The Student Room Group
If you care I think you should consider a career as an LPC/BVC tutor and/or an editor of the Civil/Criminal Procedure rules :s-smilie::s-smilie:.
Reply 2
Just saw an example of the media accurately reporting a case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7364422.stm

It would have been all too easy for them to go "ZOMG!!1one!1 bankz pwnzed by coorts 4 bein unfare!11"

Instead, they make clear that all that is happened is that the court has said that the OFT can apply consumer contract regulations to see whether overdraft charges are fair or not. They specifically make clear that he expressed no real view on whether the charges were unfair or not: "This does not necessarily mean they [the charges] are unfair". Still, I'm sure that the OFT will find that the charges are unfair, thus heralding the end of 'free banking'. Grr.

I think that with the BAE story the media has misrepresented what is happening, but I'm not sure it will really be of that much significance. In the same way as it seems inevitable that the OFT will find the charges unfair, I can't really imagine the HL will refuse leave to appeal as the case is almost certainly going to go there, no matter what the route. But I agree, the media could be a lot clearer on what actually is happening.
Yeah I know, I too was impressed by their reporting of the Banking Charges Case, whic I think will turn out to be a very important decision even though they didn't say that the charges were unfair.

On the Judge John Deed I must confess it is extremely misrepresentative, but I like it for sheer humour purposes.
Reply 4
I think this happens ALL THE TIME, but having discussed it with my medic friends I think it's just as bad for medical/scientific stuff, I just don't have the knowledge to know when they are making mistakes in the media. I was watching a drama the other day with a storyline based on a non-existent law, and then they tried to revive the victim with a defibrillator as they always do on dramas, "CLEAR! CLEAR!" and my medic friend said that in the circumstances a defibrillator would never be used (for some reason - I forget! :rolleyes: )...not to mention all those films where someone wakes up from a long-term coma with no brain damage at all - practically impossible apparently...
Reply 5
There was a classic bit in a House episode that I saw the other day. Some guy had had brain cancer which had resulted in paralysis after it was surgically removed. He'd been in a wheelchair for eight or so years and they made reference to how all his muscles had atrophied and stuff.

Then House comes up with some magical diagnosis of Addison's Disease, they inject the guy with cortisol and five seconds later he manages to lift himself out of his wheelchair and hug his wife and son. I'm fairly sure that:

(a) Cortisol wouldn't cure the disease in such a way: the effect was instantaneous!
(b) Someone who has been in a wheelchair for eight years, and whose muscles have atrophied would not be able to stand up out of that wheelchair without some serious assistance.

I hardly know anything about medicine but even I could see that that was absurd! I think that medical dramas misrepresent a hell of a lot of stuff, probably to the same extent as legal dramas. It's far more dramatic to have somebody's condition improve or detiorate in a couple of seconds, than it is to have it do so over a matter of weeks!
Yeah that does sound suspicious, even if it could cure the disease, there's no way it could cure the muscle wastage 8 years of not moving would cause...

Latest

Trending

Trending