The Student Room Group

Mini-Medical School - University of Birmingham

Thought this might be of some interest to prospective Medical Students around the Birmingham area..

Taken from http://www.medicine.bham.ac.uk/courses/mini-med.shtml

"Do you wish you had pursued a Medical Career? Do you just wish that you had paid a little more attention in biology classes at school? Are you confused by the endless stories about health issues you see in the press and would like to know more?"

The Mini-Med school is open to anyone who is interested in learning more. The course assumes no prior scientific knowledge. Each session includes a presentation on the evening's topic, followed by a related hands-on session. Sessions will be provided by medical practitioners and academics based at the University’s Medical School. The Mini-Med School does not attempt to fulfill any academic requirements. You won't get a medical degree nor can you practice medicine, but you will get the chance to learn about medicine from medics. The Mini-Med school will be informative but fun and will provide a scientific background that will improve your understanding of the human body, the doctor’s role and health issues facing us today.

When and Where?

The Mini-medical school is normally held on Wednesday evenings from 7-9 pm for 10 weeks. Start dates for the next courses are 23rd April and 10th September 2008.

The course will be held in the Professional Development Centre of the Medical School at the University of Birmingham.

Course content

Sessions will cover the following topics:

First Aid ~ Cardiovascular disease ~ Asthma and allergies ~ Medicines and Vaccines ~ Psychological disorders ~ Psychiatry ~ Cancer ~ Medical Communication ~ Medical Ethics ~ The history of medicine

What else do you get?

As well as a series of fun and informative presentations your course fee includes course handouts from each session. Each session will also include a refreshment break with tea and coffee, a perfect chance to meet other attendees and to talk to the course presenters and medical students.

A certificate of attendance will be awarded to those attending 7 or more sessions."

If you want to register, copy and paste this link into your browser URL thing:

https://www.bhamonlineshop.co.uk/catalogue/productdetails.asp?prodid=213&deptid=6&catID=13&hasClicked=1

Costs £125.00 inc VAT
6 hours later - anybody considering it?
:hmmmm: is this spam
Reply 3
look up UoL Taster courses - ran by the individual London med schools, and are FREE (although you do need to find your own accomm for courses that last more than a day...)
OP, how much are they paying you for this? :wink: :biggrin:
Speedbird2008
OP, how much are they paying you for this? :wink: :biggrin:

Yes, funnily enough I was actually waiting for that .. they aren't!
No, this isn't spam.
As a prospective medical student myself, I'm greatly appreciative when fellow students post these kinda things .. every little helps and all that jazz :smile:
Reply 6
I don't think it's really aimed at you lot.

It's aimed at members of the community who want to get a bit of an understanding of science and scientific principles. Parents and punter's relatives I guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending