The Student Room Group

Can I decline my interview offer 1 day beforehand?

My firm's grade reqs are A*AA, but I accepted an interview invite for another course that will ask for A*AA (which I will definitely not choose over my firm whoops). The interview is TOMORROW and frankly I'd just rather not go through the stress of an interview (I'm a very stressed out person in general), and have got a packed day at school that I'd prefer not to miss. Would it be considered rude to email the uni about not attending the interview tomorrow and withdraw the application from UCAS? I don't want to be blacklisted lmao
If you find interviews stressful why on earth would you turn down the chance for some interview experience where you don’t care about the outcome?

Do the interview, know that the results don’t matter and instead of stressing just focus on improving your interview technique and resilience.

The worst case scenario is that you get rejected for a course you wouldn’t accept an offer for anyway and have a chance to practice your technique.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by PQ
If you find interviews stressful why on earth would you turn down the chance for some interview experience where you don’t care about the outcome?

Do the interview, know that the results don’t matter and instead of stressing just focus on improving your interview technique and resilience.

The worst case scenario is that you get rejected for a course you wouldn’t accept an offer for anyway and have a chance to practice your technique.

Everyone finds interviews stressful, and me less than most to be honest. However I'm doing 4 content heavy A levels + working a job + interning + independent research + have mocks next week + have international uni interviews this week so there's just an insane amount on my plate, and I'd appreciate the extra time to focus on what really matters to me. I also don't want to waste an interviewers time or take away an offer from someone who genuinely wants it. I 100% understand I shouldn't have accepted it in the first place / started thinking about this so late though.
Reply 3
As someone who is also a very anxious person I wholeheartedly agree with PQ - unfortunately interviews are something that you will have to deal with at various stages in life, so any experience you can get where there is less pressure because the outcome doesn't matter so much will be hugely valuable and give you the chance to work out what exactly it is that you find stressful/difficult so you can work at it for the future.

Between now and then I would say do your best not to think about it and distract yourself with something that you enjoy - I always find that the more I think about an interview the more stressed I get.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ims_m
As someone who is also a very anxious person I wholeheartedly agree with the person above - unfortunately interviews are something that you will have to deal with at various stages in life, so any experience you can get where there is less pressure because the outcome doesn't matter so much will be hugely valuable and give you the chance to work out what exactly it is that you find stressful/difficult so you can work at it for the future.

Between now and then I would say do your best not to think about it and distract yourself with something that you enjoy - I always find that the more I think about an interview the more stressed I get.

Genuinely thanks for the response, but wondering if you still stand by that given the context above? I have a lot of interview experience and have dealt with far more pressure, and generally am not too phased by them. But I just don't see the point at this particular stage?
Reply 5
Original post by deep_sea_thing
Genuinely thanks for the response, but wondering if you still stand by that given the context above? I have a lot of interview experience and have dealt with far more pressure, and generally am not too phased by them. But I just don't see the point at this particular stage?

I see your point, it does sound like you have a lot going on at the moment and it does sound like this interview is unlikely to be useful for you, but I of course do not have much context on your life so only you can decide what's best for you 🙂 i do just want to point out that this close to the interview it's unlikely that anyone else will have the chance to take your place, but I also don't think it's necessary to do it anyway out of principle if it won't serve you.
You can never have too much interview experience.

What if this other uni ends up being your insurance? (In some cases it makes sense to firm and insure the same grade requirements) What if you don't end up at your firm or insurance and the interview puts you in a good position for a place there via clearing? What if they make you an offer lower than the requirements because you perform well at interview?

Worst case, you miss one days school which you should have been planning for since the invite in any case.

If you've already made you mind up not to go that's fine, but it makes the thread a bit redundant.
Original post by Admit-One

What if this other uni ends up being your insurance? (In some cases it makes sense to firm and insure the same grade requirements) What if you don't end up at your firm or insurance and the interview puts you in a good position for a place there via clearing? What if they make you an offer lower than the requirements because you perform well at interview?

Worst case, you miss one days school which you should have been planning for since the invite in any case.

If you've already made you mind up not to go that's fine, but it makes the thread a bit redundant.

Thank you, I'm grateful for the reply. I'm referring to Imperial so almost certainly no point in putting it as an insurance unfortunately. I applied there for 2 courses, one with lower grade requirements, so the reason i'm being so adamant is a) because I think I have a good shot at the other course (more useful to me in any case) and b) i'm just exhaustedddd

But yes, the responses have spurred me to suck it up and do the interviews + associated online tasks.
Original post by ims_m
I see your point, it does sound like you have a lot going on at the moment and it does sound like this interview is unlikely to be useful for you, but I of course do not have much context on your life so only you can decide what's best for you 🙂 i do just want to point out that this close to the interview it's unlikely that anyone else will have the chance to take your place, but I also don't think it's necessary to do it anyway out of principle if it won't serve you.

I know, pretty much the only reason I've decided to go for it is that it seems so rude to turn down the place after confirming a week ago & I'd feel awful if I ended up messing up plans that the admissions team had presumably sorted for the online group tasks etc.
Thank you, I'm grateful for the reply. I'm referring to Imperial so almost certainly no point in putting it as an insurance unfortunately. I applied there for 2 courses, one with lower grade requirements, so the reason i'm being so adamant is a) because I think I have a good shot at the other course (more useful to me in any case) and b) i'm just exhaustedddd

But yes, the responses have spurred me to suck it up and do the interviews + associated online tasks.

Your question with regards to being blacklisted makes more sense now :smile:

If you've applied to more than one course, I would definitely put in the effort in to attend. I appreciate that it takes away from your studies but you never know when making a good impression might pay off.
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One

sorry this is irrelevant to the origional q but in what case would you firm and insurance unis with the same requirements??
Original post by mymelo
sorry this is irrelevant to the origional q but in what case would you firm and insurance unis with the same requirements??

Not entirely certain, however I think scenarios where you may not like/have been accepted into your preferred insurance combined with a uni with the same requirements as your firm, but more leniency. E.g. they will accept A*AB instead of AAA, or potentially reduce grades with an EPQ in hand.
Reply 12
I know, pretty much the only reason I've decided to go for it is that it seems so rude to turn down the place after confirming a week ago & I'd feel awful if I ended up messing up plans that the admissions team had presumably sorted for the online group tasks etc.

Good luck! I hope it goes well 🙂 (even if you don't need it to)
Original post by mymelo

If they were genuinely your first and second preferences. No point Insuring a less preferred third option just because of lower grade requirements. (If you genuinely didn't have much preference between 2nd and 3rd preference you might pick the lower grade offer though.)

Either Firm or Insurance may have flexibility on results day. Identical offers give you a bit less wiggle room, but you are trying to maximise your chances of going to one of your prefered courses.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending