The Student Room Group

Getting Kathy fit again. (injury recovery and fitness regaining blog)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kathy89
Today is better. Rested all the day. Had a minor headache.
My blood test was fine, even the B12, not sure why they gave me the pills if it is stable. Still I started taking it.
Tomorrow (today) I'm going back to work.
I guess it was weather and stress related migraine.

Food
Breakfast: Piece of chocolate cake and jasmine tea
Snack: Apple and banana
Lunch: Rice with eggplant and Sichuan souce, Burmese salad and lemonade
Snack: carrot
Dinner: Peas and lentils loaf. humus, pickles, some veggie salad
Snack: Tea and some sweets

Glad to hear you got that deserved rest and are feeling a little better :smile:
Yeah ever since my own family sometimes been given certain medicines or stabilisers that have caused bad side affects I am a bit eery if I ever got told to take something :redface:

What do you do for work btw?
progress pic
Reply 62
Original post by benwhite13
progress pic

Honestly, I didn't change much.
Reply 63
Original post by Kraggor
Glad to hear you got that deserved rest and are feeling a little better :smile:
Yeah ever since my own family sometimes been given certain medicines or stabilisers that have caused bad side affects I am a bit eery if I ever got told to take something :redface:

What do you do for work btw?

B12 is pretty safe, almost no side effects at all, if you are healthy there are no side effects usually, so this is the reason why it's given to any vegan no matter how good are the blood test results.
I don't want to take any serious medication and avoid it till I really need it. This time I didn't estimate it could go that bad, but still, I won't take strong meds if I have a migraine, maybe I just make sure I take some with me, however, most of the time they are not effective if migraine is already bad. That's why my mom always take them as a precaution.

I'm an agent in a contact lenses company. So a lot of my work is meetings with customers (optical stores) and paper work.
Original post by Kathy89
B12 is pretty safe, almost no side effects at all, if you are healthy there are no side effects usually, so this is the reason why it's given to any vegan no matter how good are the blood test results.
I don't want to take any serious medication and avoid it till I really need it. This time I didn't estimate it could go that bad, but still, I won't take strong meds if I have a migraine, maybe I just make sure I take some with me, however, most of the time they are not effective if migraine is already bad. That's why my mom always take them as a precaution.

I'm an agent in a contact lenses company. So a lot of my work is meetings with customers (optical stores) and paper work.

Yeah, they have to do that because they assume they aren't getting enough because usually found in meat but there are so many other things that have it in plus I know you can get these like B12 seasoners now too :smile: My dutch friend has to take them but he isn't vegan just has this condition that doesn't allow his body to absorb certain vitamins the main one being B12.

Strong meds are a no go for me. Unless I knew I was pretty much about to go xD

Oh that's awesome! That's a new job I've heard of from someone :eek: You have to travel alot for that? Or is that just local optical stores? Eye work sounds interesting :u:
Reply 65
Original post by Kraggor
Oh that's awesome! That's a new job I've heard of from someone :eek: You have to travel alot for that? Or is that just local optical stores? Eye work sounds interesting :u:

I am an optometrist. The job is mainly dealing with finances, but the more interesting part is the actual instructing other optometrists about the lenses. From time to time I work in stores as well as a replacement optometrist if the one in the store is sick or something.
I mostly travel around the area I work at (which is almost half of Israel, but Israel is a small country). Still haven't been on any trip abroad yet.
Hey Kathy! Long time :tongue:
Been following this blog but not very up to date. I think I'll have to now (since I can relate :redface:)

Hope you've recovered from the recent sickness and migraine :hugs: get well soon x
Original post by Kathy89
I am an optometrist. The job is mainly dealing with finances, but the more interesting part is the actual instructing other optometrists about the lenses. From time to time I work in stores as well as a replacement optometrist if the one in the store is sick or something.
I mostly travel around the area I work at (which is almost half of Israel, but Israel is a small country). Still haven't been on any trip abroad yet.

I'd want to do something like that you know.... But it seems hard to find jobs like that....I never even heard of it before.

So any optometrist can do that? Is there a course you have to do?
Original post by Kathy89

Oh sweet! That sounds super awesome though tbh especially for a finance job :smile: Also, did not know you live in Israel :eek: Is this a job you would look to keep advancing and developing your career?

Oo no abroad trips? Is that something you hope to do in the future? I have a friend I talk to all the time and he lives in Saudi Arabia as a training dentist at uni and he has never left but that is due to more strict rules :redface: Even though he can't come out to visit he still manages to send gifts (unfortuantely I can't send back due to tight air force).
Reply 69
Original post by EyestriX
Hey Kathy! Long time :tongue:
Been following this blog but not very up to date. I think I'll have to now (since I can relate :redface:)

Hope you've recovered from the recent sickness and migraine :hugs: get well soon x

Thanks! :smile:
I'd want to do something like that you know.... But it seems hard to find jobs like that....I never even heard of it before.

So any optometrist can do that? Is there a course you have to do?

It is less of a practicing optometrist, most of the job is the distribution, special fittings and explanation part is a very small part of the job. The payment is less than a practicing optometrist, but I like that kind of job more. I am never bored of doing nothing waiting for clients etc....
You don't have to be an optometrist to be an agent, we are 2 optometrists and 3 agents who aren't even opticians. There are courses, mostly after you are already hired, you are taught about the specific lenses the company is selling, there are a lot of tricks and tips about them, especially the progressives and the toric ones.
Original post by Kraggor
Oh sweet! That sounds super awesome though tbh especially for a finance job :smile: Also, did not know you live in Israel :eek: Is this a job you would look to keep advancing and developing your career?

Oo no abroad trips? Is that something you hope to do in the future? I have a friend I talk to all the time and he lives in Saudi Arabia as a training dentist at uni and he has never left but that is due to more strict rules :redface: Even though he can't come out to visit he still manages to send gifts (unfortuantely I can't send back due to tight air force).

I don't really care about advancing at the moment. I like the people there and I'd like to start a second career, I'd like to study Naturopathy, maybe some courses of irridiology and nutrition.
There are continuing education programs abroad sponsored by the manufacturers of the lenses (but not fully covered), we can go there once or twice a year, depends on the meetings they arrange. I just never managed to be on one. In addition, you can simply read the papers later and not wasting 3 days for that.
Reply 70
Feeling much better today. I even biked for about 30 minutes to the mall to buy some winter shoes that were on sale.

Food
Breakfast: Coffee with a peanut butter toast, and an apple
Snack: 2 Bananas and some nuts
Lunch: Pasta with sweet sauce and tofu (and onions, and some other greens)
Snack: 2 coconut cookies (passover cookies)
Dinner: Peas and lentils loaf. baked potato, sweet potato, beet and squash (and some onions).
Snack: seaweed crackers, tea and chocolate.
Original post by Kathy89

I see. So anyone can become an agent or is there a specific quality they are looking for?
Original post by Kathy89
I don't really care about advancing at the moment. I like the people there and I'd like to start a second career, I'd like to study Naturopathy, maybe some courses of irridiology and nutrition.
There are continuing education programs abroad sponsored by the manufacturers of the lenses (but not fully covered), we can go there once or twice a year, depends on the meetings they arrange. I just never managed to be on one. In addition, you can simply read the papers later and not wasting 3 days for that.

Naturopathy looks fantastic :smile: Maybe you could help me our with nutrition :P In a few months time I will be going more into that :yep:

Aww, you don't want to come to great britian and have our majesty's finest fish and chips? :laugh: Your loss :wink:
I do hope everything goes as you want it to if so can help it :h: Looks like you are set on the right track though :smile:
Reply 73
I see. So anyone can become an agent or is there a specific quality they are looking for?

You don't have to be an optometrist but it's a great bonus. They actually did look for someone with a degree in optometry for the position when I was hired, although most of the agents are just basically sales persons. I don't know how I was hired because I'm not a good sales person, social anxiety and lack of self confidence are my weak points, but I guess honesty and being cute was enough. I like helping people and I'm usually a happy person which is a good thing, I explain things with a smile, I'm not trying to sell something, I just explain the benefits and the other person feels it's completely their choice so they are not feeling pressured to buy, and for me it works better. I also like explaining the down sides and the disadvantages of the product so when the product meets the expectation customers know how to deal with it and it prevents a lot of problems and returns (which is very important in specially made contact lenses that cost the company a good share).
Original post by Kraggor
Naturopathy looks fantastic :smile: Maybe you could help me our with nutrition :P In a few months time I will be going more into that :yep:

Aww, you don't want to come to great britian and have our majesty's finest fish and chips? :laugh: Your loss :wink:
I do hope everything goes as you want it to if so can help it :h: Looks like you are set on the right track though :smile:

I want to work more on healing with nutrition. I mean I believe that a lot of health problems can be prevented and even healed using a proper nutrition and natural medicine.

I want to visit UK one day, not sure I want a business trip to UK though....
Original post by Kathy89

I want to work more on healing with nutrition. I mean I believe that a lot of health problems can be prevented and even healed using a proper nutrition and natural medicine.

I want to visit UK one day, not sure I want a business trip to UK though....

It will likely be the future honestly, I loved reading on the thought s around natural and herbal remedies but for modern treatment and super important high security seed banks like svalbard which will be vital for human life extension once we burn through the rest of our resources and also when we stop artificially/torturing our own resources into existence for pretty much no reason :s-smilie:
Really hope you can find a path into that business though, would be really interesting to see your work and effect on the world :smile:

Yeah visiting countries not on business is always the best way :h:
Reply 75
Was at the gym today, worked a bit on weights, mostly arms today. Despite being a basketball player my arms are pretty weak, flexible, fast, but weak. Now all my hands are itchy and tired. Gym is actually fun.
The only negative thing about the gym is the looks from random guys. I never felt secure with my looks, and guys staring at me for longer than 5 seconds starting to fill me with these insecurities again... I'm skinny and flat, tight clothes which are the most comfortable for gym are making me look even more skinny and flat than usual, I know guys are looking at every girl, but catching someone that checks me out makes me feel bad. Girls are looking at me too, especially overweight mid 30's women who look at me like "wtf you are doing here.".... I got these looks all my life and was treated like I have an eating disorder. I know most of it is just in my head, but still I feel a bit more insecure there. But still, it is fun.
When I was at highschool, in the basketball and athletic team and we had to spend time in a gym I felt much worse. I used to hide in the corner, to look for a place where less people will look at me and be glasses/contacts free so I won't see them looking at me.... now I don't care that much, but still it is annoying and making me feel insecure.
Original post by Kathy89
Was at the gym today, worked a bit on weights, mostly arms today. Despite being a basketball player my arms are pretty weak, flexible, fast, but weak. Now all my hands are itchy and tired. Gym is actually fun.
The only negative thing about the gym is the looks from random guys. I never felt secure with my looks, and guys staring at me for longer than 5 seconds starting to fill me with these insecurities again... I'm skinny and flat, tight clothes which are the most comfortable for gym are making me look even more skinny and flat than usual, I know guys are looking at every girl, but catching someone that checks me out makes me feel bad. Girls are looking at me too, especially overweight mid 30's women who look at me like "wtf you are doing here.".... I got these looks all my life and was treated like I have an eating disorder. I know most of it is just in my head, but still I feel a bit more insecure there. But still, it is fun.
When I was at highschool, in the basketball and athletic team and we had to spend time in a gym I felt much worse. I used to hide in the corner, to look for a place where less people will look at me and be glasses/contacts free so I won't see them looking at me.... now I don't care that much, but still it is annoying and making me feel insecure.

hey hope youre okay, dont pay attention to it, stick on your music and power through the work out

when i started gymming, i was around 70kg and quite over weight, i got looks, and i know its scary, but you have to learn to over come it and go in with a mind set that youre going to work out and come back stronger

whats your diet like?
Reply 77
Original post by CleverSquirrel
hey hope youre okay, dont pay attention to it, stick on your music and power through the work out

when i started gymming, i was around 70kg and quite over weight, i got looks, and i know its scary, but you have to learn to over come it and go in with a mind set that youre going to work out and come back stronger

whats your diet like?

I don't pay attention, it is subconscious, you know, things you notice and thoughts that come on their own, you can't really help it. I'm ok with it.... I mean I'm trying to convince myself I'm ok with it.

I eat mostly vegan (sometimes may eat something that contains eggs or diary... prefer not to... I was much more strict on that, but working outside of home with little time to eat I stopped being so strict... now I'm almost back to a fully vegan diet.
When I was vegan eating mostly raw, my health was the best, these were the few years with minimum migraines and allergies, I also noticed that now I have period cramps much more often... they are not that bad, but still, especially if I eat diary when it starts.
I eat over 1200 calories, most of the time around 1500.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 78
Well.... A lot of strange updates this time.... The main one - I have asthma.... yeah, I am shocked too....

I had hay-fever since being a child, usually a runny nose and red and itchy eyes... nothing more serious than that.
The past week and a half the weather here is awful, there is dust in the air, everywhere. So it started with red eyes, then runny nose, and finally a dry cough that was getting worse and worse. I felt great, managed to do everything, even went to the gym, where I noticed it gets much worse while working out. A few people, some of them have asthma, told me that it looks like asthma rather than cold... and I was sure it is not cold, but it is not possible I have asthma... knowing my problem admiting weaknesses and problems (The first stage I deny having a problem, later I accept it.... long story explaining it, but I'm aware of the issue now), so anyways, I went to a doctor knowing it is probably just an allergy and everything is fine and it'd go away in a few days... but not... guess what?! He confirmed it is asthma... seasonal asthma... so it is allergy, but much worse... so I got an inhaler.....

I've never been so ill in such a short period of time... I know that frequent changes in diet are bad, and it is something that can happen. In addition some personal emotional stuff can have an impact on the health too... Now I think I need cleansing diet/fasting....

Anyways.... I have good news as well....
1. Got much better at weight lifting and I managed to pull myself up on a poll one time... I'm getting stronger, even without breathing....XD
2. Learned to keep myself hydrated (started drinking more and getting used to that).... yeah, I do have to pee more often too but it is good.
3. Managed to run 5km before the asthma started.

Anyway, now I'm using the inhaler, when coughing gets out of control... it helps.... and allergy pills. Although I am still sure it is not so bad.

Oh.... and another good thing.... I weight myself right now and I am 42.2kg.... yay!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 79
I'm dealing with a lot of personal issues right now and it effects my physical condition as well. However, I managed to gain some weight this week, I'm 43kg now, which is great... still a lot to gain but I feel I'm on the right path.

I didn't run much this week. Taking allergy pills and I've used the inhaler twice. I'm taking it with me, but I do workout every other day. I also walk a lot, I'm not counting how much but I just walk, more just to escape reality than training.

Quick Reply

Latest