your qualifications. Law is law but IMHO it's very valuable to have expert knowledge in your field of specialization (IE actually know something about the industry/sector you serve) as a lawyer.
Reply 5
Howard
I really think experience (and NOT JUST LEGAL EXPERIENCE) plays a greater role than you are suggesting especially for folks that come into law later in life.

Many practices specialize and I'd almost guarantee that a 2:2 from a bog standard uni plus 10 years experience as a Chartered Surveyor (prior to studying law) would make someone highly attractive to a firm specializing in something like construction dispute resolution/real estate/development.

It really helps to be double-barrelled in your qualifications. Law is law but IMHO it's very valuable to have expert knowledge in your field of specialization (IE actually know something about the industry/sector you serve) as a lawyer.

I'd agree with that. I thought the original poster was asking about having a 2(2) plus a few weeks work in the legal profession having graduated last year. Things change if you've had 'proper' experience in a relevant field. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending