The Student Room Group

How do OCR Mark their A2 2665 German papers?:S

For the last year, I've not been able to help but feel pretty insecure about how OCR mark paper 2665 German paper. My teacher says for section A (listening) you have to transcribe exactly what you hear on the tape and then just change the person (ie, "ich möchte x, y & z ---> sie möchte x, y & z"). Is that right? The same goes for the reading questions:s-smilie: She says I'll be penalised for not transcribing from the tape and the texts like this, however I've just done a past paper there, and it says "Beantworten Sie die folgenden Fragen zum Text AUF DEUTSCH, ohne längere Auszüge aus dem Text zu kopieren." Obviously I'm pretty confused about it all, and so don't know how to focus my exam answers. Do I just do what my teacher says or do I take heed of the exam paper, and write in my own words?:s-smilie:

Thanks in advance to whoever can help!:smile: It'd be particularly good if your teacher is an examiner and you've been told how to answer the questions by them:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I might have transcribed a little but mostly I put everything into my own words.
Reply 2
OP: are you sure that it said that in the listening part of the paper? 'cos I've done a couple of OCR German papers (including June '07), and I'm sure it didn't say that!

I personally don't think it matters either way, i.e. it's fine to transcribe, but it's also acceptable to put it into your own words as long as you get the point across.
Reply 3
jet'aime
OP: are you sure that it said that in the listening part of the paper? 'cos I've done a couple of OCR German papers (including June '07), and I'm sure it didn't say that!

I personally don't think it matters either way, i.e. it's fine to transcribe, but it's also acceptable to put it into your own words as long as you get the point across.

:p: Nooo...that was from the reading section. Sorry if that confused you. I dunno what to do about both parts, because she tells me one thing, saying that if I paraphrase, I'll not get the marks, whereas if I transcribe, I'll get full marks:s-smilie: Gargh...here's to rubbish German teachers!:p:
Reply 4
gooner1592
:p: Nooo...that was from the reading section. Sorry if that confused you. I dunno what to do about both parts, because she tells me one thing, saying that if I paraphrase, I'll not get the marks, whereas if I transcribe, I'll get full marks:s-smilie: Gargh...here's to rubbish German teachers!:p:

lol ok! For the reading, we've been told to put the answers to the questions into our own words as far as possible, because although the mark scheme allows some repetition of words from the original text, you will lose marks if you copy too much from it. It's to be on the safe side, but just make sure you don't distort the meaning!

For the listening, you can do either; it shouldn't matter.
gooner1592
My teacher says for section A (listening) you have to transcribe exactly what you hear on the tape and then just change the person (ie, "ich möchte x, y & z ---> sie möchte x, y & z"). Is that right?

Yeah, my teacher told me the same for my OCR paper. The point is, when the paper is being marked, the examiners only want to see that you have the right answer (for the listening part). You don't get any extra marks or marks deducted for directly transcribing. It's the easiest way to do it, and even if you aren't too clear on what's being said, you can still make fairly accurate guesses.

gooner1592
The same goes for the reading questions:s-smilie: She says I'll be penalised for not transcribing from the tape and the texts like this, however I've just done a past paper there, and it says "Beantworten Sie die folgenden Fragen zum Text AUF DEUTSCH, ohne längere Auszüge aus dem Text zu kopieren." Obviously I'm pretty confused about it all, and so don't know how to focus my exam answers. Do I just do what my teacher says or do I take heed of the exam paper, and write in my own words?:s-smilie:

It's quite weird that your teacher told you to do the same when the paper directly contradicts.. My teacher told us to do what the paper says for this bit, and try and find new ways of saying what's already in the text.
Give your teacher a bitchslap from me- she's totally trying to sabotage your life :p:
assuming your teacher is a woman, that is...

is she?
Reply 7
bingo brown
Yeah, my teacher told me the same for my OCR paper. The point is, when the paper is being marked, the examiners only want to see that you have the right answer (for the listening part). You don't get any extra marks or marks deducted for directly transcribing. It's the easiest way to do it, and even if you aren't too clear on what's being said, you can still make fairly accurate guesses.

It's quite weird that your teacher told you to do the same when the paper directly contradicts.. My teacher told us to do what the paper says for this bit, and try and find new ways of saying what's already in the text.
Give your teacher a bitchslap from me- she's totally trying to sabotage your life :p:

Heh...yesh, it's a she:p: It comes to something when I trust somebody on a forum more than my teacher:p: Gargh...it's good to know that transcribing is acceptable in the listening section though, given that I obviously change "ich" to "er/sie" etc obviously:^_^:

Thanks very much for clearing this up!:smile:
No worries, guy
Reply 9
anyone know where i can get the german OCR past papers please? checked the OCR website, didn't have any. - (they had the 2007 series, but all the texts were missing :mad: )

for the listening, you can transcribe and won't be penalised, but you might lose out on quality of language, but the reading, you definately cannot lift the text.
My college had them all, so other than asking tutors I'm not sure.
Reply 11
hannah_dru
My college had them all, so other than asking tutors I'm not sure.

uh huh. my school has them all as well, but it's closed until monday, and the prufung is wednesday :eek:
Technically they should've given you them earlier then. That's quite bad!
Reply 13
hannah_dru
Technically they should've given you them earlier then. That's quite bad!

well... technically they did, but i forgot to get them, cause it was study leave:redface:

somebody pleeeasse help me:frown: i need an A cause im going to study in germany for a year!!!
The only other thing to do is to just read texts online and maybe write a summary in your own words to help with your reading skills and sort of helping with being able to answer questions.
Reply 15
unikq
anyone know where i can get the german OCR past papers please? checked the OCR website, didn't have any. - (they had the 2007 series, but all the texts were missing :mad: )

for the listening, you can transcribe and won't be penalised, but you might lose out on quality of language, but the reading, you definately cannot lift the text.

As long as what you've written is accurate, they shouldn't do this even if you have transcribed.
I tend to just transcribe from the tape. It's asked in the 3rd person anyway so you do put er/sie/es etc rather than ich, but I try and copy as much as possible. As you change it from ich then it's not a direct copy anyway. :smile:

As for the reading section, I think they prefer you to use your own words.
Reply 17
It's very well worth getting a copy of the "examiners report" for the respective examining body that you are taking the exams through. It describes the whole process, and how well the examiner thinks that particular batch of students coped with the exam. It describes what was required for each unit, and the marking scheme. Well worth a look to see what is being asked for in the exams.

I've attached an example so you can see what each report looks like. It's the OCR version for German January 2007.

Regards etc...
Reply 18
And I quote from the Examiners Report above (for section A - listening): "Centres should note that in this section there is no need for candidates to put the answers in their own words: accurate transcription is invaluable."

That answers my original question perfectly:smile:
Reply 19
Gooner... what I posted was just an example.. and for the AS. I haven't cross-checked the AS with the A2. It "might" be that the A2 has stricter rules. It was just to point out how useful the examiners reports are. Glad it answered your question though.. eventually lol.

(PS. If you're a Gooner, you should at least have a red frog lol).

Latest

Trending

Trending