Scroll to see replies

Well, at my school at AS we do:
C1, C2, S1
Then at A2 we do
C3, C4, S2
Further Maths people at AS do:
FP1, M1, D1
and I don't know about A2.

As for which is hardest, I've only done 3 and I think S1's the hardest, as there's writing in it and some of the questions aren't very obvious with what they're asking.
Reply 2
Having (just) studied Maths and Further Maths MEI.

(c1-c4, fp1,fp2, m1/2, s1/2, d1, nm)

I would say FP2 is pretty difficult probably the hardest. M2 is fairly difficult.

Numerical Methods (NM) is the ultimate number crunching module :wink:. Not hard but requires a lot of quick maths on calculator.

FP1 is straight forward ( no calculus), not much harder than C2/C3.

D1 is really strange at first but there is not much content to learn and generally it is really low level maths, v easy module to learn.

S1, S2, M1 are pretty easy modules so should be straight forward.
Reply 3
I've done C1, C2, S1, NM, FP1, M1 in AS and NM was the longest and i did worst in that module.
This year i'm doing C3, C4, S2, FP2, M3, M2. M3 is quite tough and FP2 is hard but once you get your head around FP2 it isn't that bad. Right now M3 is the toughest for me.
Reply 4
chinqu
I've done C1, C2, S1, NM, FP1, M1 in AS and NM was the longest and i did worst in that module.
This year i'm doing C3, C4, S2, FP2, M3, M2. M3 is quite tough and FP2 is hard but once you get your head around FP2 it isn't that bad. Right now M3 is the toughest for me.

Yeah i agree , i think FP2 was really really difficult to begin with, but I am definitely getting my head around it, just need to learn hyperbolic functions and I should be on track.

Personally I found that although NM was difficult to being with, it soon became easy because you just learn the methods and the only problem is carrying them out as quickly as possible on the calculator ~ as the timing for the exam was very tight. ~ Part of NM is coursework additionally so its only 80% exam which made it slightly easier and gave me a confidence boost.
wow id never heard of Nm until now!
what dyu have to do in it exactly?
im currently doing maths n further maths
At our school we do c1,c2,s1,m1,fp1,d1 in yr12 and then c3,c4,fp2,s2,m2,d2/m3/s3
i think...
lol i loved d1 i did it in yr11
however fp1 is a bit of a joke for me
and i love m1 but am soooo bad at it, i wanna do m2 next year but not sure if im gd enough :frown:
Reply 6
Well, you need to know Trapezium Rule + Simpson's Rule + midpoint rule all estimating intergrals using Numerical Methods.

Then you use Numerical to find the roots of equations etc, mainly it is ways of finding solutions for problems using non - pure maths methods.
ebam_uk
Well, you need to know Trapezium Rule + Simpson's Rule + midpoint rule all estimating intergrals using Numerical Methods.

Then you use Numerical to find the roots of equations etc, mainly it is ways of finding solutions for problems using non - pure maths methods.

What's the difference in using the Trapezium rule and Mid-point rule from what you do in C2?

If my maths teacher lets me, i wanna do the Further AS and A2 next year alongside the A2 Maths. I'm gonna be doing:
C3,C4,S2(A2)
FP1,M1,NM(AS further)
FP2,M2,Differential Equations(A2 further)

Do you think these modules are okay to do or will they be too much work?
Is it just me that doesn't find M1 as easy as it's meant to be? I often make careless mistakes :frown:
Reply 9
yellowjacket
What's the difference in using the Trapezium rule and Mid-point rule from what you do in C2?

If my maths teacher lets me, i wanna do the Further AS and A2 next year alongside the A2 Maths. I'm gonna be doing:
C3,C4,S2(A2)
FP1,M1,NM(AS further)
FP2,M2,Differential Equations(A2 further)

Do you think these modules are okay to do or will they be too much work?

Well if u imagine the trapezium rule, it gives either an overestimate or an underestimate, depending on the shape of the curve. However since the midpoint rule uses rectangles, unlike the trapezia. You will get a slightly different area.
ebam_uk
Well if u imagine the trapezium rule, it gives either an overestimate or an underestimate, depending on the shape of the curve. However since the midpoint rule uses rectangles, unlike the trapezia. You will get a slightly different area.

Oh sorry, i phrased the question badly.
I meant how is the work on the trapezium rule and mid-point rule different in NM from the work that you do in C2?
Reply 11
Well you go into more detailed analysis, its not really much different tbh, just further applications and applying it to slightly more difficult questions with more iterations!

You have to also consider how fast it converges to the real value of the area etc. Essentially its the same as C2 as far as I am concerned!
ebam_uk
Well you go into more detailed analysis, its not really much different tbh, just further applications and applying it to slightly more difficult questions with more iterations!

You have to also consider how fast it converges to the real value of the area etc. Essentially its the same as C2 as far as I am concerned!

Oh cool, do you recon those nine modules i mentioned are do-able in a year?
I'm planning to do FP1 and M1 over the summer so i can start A2 straight away.
Reply 13
Definitely worth doing, although, personally I did

AS: C1,c2,s1, fp1,nm,d1

A2 c3,c4,fp2,m2,s2,m1

I would recommend you to look @ c3,c4 for because a lot of fp2 requires c3/c4 and not knowing it makes fp2 difficult.

I reckon those 9 modules are definitely doable, although NM & maybe ( DE), has coursework so that could be worth getting out of the way!
Deipnosophist123
Is it just me that doesn't find M1 as easy as it's meant to be? I often make careless mistakes :frown:

dont worry im absolutely useless at M1! im so gonna muff up on friday!!
thing is tho, i must prefer it to boring statistics
i wanna do m2 next year on the basis its more interesting
but itll be hard...
Reply 15
M2 there is a lot more to remember than M1. M1 all you need to know really is to resolve and that f=ma
For normal Maths at AS we do C1, C2 and D1. At A2 we do C3, C4 and the option of S1 or M1.
Our normal maths is AQA (C1-4, M1 & 2), but our further maths is D1, FP1, NM, D2, FP2, DE
Reply 18
I'm in the process of doing the Normal and Further Maths courses for MEI:

Normal Maths: C1-4, S1, S2

Further Maths: FP1, FP2, M1, then three of M2, FP3, D1, DE (I'm doing all four of these so the worst will be discounted).

I personally find most of them OK, just D1 is immensely boring so I don't really do all the necessary work because I'd rather do FP2 which is at least interesting. I actually find FP3 harder than FP2 (most say its the other way around) but I think that's largely because I haven't done much revision for FP3 yet and ultimately it should be fine.

I actually found S2 and M2 the hardest so far, but that's probably because I also found them quite boring so didn't do as much work as perhaps I should have done. That being said I still got 84 and 87 in them, so I didn't find them impossible or anything.
This year I am sitting: C1, C2, FP1, S1, D1

Next Year I will be sitting: C3, C4, FP2, M1, S2, and possibly M2 and/or S3 and/or NM and/or DE.

Of the modules I have studied, D1 is the hardest simply because it introduces foreign concepts. FP1 takes some getting used to at first but it's pretty cool (exam in 7 hours!!).

I will have to self-teach M1 and (if I take it) M2, as well as partially having to self-teach C3 due to a 2-week absence in July.

Latest