The Student Room Group

Getting Kathy fit again. (injury recovery and fitness regaining blog)

Scroll to see replies

:hugs: asthma can be horrible. I have it too and i wake up coughing (in an attempt to breathe) but for some reason mine is not dry in the morning, I get a lot of mucus build up when I forget to take my brown inhaler. It's probably a combination of some other thing (i believe it's post nasal drip as nose is also constant blocked all year around 😂) I probably shouldn't be self-diagnosing myself but going to the doctor (or rather getting an appointment) for things seem quiet petty to ME :redface:

Also I have a question for you
When you're working out or running, can you feel something deep in your lungs moving...like mucus? Not at the back of your throat, INSIDE your lungs?
It happens to me when I run, jump or do some intorsion/extortion movements and I thought it was because of asthma but I'm not sure.
My GP couldn't feel anything in my lungs.. But5i swear when I do even mild exercise I can feel something in my lungs or like in my bronchi
Btw 1200 calories a day?
If you're trying to gain weight that's not enough :redface:
Reply 82
Original post by EyestriX
:hugs: asthma can be horrible. I have it too and i wake up coughing (in an attempt to breathe) but for some reason mine is not dry in the morning, I get a lot of mucus build up when I forget to take my brown inhaler. It's probably a combination of some other thing (i believe it's post nasal drip as nose is also constant blocked all year around 😂) I probably shouldn't be self-diagnosing myself but going to the doctor (or rather getting an appointment) for things seem quiet petty to ME :redface:

Also I have a question for you
When you're working out or running, can you feel something deep in your lungs moving...like mucus? Not at the back of your throat, INSIDE your lungs?
It happens to me when I run, jump or do some intorsion/extortion movements and I thought it was because of asthma but I'm not sure.
My GP couldn't feel anything in my lungs.. But5i swear when I do even mild exercise I can feel something in my lungs or like in my bronchi

Seasonal asthma is a bit different. Basically it is more sort of an allergic reaction. It feels like it's on the back of the throat but it is more in the bronchus. The coughing is dry most of the time, in the morning it is less dry. My lungs are fine, it could spread there if left untreated. I don't know how to explain it because it is neither a rush nor an inflammation. I also find it harder to inhale than exhale, sometimes I like stuck while inhaling.

You might have sort of asthma too... if the inhaler helps, it might be asthma... visit a doctor about it. Try to explain as detailed as possible how you feel, it helps a lot.

(Original post by EyestriX)
Btw 1200 calories a day?

I meant not less than 1200 calories, some days it may even be around the 2000. I always make sure I'm on a positive balance. I'm not really counting calories though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kathy89
Seasonal asthma is a bit different. Basically it is more sort of an allergic reaction. It feels like it's on the back of the throat but it is more in the bronchus. The coughing is dry most of the time, in the morning it is less dry. My lungs are fine, it could spread there if left untreated. I don't know how to explain it because it is neither a rush nor an inflammation. I also find it harder to inhale than exhale, sometimes I like stuck while inhaling.

You might have sort of asthma too... if the inhaler helps, it might be asthma... visit a doctor about it. Try to explain as detailed as possible how you feel, it helps a lot.

(Original post by EyestriX)
Btw 1200 calories a day?

I meant not less than 1200 calories, some days it may even be around the 2000. I always make sure I'm on a positive balance. I'm not really counting calories though.

Sorry I forgot to say I'm already diagnosed with asthma. I was talking about post nasal drip when I said about self-diagnosising :tongue:
And i don't know whether the mucus in my lungs is related to my asthma. Sorry I tend not to realise that sometimes I don't make sense :laugh:

Asthma can spread to your lungs? I don't think it's a contagious thing but if you meant asthma can get worse than yeah it can. For me it is the other way - exhaling takes longer because it feels like there is some resistance there so I have to take shorter exhalation orelse I become out of breath. Sometimes it can be both it just depends.

Which colour inhaler have you been given? What tests did they do to confirm you had asthma if you don't mind answering?

Oooooh :facepalm: I clearly cannot read. Sorry about that!
Reply 84
Original post by EyestriX
Sorry I forgot to say I'm already diagnosed with asthma. I was talking about post nasal drip when I said about self-diagnosising :tongue:
And i don't know whether the mucus in my lungs is related to my asthma. Sorry I tend not to realise that sometimes I don't make sense :laugh:

Asthma can spread to your lungs? I don't think it's a contagious thing but if you meant asthma can get worse than yeah it can. For me it is the other way - exhaling takes longer because it feels like there is some resistance there so I have to take shorter exhalation orelse I become out of breath. Sometimes it can be both it just depends.

Which colour inhaler have you been given? What tests did they do to confirm you had asthma if you don't mind answering?

Oooooh :facepalm: I clearly cannot read. Sorry about that!

I said it is hard to explain what it is because seasonal asthma is more like an allergic reaction than regular asthma, just with similar symptoms and treatment to asthma.... it is not a constant condition. Mucus can be caused by asthma too. Asthma is not contagious, but the reaction can reach the lungs....
I have the regular white and blue Ventoline, the device itself is blue.... I don't think there is a difference which color the device is....
The doctor listened to my lungs and gave me a blowing test when you need to inhale as much as you can and blow on a vane stuff....
First he tested for cold, although he said right away it is not cold by the sound of the coughing, but he tested for inflamation in the throat but it was clear, so the second guess was asthma.... like many others said.... it sounds like asthma caughing... I can't hear it on myself but I understand what they mean...
Original post by Kathy89
I said it is hard to explain what it is because seasonal asthma is more like an allergic reaction than regular asthma, just with similar symptoms and treatment to asthma.... it is not a constant condition. Mucus can be caused by asthma too. Asthma is not contagious, but the reaction can reach the lungs....
I have the regular white and blue Ventoline, the device itself is blue.... I don't think there is a difference which color the device is....
The doctor listened to my lungs and gave me a blowing test when you need to inhale as much as you can and blow on a vane stuff....
First he tested for cold, although he said right away it is not cold by the sound of the coughing, but he tested for inflamation in the throat but it was clear, so the second guess was asthma.... like many others said.... it sounds like asthma caughing... I can't hear it on myself but I understand what they mean...

Ah right I didn't know seasonal asthma existed before until you talked about it!
There is, in the UK at least. Blue inhaler = reliever inhaler and brown inhaler = preventer inhaler.
You can have different types of powder in it but ultimately they'll be in one of the 2 categories.

Sounds like a peak flow meter. Or spirometry if they used the machine to monitor it.
Reply 86
Some weekly updates
Positive
1. My asthma got a lot better, I still cough a bit, but it is easier to work out, still taking an inhaler with me and taking allergy meds daily, but I haven't use the inhaler at all this week. (thinking maybe I should, and it'd be completely gone by now if I had, but I don't want to get used to it).
2. My nutrition is much better this week, ate a lot of salads and actually managed to maintain a 1500+ daily calorie intake.
3. Despite the hot weather I managed to walk 3km and felt good.
4. Has been in the gym 3 times this week.
5. Managed to do 50 push ups.... I think it's good.... could do better in my best days.
6. My weight now is 43.4kg... :biggrin:

Negative
1. I'm still sort of emotionally unstable (personal life issues)
2. Tried running but breathing is a bit harder than usual so I wasn't doing my best.
3. Still not feeling safe enough to cycle.

Neutral
1. The sport frames are not so comfortable, but they are useful. The frame doesn't move and the vision field is great. It's a bit strange but I hope it will get better, if not I might just change to a lens without astigmatism correction.
2. I'm using a new natural deodorant my friend is making at home. It feels great but it seems I sweat a bit more... or maybe it's the weather.
3. Considering cutting my hair short for the summer. I look different with short hair. I used to love having extremely long hair, I had a long really dark hair when I was in highschool. A few times I had to cut my hair short and at first it looked strange, but I like it. Now my hair is lighter (gens does their thing... My hair gets a bit more wavy and lighter over the years, so it looks like my moms gens are taken over) and when I cut it short it will be much easier to take care of it. I wouldn't have to wash it and brush it so often.
Reply 87
Today ran a lot.
ran 2km, than walked 1km and ran 2km more. My leg feels a bit pain, but still ok, also it's a bit hard to breath. Had to stop running because I was short of breath... but in the end everything is good. Feeling great for running.
Reply 88
Updates

Positive
1. Done some physical activity at least every other day.
2. Despite the hot weather I walk each day (mostly for shopping) but still anything that is in the town I'm not using the car. Most of the time I wasn't using it around the town anyway, but last year started using it more... it is more comfortable when it is hot or rainy....
3. I enjoy yoga and gym so much.

Negative
1. After gaining some weight I lost some... That's ok, I know it is not stable but overall it is a good progress.
2. My personal life is a wreck, it effects the overal results of the process too, but I do a lot of physical activity, mostly to distract myself from the problems...
Neutral
1. Reduced the pressure at work, and built a more comfortable schedule for myself. It will mean that I'll have to work harder on organizing things, but in the end it should be easier to work and less stress and more time for anything else.
2. Still don't cook enough, but trying to eat healthier food when outside. I do cook, but it annoys to cook only for myself. I miss living in a huge company where we were cooking for everyone and it was so fun...
Reply 89
Updates:

I moved to a new apartment in a town near the sea, 10 minutes walk from the beach. I run every morning now. It is much harder running in the sand... I don't know if I should run in the sand, I feel the pressure on the knee, but it doesn't hurt.
I still go to the gym, although went only once last week because of the move.

I have an awesome new house-mate. Although we don't share almost any view on any subject she is accepting and really debating. We spent the first two days cooking to the other housemates. It is the first time I moved in with complete strangers, I had too, at least until October. I am still looking for my own place... but don't want to move my cat too frequently...
It's a big house, the upper floor is the girls' floor, there are two of us with a saparate bathroom, shower and a kitchen in our floor, the first floor is the guys floor, there are 4 of them, and there is a basement that is a shelter but is functioning as a storage place. There is a pool outside and a sort of garden. I love the new place, but worried about living with strangers.

I'll be updating with work out schedule and stuff later this week. I have a much better organized schedule now...
Very interesting back story. I sometimes wish I had the experience of military when I was younger.
Reply 91
Original post by SuperHuman98
Very interesting back story. I sometimes wish I had the experience of military when I was younger.

Thanks.
Reply 92
As I promissed, being back to what the blog is about.... Fitness....

Sunday.
Ran 1.5km in the sand, walked about 1km. (early morning).
At the evening after work done 20 push-ups *2 with 1 min. break, 30 sit-ups*3 with 1 min. break, done a lot of stratches because I felt sore.

Today done yoga with friends.

Planning to run with one of the guys here (at the new house) at the morning (in an hour) but I am very tired, had almost no sleep and can't sleep now. A cat in a new house is like a child. He wants me to be awake and walk with him around the new house because he is afraid to do that alone...

Hope running would wake me up.

As for eating, I am cooking a lot, made some vegan meals to take with me, and people at the house are liking them too... It is funny that the other girl and I we both like to cook for a company of friends, but she likes to cook meat and diary and I prefer vegan food. We have our own kitchen at our floor and it is always busy.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 93
Tuesday
Morning - running 1.5km, walking 1km
Ate some banana ice cream cake leftovers from yesterday and drank fruit tea.
Lunch - Pitta bread, Humus with mushrooms, and a large vegie salad.
Early evening (around 6pm) - Worked a bit on my shoulders. 2kg weights 20-15-10-5 with 1 min. break. (I know it is nothing but wanted to do something light yet beneficial). 20 push-ups x3 with 1 min. break. And a lot of yoga stretches.
Cooked some grilled/baked vegies and made some rice. The floormate made grilled/baked chicken, the guys made pasta, so we shared the meal and I have enough to take with me to work tomorrow.
Almost night... (~10pm) - ~2km walk with one of the guys.

I ordered elastic band stickers to put under a light knee brace, will try them, I doubt they will help holding the knee but I am looking for a lighter solution than the knee brace I currently have... the light one is not holding the knee enough... it is good for gym, but I feel it is not enough for running. I'm afraid of falling or hurting my knee. I tripped today, almost loosing balance and it was so scary, luckily I had a good knee brace and not the light one. I mean, I've done a great progress so far and I'm scared even of minor knee injuries now...
Original post by Kathy89

I ordered elastic band stickers to put under a light knee brace, will try them, I doubt they will help holding the knee but I am looking for a lighter solution than the knee brace I currently have... the light one is not holding the knee enough... it is good for gym, but I feel it is not enough for running. I'm afraid of falling or hurting my knee. I tripped today, almost loosing balance and it was so scary, luckily I had a good knee brace and not the light one. I mean, I've done a great progress so far and I'm scared even of minor knee injuries now...

For me I have been dealing with patellar tendonitis for god knows how long now.. atleast 1 year :frown:.

Been making progress but think I have gone 1 step back now. Its weird that I got it in both knees, but 1 knee has gotten way way better than the other. Its really unpredictable. Sometimes I think it may never go away but then I remember the progress I have made and it motivates me to just be smarter with how I train. Before I used to feel crazy pain when sitting still for a period of time like in lectures or worse airplane journeys, now thankfully I don't feel pain when sitting for long periods. I think I can run abit on treadmills but tried grass and surprisingly that hurt lol

What knee injury do you have?
Reply 95
For me I have been dealing with patellar tendonitis for god knows how long now.. atleast 1 year :frown:.

Been making progress but think I have gone 1 step back now. Its weird that I got it in both knees, but 1 knee has gotten way way better than the other. Its really unpredictable. Sometimes I think it may never go away but then I remember the progress I have made and it motivates me to just be smarter with how I train. Before I used to feel crazy pain when sitting still for a period of time like in lectures or worse airplane journeys, now thankfully I don't feel pain when sitting for long periods. I think I can run abit on treadmills but tried grass and surprisingly that hurt lol

What knee injury do you have?

Were you a basketball player? patellar tendonitis is common mostly in basketball or volleyball.

I have a torn ACL.

Hope you get better soon. Slowly but surely.
What kind of recovery therapy are you doing?
Original post by Kathy89
Were you a basketball player? patellar tendonitis is common mostly in basketball or volleyball.

I have a torn ACL.

Hope you get better soon. Slowly but surely.
What kind of recovery therapy are you doing?

I think I got it more from playing football when I was younger as I started playing way more in year 10 and 11, at one point going to astroturf after school nearly everyday.

I honestly have no idea what caused it but at the moment I realised a few days ago that there are some issues with my squat technique which I am going to test out tomorrow. I am also not using my glutes/hamstrings enough and they aren't strong enough I think so working on that.

I am doing physiotherapy, sports injury clinic at my uni helped me a lot. Im stretching lower body everyday. Trying to get stronger glutes,hamstrings, and strengthening my quads. I have made good progress but I feel like I took 1 step back next week when I did heavy squats, but then taking months off squatting also isn't good for me because then my legs don't get stronger which is what I need to an extent lol. So I am hoping that improving my form will be good as I am using my knees too much and hips too little atm if not then I am gonna box squat. I also do jumping as part of my physio now and meant to do running but that still irritates my knee
Reply 97
I think I got it more from playing football when I was younger as I started playing way more in year 10 and 11, at one point going to astroturf after school nearly everyday.

I honestly have no idea what caused it but at the moment I realised a few days ago that there are some issues with my squat technique which I am going to test out tomorrow. I am also not using my glutes/hamstrings enough and they aren't strong enough I think so working on that.

I am doing physiotherapy, sports injury clinic at my uni helped me a lot. Im stretching lower body everyday. Trying to get stronger glutes,hamstrings, and strengthening my quads. I have made good progress but I feel like I took 1 step back next week when I did heavy squats, but then taking months off squatting also isn't good for me because then my legs don't get stronger which is what I need to an extent lol. So I am hoping that improving my form will be good as I am using my knees too much and hips too little atm if not then I am gonna box squat. I also do jumping as part of my physio now and meant to do running but that still irritates my knee

Good luck!
Hope you do better and recover faster when working with a professional (sports injury clinic sounds good and promising).
Reply 98
It was a long day today.

We painted and cleaned the apartment we are leaving. It was a lot of work standing on foot, I was wearing a light kneebrace. I knew I'd have to stand all day.
After all was done we decided to go hiking in the 'forest' nearby (15 minutes drive and a lot of walking in a mountain area, not the best thing with a light knee brace). It was a bit awkward because we had two cars and three people who could drive (out of 5) and I was the only one who didn't want to drink nor drive at night. I don't trust my eyes at night, especially in roads I'm not familiar with, and I don't drink much. I felt a bit bad about insisting not to drive, one of the guys had to stay sober. I did drink a few sips of beer, but it was not something to make it illigal to drive, especially if it wears off, the guys tried to convince me to drive, but I insisted not to... I mean the test shows I can drive at night but I'm still too scared.
We came home at 1am, tomorrow one of the guys will take me to the old apartment to pick up my car.
Now my leg hurts, I'm very tired but can't sleep after the amount of sugar I ate and the amount of emotions.... It is probably the last hanging out in the nature with my ex.... We'd still be good friends, maybe even keep being best friends, but it won't be the same.
Anyway, tomorrow I will rest the leg and focus a bit on abs and arms, unless I'd be very tired.
Reply 99
Finally everything is unpacked and I finally rested enough to start a routine.

Today was too hot to run, even at 6am it was already around 30^c, so I decided to stay home and work on my hands. Worked with weights (2kg bottles of water).

I ate buckwheat baked thingy... don't even know how to call it, it is something between a cookie and a bread, 1 banana, 3 dates and a glass of millet milk... (first time I tied it, it was surprisingly good).

Now, I am back from work, my floormate is making a macaroni with mushrooms and plant-based cream so I'll eat that too...XD

Quick Reply

Latest