The Student Room Group

Advanced English Dissertation

Originally I was going to compare a clockwork orange and the outsiders in relation to the theme of violence. But upon reading them I discovered that a clockwork orange was impossible to understand and the outsiders was too basic in comparison.
I now want to base mine on how violence affects others? So I was thinking about using the virgin suicides as one book. Why would be another that I could compare this to?
Original post by Amylousie22
Originally I was going to compare a clockwork orange and the outsiders in relation to the theme of violence. But upon reading them I discovered that a clockwork orange was impossible to understand and the outsiders was too basic in comparison.
I now want to base mine on how violence affects others? So I was thinking about using the virgin suicides as one book. Why would be another that I could compare this to?

This sounds a little general to me. Sorry. I think you need to really narrow down on what you are interested in exploring. For example, if you are interested in the impact society has on women (and the violence often perpetrated against women) go for "the handmaid's tale" and "the virgin suicides". If you are interested in how women commit violence on themselves, "the bell jar" and "the virgin suicides" might be an interesting comparison - for a contrast of time period alone.

Then again, we can get into the whole notion of violence being something that serves a purpose "fight club" is an interesting novel to look at here.
Or you can look at the cathartic nature of violence: "death in the afternoon".

This might sound confusing, but the joy here is that there are lots of different angles and lots of different texts you could look at. The trick is finding something you really want to get into, and narrowing down on that. Sometimes that means reading stuff and discarding it. But the pleasure is in the discovery!
Hi I was thinking of doing the bell jar and the virgin suicides but might not be able to do the bell jar, do you have any other pairings with the virgin suicides that would work looking at mens pov if women/young girls and mental health, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending