The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You won't get a precise answer, because, to be honest, most people (myself included) tend to group everyone from the far East together. I mean, I know some of the Asian students in my year and subject, and I know some of them are Korean, Malaysian, Chinese and Japanese, but for those I don't talk to I'd be hard pressed to accord an ethnicity, with the exception of the Japanese who do look quite different.
Reply 21
Err, Malaysian isn't an ethnicity, it's a nationality.
Reply 22
I didn't feel like putting ethnicity/nationality. The point is I can't tell the difference, in many cases, between Chinese, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Korean etc etc

I mean, the Han Chinese are fairly distinct from those groups, but there are many Malaysians and others who could be Chinese, and vice versa
Reply 23
Well, it is more complicated than that. There are Malaysians who are Han Chinese (such as myself) - approximately 25% of the population in fact - and there are Malaysians who are not (Malays, Indians). I would be very impressed with anyone who could tell apart Chinese from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore etc. by sight. (By behaviour/speech may be somewhat easier.)
Angelil
If it's anything like Oxford, you'll be fine if all you want to do is speak Chinese to Chinese people, eat Chinese food all the time and basically forget you're in England.

Quoting Uncyclopedia:
'...[Oxford University] is famous for its library, the Bodleian, the Oldest and Mouldiest Library in the World, and for its beautiful colleges, especially Hong Kong'...
:wink:
Reply 25
~Adel~
I'm glad to hear that my peers seem to be quite highly regarded. Btw, what's the chinese student population in Cambridge? I saw somewhere one a website that states that Cambridge has one of the lowest proportion of Chinese students among all the UK universities..

I would have thought so, but the tone of the answers to seems to suggest otherwise.
Reply 26
I'm an Australian born Chinese, currently a fresher doing compsci, and I can say for a fact that there is a Chinese clique and they do stick together a lot. I live in Shanghai currently, but there was a brief period near the beginning of the term when I was in limbo between the Chinese group and everyone else. I kind of chose to hang around with the other compscis, and now I almost never see the other chinese people, except when the kitchen gets completely occupied by their dishes.

I didn't join the Chinese Society because I didn't feel like I needed anyone to reaffirm my culture. Whatever group you end up in will be up to your choices, and who you feel most comfortable with.
Reply 27
Eviole
I would have thought so, but the tone of the answers to seems to suggest otherwise.

Cambridge has a fairly low percentage of international students overall, compared to other universities, at least in undergraduate studies. There are loads of internationals in postgraduate studies though.
Reply 28
SunderX
I'm an Australian born Chinese, currently a fresher doing compsci, and I can say for a fact that there is a Chinese clique and they do stick together a lot. I live in Shanghai currently, but there was a brief period near the beginning of the term when I was in limbo between the Chinese group and everyone else. I kind of chose to hang around with the other compscis, and now I almost never see the other chinese people, except when the kitchen gets completely occupied by their dishes.

I didn't join the Chinese Society because I didn't feel like I needed anyone to reaffirm my culture. Whatever group you end up in will be up to your choices, and who you feel most comfortable with.

Yuan?
Reply 29
Lewi
Yuan?

Hilarious. Andrew?
Reply 30
Naturally :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending