The Student Room Group

Should even try anymore?

So I’m in year 13 and my A level predicted grades are AAA
I chose to take a gap year so I could do more work experience to boost my application. But right now I have nothing. Like I don’t stand out as a student. I barely have the entry requirements grades, I did not do an epq, didn’t do the DofE and no work experience. I have to work so hard on my grades I literally have no time to do any extracurricular to make me stand out. I barely talk in class so my reference letters from teachers must not be great.
I’m also an international student if I’m applying to the UK.
So my question is should I even apply? What are the chances that I can get at least one offer? And what can make me stand out as an applicant?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm guessing you're talking about university applications? Of course you should apply. The worst thing they can say is no. Even if you don't talk much in class, if you're predicted 3 As then your teacher reference letters must be pretty good. There's lots to talk about on your personal statement. Have a look online and you can get some ideas of things that you can mention. Best of luck.
Of course you should still try if vet med is your ambition. I’d say it’s pretty close to 30-50% of my year group aren’t straight from A Levels and have at least taken a gap year. “Barely have entry requirements” doesn’t matter as (apart from Cambridge and potentially Glasgow and Edinburgh) no vet school gives extra merit for grades being above the minimum - it is simply a check in the box that you meet the requirement and can be moved onto the next stage of application. Extra curriculars (including EPQ etc) aren’t really that big of a deal for vet schools, the reason for suggesting them if a student does have time is 1 just extra things you can link your “transferable skills” to to provide evidence for being a good vet student (essentially more to discuss) and 2 vet schools want to know you’ll be able to have hobbies that help you to de stress etc. But it isn’t essential, I had very little in the ways of that too. But work experience IS essential, you don’t know you really want to be a vet until you’ve done it. Please look into booking up your year between now and next October with placements, it is what forms your application process essentially as well as being a requirement in the very same right as grades for a lot of unis. If you are able to do work experience in UK look into the National Sheep Association lambing work experience list as a lot of farmers provide free accommodation and meals, obviously that is seasonal to spring. But if you sort work experience and can get AAA you have as much chance as everyone else so you should definitely try if this is what you really want :smile:
I absolutely agree with the above. AAA is a great set of predictions so congrats and good luck achieving them! Since you're planning on taking a gap year then I would encourage you to focus on your A levels for now and organise lots of placements for your year off. You will need a few weeks in clinical practice, and try to get equine and farm as well as small animal. You will also need husbandry placements, such as the lambing already mentioned. A variety is good, so if possible you could explore dairy farming, poultry farming, pig farming, kennel and cattery work (boarding/rescue), and placements in zoos. Things like marine work, lab placements, APHA/DEFRA (not sure if they do pre-uni placements), abattoirs, etc. are more niche but if possible or of interest will help you stand out. I did extra curriculars in the sense of a couple of hobbies but I didn't do EPQ, DofE, or anything, so don't worry too much about these! If you have things you enjoy in your spare time such as reading or going on walks that's also a good way of showing them you have a way to have some downtime away from studying. Best of luck!
Original post by TheVirtualPhoton
I absolutely agree with the above. AAA is a great set of predictions so congrats and good luck achieving them! Since you're planning on taking a gap year then I would encourage you to focus on your A levels for now and organise lots of placements for your year off. You will need a few weeks in clinical practice, and try to get equine and farm as well as small animal. You will also need husbandry placements, such as the lambing already mentioned. A variety is good, so if possible you could explore dairy farming, poultry farming, pig farming, kennel and cattery work (boarding/rescue), and placements in zoos. Things like marine work, lab placements, APHA/DEFRA (not sure if they do pre-uni placements), abattoirs, etc. are more niche but if possible or of interest will help you stand out. I did extra curriculars in the sense of a couple of hobbies but I didn't do EPQ, DofE, or anything, so don't worry too much about these! If you have things you enjoy in your spare time such as reading or going on walks that's also a good way of showing them you have a way to have some downtime away from studying. Best of luck!

The only caveat of focusing only on A Levels atm is that they'll need the minimum work experience requirements by October 2024 when they apply to meet them (if they're applying to unis which state a minimum number of hours/weeks) which is why I said to try book some in this time frame. But yeah, OP does have all of the longer summer after A Level exams to do a lot of weeks in so it's a good idea to mostly just focus on achieving the grades, although applying with a week or two of lambing in the coming spring could be beneficial. I did also continue to do work experience in my gap year after applying as can still discuss placements done after the deadline in interviews etc.
Original post by RambleAmple
The only caveat of focusing only on A Levels atm is that they'll need the minimum work experience requirements by October 2024 when they apply to meet them (if they're applying to unis which state a minimum number of hours/weeks) which is why I said to try book some in this time frame. But yeah, OP does have all of the longer summer after A Level exams to do a lot of weeks in so it's a good idea to mostly just focus on achieving the grades, although applying with a week or two of lambing in the coming spring could be beneficial. I did also continue to do work experience in my gap year after applying as can still discuss placements done after the deadline in interviews etc.

This is very true - lambing will have to be sooner rather than later! And definitely worth planning early to secure placements before they take other students
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
I just want to say, even though I’m a bit late, thank you for all of the responses they’re all very encouraging and I’m definitely going to try to lambing in the UK or France (I’m french).
I’m also a bit worried about my Igcse grades which were A*A*A*AAAB and I’m not saying those are terrible or bad igcse grades and I’m not trying to discourage anybody who have less than those grades but I feel as though compared to the grades from aspiring vet med students on this website I have significantly lower and fewer Igcse subjects/grades. I see posts such as “I only got 999998877 at gcse should I still apply to vet med???” I just feel as though I couldn’t even compete with those people , so does anybody know if IGCSE/GCSE grades matter? I don’t want to end up having 5 uni rejections after already taking a gap year…

Thanks again!
Original post by Vemihkg
I just want to say, even though I’m a bit late, thank you for all of the responses they’re all very encouraging and I’m definitely going to try to lambing in the UK or France (I’m french).
I’m also a bit worried about my Igcse grades which were A*A*A*AAAB and I’m not saying those are terrible or bad igcse grades and I’m not trying to discourage anybody who have less than those grades but I feel as though compared to the grades from aspiring vet med students on this website I have significantly lower and fewer Igcse subjects/grades. I see posts such as “I only got 999998877 at gcse should I still apply to vet med???” I just feel as though I couldn’t even compete with those people , so does anybody know if IGCSE/GCSE grades matter? I don’t want to end up having 5 uni rejections after already taking a gap year…

Thanks again!

They do matter, but as we just said only in a ticking the box way. Getting straight A*s/9s poses no advantage over someone just meeting the minimum. My GCSEs were 998887766A*A with 6s in maths and physics if that helps. Your grades are amazing don’t put yourself down!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending