The Student Room Group

How to not put on weight after operation

I had an operation on Thursday last week and I have been told to take at least 3 weeks off from exercise whilst I recover. This is bothering me because I do some form of exercise every day of the week, it is mostly swimming I do but I also go to the gym or go out for a run or a hike. So now I am worrying as to what I can do so I don't put on weight over the next few weeks, after the operation the weekend was just a write off as I wasn't feeling too great and just ate comfort food but now I am determined to not put weight on.

Is there anything I can do to not put weight on besides watching what I eat? I did go for a little walk today to the corner shop but it really tired me out and hurt quite a bit due to where the stitches from my operation are so I doubt I will be walking anywhere again over the next few days.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I had an operation on Thursday last week and I have been told to take at least 3 weeks off from exercise whilst I recover. This is bothering me because I do some form of exercise every day of the week, it is mostly swimming I do but I also go to the gym or go out for a run or a hike. So now I am worrying as to what I can do so I don't put on weight over the next few weeks, after the operation the weekend was just a write off as I wasn't feeling too great and just ate comfort food but now I am determined to not put weight on.

Is there anything I can do to not put weight on besides watching what I eat? I did go for a little walk today to the corner shop but it really tired me out and hurt quite a bit due to where the stitches from my operation are so I doubt I will be walking anywhere again over the next few days.

I know it's difficult but try not to stress too much about putting on weight. (In my experience) your body will be working so hard to recover after the operation it will be soaking up extra calories as if you were exercising even more than usual, if anything now is the time to eat healthily and a lot to recover as well as possible. The main thing right now is looking after yourself so that once you're fully recovered you can come back in better shape than you would if you pushed yourself through the recovery period.
I understand it can be difficult not to exercise and feel like you're losing progress while you're injured or ill, but even if some aspects aren't getting as much practice as usual a rest can do wonders in letting your body recharge, sort out any lingering injuries, and reset after being pushed hard. There's a reason athletes have off seasons!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

From what you've been told by the doctors, and from your own experiences from today, you need to take at least 3 weeks off from exercise. Don't try to push your body before it's ready, otherwise it'll be much longer until you're fully recovered.

It's a few weeks. You're not going to gain a significant amount of weight, or lose a significant amount of fitness. Keep eating properly, and look after yourself. Your weight naturally fluctuates throughout life, and that's ok. Right now your main focus should be HEALING. Your body's been through a lot, and restricting your intake, or trying to exercise before your body is ready, will ultimately be detrimental to your overall health.

If one of your main purposes for doing exercise is to control your weight, I think you really need to reconsider your relationship around food and exercise once you've recovered from your operation it might be a good idea to talk to a GP or someone similar about this.
Exercise is something to be enjoyed, something we can do to fully appreciate what our bodies are capable of. It should not be a "I have to do this in order to do/be/have that" thing. Taking time off from time to time, and not worrying about it, is important and necessary it gives your body a break, and helps reinforce your passion for doing the thing you love :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest