The Student Room Group

What are the A Level requirements for boutique law firms?

What are the A Level requirements for boutique law firms?
Specifically in London. But, info on Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds is good too.
Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1
It varies and some firms will be more public than others about what they expect (and what exactly "boutique" means could be a whole question in itself of course!), but it will realistically be much the same as the larger firms - ABB/BBB as a minimum.

Some firms formally state "no minimum" or similar - but it's generally worth approaching these firms with the same idea that anything less than the above becomes a definite weakness on the application that has to be overcome with very strong performances elsewhere.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AMac86
It varies and some firms will be more public than others about what they expect (and what exactly "boutique" means could be a whole question in itself of course!), but it will realistically be much the same as the larger firms - ABB/BBB as a minimum.

Some firms formally state "no minimum" or similar - but it's generally worth approaching these firms with the same idea that anything less than the above becomes a definite weakness on the application that has to be overcome with very strong performances elsewhere.

How do they look at A Level resits?
Reply 3
That's such an open ended question and firms will take different views on different situations so it's very hard to say - The overall grade is most important, and it depends what the firm is asking you to disclose on your application. What's the resit situation that you have in mind?
Reply 4
Original post by AMac86
That's such an open ended question and firms will take different views on different situations so it's very hard to say - The overall grade is most important, and it depends what the firm is asking you to disclose on your application. What's the resit situation that you have in mind?

I took my A Levels in 2021 and took a couple of gap years and am thinking of retaking in the summer of next year as I realise how difficult it is to get into a lot of firms without the required A Levels and I want to give myself much better prospects. However, I am aware that when you resit unis and firms have higher grade requirements for the resits. Along the lines of A*A*A or something like that.
Reply 5
Was 2021 the year where Covid significantly affected a level exams & results, and what are your current A level grades?

I Don't think any employer in law would expect multiple A*s or similar on resits, but for employers that do filter by a-levels they might expect a slightly better performance given that you're a couple of years older than the typical a level student.

It's really hard to say how employers as a whole would consider this, some strictly filter with a-levels to thin out the numbers, some don't. For those that filter it's important to hit the requirements to make the cut. For those that don't filter if the rest of your application is impressive it matters less, although law firms tend to recruit candidates with strong academic track records.

As for whether re-sitting it worth it... it really has to be a personal choice. Assuming you're at uni at the moment then re-sitting takes away time you could be spending on your degree and time you could be spending seeking out work experience, vacation scheme applications, open days etc... + the cost.
Reply 6
Original post by AMac86
Was 2021 the year where Covid significantly affected a level exams & results, and what are your current A level grades?

I Don't think any employer in law would expect multiple A*s or similar on resits, but for employers that do filter by a-levels they might expect a slightly better performance given that you're a couple of years older than the typical a level student.

It's really hard to say how employers as a whole would consider this, some strictly filter with a-levels to thin out the numbers, some don't. For those that filter it's important to hit the requirements to make the cut. For those that don't filter if the rest of your application is impressive it matters less, although law firms tend to recruit candidates with strong academic track records.

As for whether re-sitting it worth it... it really has to be a personal choice. Assuming you're at uni at the moment then re-sitting takes away time you could be spending on your degree and time you could be spending seeking out work experience, vacation scheme applications, open days etc... + the cost.

Yes, I am going to be on a foundation year so I think I will have a lot of time compared to an undergrad to be able to do so as internships are for undergrads. Also, I won’t have to apply for vac schemes yet until final year since I’m on a foundation year and will be progressing onto a non-law course
Reply 7
Original post by AMac86

And yes, my year was affected by COVID as our grades were formed with our end of term assessments that we did in lower sixth and then with our second year performance and coursework. It was averaged out. I didn’t have the foresight to know covid would happen, so in first year my grades weren’t very good as I was under the impression they wouldn’t matter and that my end of year 13 final A Level exams would be what mattered. I ended up with BCC. If I resit, would firms want at least AAA? I think I can definitely do better than I performed and if it will affect which law firms I can apply to and my chances, I think its better off that I resit as I don’t need the hassle of trying to find a law firm to accept me with these grades. I will work as hard as possible to have a very good overall application. Pro bono work, volunteering, commercial awareness competitions, Law societies etc. But, I know it is VERY competitive and even those with AAA are feeling the pressure.

So far, I have done an online negotiation course and completed some volunteering and am looking forward to improving my overall profile to law firms. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by AMac86

Also, what do you mean by slightly better? A*AA or more? Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
If you're *confident* re-sitting won't affect your foundation year then I think it might be worth some re-sits to improve those A levels to say ABB. Do not worry about needing A*s, although higher is better all things being equal. Before you make a decision go into it with a plan - have there been any syllabus changes? Can you still get past papers and study materials etc.. to improve your chances of improving your grade & are you willing to make some social life sacrifices in your foundation year where you'll need to study and revise much harder than your friends and peers until the resit exams? (that's probably the hardest challenge of the lot)

This link below gives a useful guide to common a-level requirements from various law firms for reference:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria

It's really hard to say how different employers treat A level grades because they're all different, hiring managers are different, partners who sit on recruitment committees are different, some use them as hard requirements, others are more flexible etc... If you're re-sitting a year later than "normal" then I don't think any higher than the types of grades on the link above would be expected. Obviously a strong degree performance in due course shows a solid upward academic trajectory too.

Re the wider picture, volunteering and online courses are slightly helpful - but they're not a substitute for specific legal work experience. You might not be able to apply for formal vac schemes yet, can you look for work experience through other sources, do you have any friends or family that work somewhere with a legal department you could shadow for a week? Any small local solicitors where you live that you can get some work experience with etc... Look everywhere you can for legal work experience, whether formal or informal - this in turn improves the chances of getting those formal law firm vac schemes in due course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending