The Student Room Group

Getting Kathy fit again. (injury recovery and fitness regaining blog)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Weekly update.

Running 1-3 km a day (almost everyday) on the beach did well for me. My leg feels ok with it. I do feel it, but it doesn't hurt. I wear the light elastic brace all day now, just in case. I'm going to the doctor soon, hopefully tomorrow there will be a free spot to squeeze in his appointments schedule.

I've weighted myself before breakfast (after running about 2.5km) - I weight 42.2kg, which is great. I hope I could reach the 45kg by the end of the year.

Stress/anxiety/low mood effects my sleep now... I'm so tired but can't sleep. I'm not depressed or anything serious, just over-emotional the last few days, but nevertheless, I'm doing good fitness-wise and food-wise and I feel good, just over-emotional.
I'm sure I'd do better when I calm down and manage to sleep well.
Reply 101
Weekly update

I weight myself yesterday, 41.8kg. It's less than expected, I ate pretty well all week and worked on my muscles, but still lost some weight... it is not a huge change, but I expected to gain some and not loose some... although I am proud of myself for the progress in training:
- Managed to do 2 pull ups and stay 3 seconds each time... managed to do another pull up twice with 1 minute rest between the takes. (I did 2 takes of 1 and than 1 take of 2, tried to do the third but couldn't pull myself high enough.
- 20 push ups 3 sets with 1 min. rest.
- 3 sets of 10 on a bench where you train your bicepts with weights (5kg ones, was doing it with 2kg before). I think it is a progress, but I feel like 5kg is too much and it is better for me to do more with less weight, although I didn't feel bad or sour or anything after the exercise. The girl trainer insisted on 5kg claiming that 2kg is absolut nothing for me right now.
- done a huge progress on my abs now, 3 sets of 30 cross-arm crunches.
- ran 30 minutes on the beach early morning. (I'm awake almost 21 hours now...).
- I worked out every other day in the gym and ran/walked everyday.

As for nutrition, I'm on a good 200-300kcal possitive balance (more than that, I don't count the callories of the coffee or tea or sweet water I drink at work). I do eat some junk from time to time, drank alcohol only yesterday.
It is hard for me to keep a 100% vegan diet where I'm the only vegan at home, and have to cook meals for myself, the guys eat a lot of meat and my floormate cooks well. I make a lot of salad with lentils or sprouts and we all eat it, I eat the most of it, but the I don't know if I eat balanced enough because I eat mostly ready meals because cooking everyday for myself is a lot of time. I found a good home-made cutlets but I don't know the exact proprotions of stuff there and sort of starting concerning about the amount of protein I consume... It never worried me, but when every trainer/doctor I speak to is talking about it, I start doubting my points of view on it. I do take B12 from time to time now, never had a problem with it since I started being a vegan, nor with iron or anything, even when I was a strict vegan.
Also, I do eat cookies, bread and pasta, I don't look what it contains.... not I bought it and we store them in containers and not in their original packing, so I can't read what it is actually made of, so I can't be sure they aren't with eggs... The other housemates don't care, and I don't want to sound like a crazy strict vegan (which I'm not anyways, so I pretend I don't really care)...I do care, but more like prefer not to eat eggs but not to the point of making a huge deal out of it.
I think the fact I don't make such a big deal of it and making nice salads for everyone is the reason the housemates like eating together with me... and it is good for me... I'm more social and more happy because of it, which is great overall and great for the health too....

Anyways, mostly positive things.
Reply 102
Weekly update

Running 2km on the sand every other day. Trying to run a bit faster now, still not counting time.
Working on my diet more, trying to eat more calories and more protein.
Weight as of today morning 43.3kg.
Went to swim the other day, was fun and fulfilling.
Yesterday was feeling really sick, headaches (migraine), but today I felt much better, probably will go to the gym in an hour.

Gym routine I was doing is pretty good now, I don't feel exhausted and it is actually good. Slow progress feels much better after time.
3 sets of 40 with 2kg weight for biceps is much better than the 5kg ones.
No real progress with abs this week, stayed the same (doing only 5 more in 2 out of 3 sets).

Scheduled a visit to a new orthopedic doctor nearby, will ask him about workout with the knee. I heard he is much more open-minded but still very careful.
Reply 103
Update:

The last two days I've been feeling absolutely crap. Having not stable period would seem ok if I was late, but this time it came 16 days after the last one. I was on a 28-36 days gap the last few years, with a couple of times being late (stress related), but never early. In addition it came now with bad cramps, just like the ones I had when I was a teen. The last two days I spent home doing almost nothing because I can barely move (I didn't even go to work).
I'm seeing a gyno next month.... (the earliest they could find).

Positive update.
Went to an acro-yoga night at Tuesday, a day before the weird period started.
Was fun, I even have a photo of it...:biggrin:
acro36.jpg
I'm the one on the top with the white shirt and the dark blue pants.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 104
Update:

After 3 days of feeling absolute crap having cramps and bleeding and barely moving or eating, it all stopped and I felt much better, like everything was suddenly normal again.
I worked out in the gym only on Friday, but I did cycle and even went to the beach with friends yesterday, although it was hot I did swim quiet a lot and it was so much fun... now my arms hurt and I'm still tired.

I weight 43.2kg so I staid the same despite the bad week.

In the gym I worked on my injured leg too, again with no additional weight but I did some knee exercises and felt fine. There is a nice guy trainer that I really like working with, he seems to understand a lot about sport's injuries and is helping much more than other trainers there, so I might ask about his schedule and work with him more... There is another girl trainer there that I feel very comfortable with, but she's a bit too pushy and wants me to work with more weight (especially for the arms), she said she is not a rehabilitation trainer so she won't suggest anything for my injured leg, but she wants me to work more on everything else. I like her approach too... I think I'd be the same if I were a trainer... however, I still think that less weight is better for me now...

I drove to a customer a few days ago and drove past paintball park... I want to go paintballing.... it is fun.... painful but fun....considering asking my brother and my ex to join...
Reply 105
Update:

I've been running everyday some days I'd be running 20-30 minutes, other days I'd be running for distance 5km.
I like the progress when my leg is not hurting.

I've been eating better, 100% vegan but still manage to eat enough protein that is not soy. I feel great and happy and fresh, eventhough it is so hot here lately. This week was very good.

I now wear the knee brace only for sports and wear the light one only. Thinking about trying to wear the elastic strips instead of the brace.
Reply 106
Did some Acro-Yoga without the knee brace today (forgot it).
It was great. I even did some more stretchy exercises and it was good, my knee doesn't hurt at all.

Here are some photos

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

There are no more real updates, same as last week, no progress at the gym. I went to the gym three times this week and one time went to the pool. Did exactly the same exercises and the same amount as last week.

I went on a date one evening so I ate some more sweets.

I weight 43.4kg, which is a positive thing.
Reply 107
I wasn't here for months.

There is a lot going on. I still do work on my health, but I did a huge change with my approach.

I stopped taging myself. I mean I still don't eat completely vegan, but instead of feeling bad about it and blaming myself for not following a certain plan I looked for an answer why I do it and came to a conclusion that it was just easier. I'm not idiological vegan and never was. Being a health fanatic is as unhealthy as eating a bit less healthy food.
When I stopped declaring myself a vegan and stopped feeling bad for eating something that is not vegan (most of the time something containing eggs or milk), I just accpted it as a choice I made for a certain reason, I noticed that I eat more vegan food now. Now I don't say that I'm vegan, I say I prefer to avoid dairy and meat (and eggs), so if it is easier for me to eat something not vegan I will do it and not try to force myself doing something very uncomfortable like trying to find a place to heat my pre-prepared vegan food.

Similar approach about running and other results. I noticed that I push too hard about keeping a good result in weight training, on the other hand I'm still stuck in a stage when I think I'm too weak for something. I started doing what is feeling right for me and just speak to the trainer, if I don't want to work with more weight I just say it in a confident way and everyone is fine with that. If I don't feel confident for any reason, I just don't go to the gym.

I broke my pinky so I had to stop running for a while, but came back and now back in shape for 5km runs. Now it is a bit harder to run if it rains, I run in the morning or at night. Sometimes I don't feel like wearing contacts for 1 hour is worth wasting a contact pair. I did buy dailies for that reason, but still feel it's a waste. Glasses are not an option during a rain (even a tiny rain) it is like not being able to see because the glasses are full of raindrops or not being able to see because I'm not wearing glasses and it is too dark. I like the temperature outside now though, it is not too hot and not too cold, I feel energetic enough and the results are good. I'm not even trying to check the time, because I know will start comparing my results to the ones I had before the injury.

I stopped wearing the brace for acro-yoga, it was not comfortable. I just don't do strange things with the leg. I know I should wear it all the time when doing sport activities, but I need to find some light yet supportive one. The one I have is light and supportive, but the fabric is irritating... It is not allergy or anything like that, it just feels not comfortable on the skin. I can wear it on the tights but then it moves and I have to keep putting it back in place and it is much less supportive that way so it is not really doing it's job when I wear it on top of the tights....
Were you vegan based on the belief that it was a healthier diet? What makes you believe that is the case?

There are valid reasons for being a vegan (mainly environment), but health isn't one of them. For what it's worth, I'm not a vegan or vegetarian.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 109
Original post by illusionz
Were you vegan based on the belief that it was a healthier diet? Because that's simply not true.

There are valid reasons for being a vegan (mainly environment), but health isn't one of them. For what it's worth, I'm not a vegan or vegetarian.

For me it was much healthier I have to admit. It was easier with other vegan or vegetarian around me, when I'm the only vegan in the household and busy most of the time outside and vegan food outside is much more expensive and much harder to get (yeah, even in Tel Aviv), it became more of a burden for me.
When I was strict vegan I was healthier, I have to admit, but being physically healthy but mentally tired is not worth it. Searching for a proper place to eat or having to cook a lot for myself drained so much energy it was not worth it.
Original post by Kathy89
For me it was much healthier I have to admit. It was easier with other vegan or vegetarian around me, when I'm the only vegan in the household and busy most of the time outside and vegan food outside is much more expensive and much harder to get (yeah, even in Tel Aviv), it became more of a burden for me.
When I was strict vegan I was healthier, I have to admit, but being physically healthy but mentally tired is not worth it. Searching for a proper place to eat or having to cook a lot for myself drained so much energy it was not worth it.

I agree that being vegan makes it easier to exclude a lot of unhealthy food, but you also exclude a lot of healthy food and it is difficult to get certain minerals from a vegan diet.

It's also very hard to get enough protein without also getting large qualities of carbohydrate.

A balanced diet is of course the best, and will generally also be the easiest for a number of reasons - socially, access to food, and availability of the full spectrum of nutrients.
Reply 111
I agree that being vegan makes it easier to exclude a lot of unhealthy food, but you also exclude a lot of healthy food and it is difficult to get certain minerals from a vegan diet.

It's also very hard to get enough protein without also getting large qualities of carbohydrate.

A balanced diet is of course the best, and will generally also be the easiest for a number of reasons - socially, access to food, and availability of the full spectrum of nutrients.

I never claimed that veganism is for everyone, for me it is more healthy. Not going to argue about that. What is not healthy is being a fanatic. So I'm not a fanatic, I can eat fish if I want to and not feeling bad for eating what I wanted and what is tasty.

I was vegan for quiet a long time, 4 years of pretty strict diet and it was good for me.
I'm interested, what about it makes you feel it is more healthy?
Reply 113
I'm interested, what about it makes you feel it is more healthy?

Overall feeling, blood test results, vision improvement, being less sick and faster recovery.

Quick Reply

Latest