The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Dropping uni

Hey,
I have recently just enrolled at university about 2 days ago and it is not for me, I have a job lined up ready for me to go into.
What my question is do I still need to pay off my student loan or at least some of it?
My student finance has not even gone through with yet as I still need to send documents to them.
I’m in quite a dilemma and I don’t want to drop out if I have to pay the full course fee, as I have only been there like 2 days
I'm in the same boat- left the uni on 22nd, but they said I never came and withdrew on 1st Aug. They said I dont have to pay for 25% of the fees- generally, if you leave within the first full weeks you dont pay tuition but check with your uni and SFE.

My issue is I'm not sure if I have to pay my maintenance back in full, as I needed to live on it when I was in halls at uni. I have the bulk of it but have spent about £500 as I had to pay for early withdrawal in my accom, food, and general living expenses like the bus and subway when I was there. But as uni said I never was there, I'm worried they'll ask for it back in full immediately!
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Dajeweller
Hey,
I have recently just enrolled at university about 2 days ago and it is not for me, I have a job lined up ready for me to go into.
What my question is do I still need to pay off my student loan or at least some of it?
My student finance has not even gone through with yet as I still need to send documents to them.
I’m in quite a dilemma and I don’t want to drop out if I have to pay the full course fee, as I have only been there like 2 days

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying-for-university/changing-or-leaving-your-course

"If you leave in the first term you will be charged 25% of the tuition fees for that academic year."

So unfortunately you'll have to pay £2312.50. Bit if youve decided uni is definitely not for you,you should just go from the job and pay the money obey back later. It's a bit annoying having to pay a quarter of the years fees for only two day but it's better than wasting £30000 on something you won't enjoy or won't get any benefit from.

wish you luck
Go and speak to The Hub (ground floor, main building). They will advise you on financial implications and how to withdraw.

Quick Reply

Latest