The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fluffy
Which ever will take you. Rarely do you get the liberty of choice!

I have. I emailed them both to enquire and they both said they have placements but they are at the same time so I have to choose one.

xX
Reply 381
Erm, well what are they, what interests you, etc. Do the one that grabs your interest.
pick names out of a hat. It's tried and tested!
Yes, absolutely.
yes, but don't worry you've got loads of time! i only started looking for work exp last january (as in jan of my L6 year), and so far i've got:

medisix (not work exp but shows i've researched the career etc.)

summer volunteering (1 morning a wk) at a nursing home

6month volunteering placement in a hosptial scheme (3hrs volunteering a wk + sessions on life as a doctor, etc. every month)

1 week work exp with a haematologist

3 days' work exp in a GP & dispensary.

you can also do things not directly related to medicine, such as:

teaching dance/drama/etc. to children, or just volunteering as a classroom assistant in a school (particularly disabled children's schools)

peer mentoring/.'buddy' systems at your school

writing a magazine or something for elderly people in your area

etc. etc.
Reply 385
I really need help with this cause i'm unsure of what to do. I've been offered work experience at a hospital but its after i submit my personal statement. i'm not sure if i should mention it on my statement but if i did the detail would not be there. i doubt my interviews will be before ive done the work experience. any ideas as to what i should do??
Wangers
Sucessfully applied for A100 '08

about just under 2 (school term years) of hospice work, couple of hours an afternoon a week. QUOTE]

Brilliant way of fitting it in to a busy school schedule like most A-level applicants have.

I did a week in 2005, 2 weeks 2006 of shadowing during both. Failed to get into 2007 entry.

Spent a gap-year as a nursing assistant in a nursing home. Got 100% acceptances for 2008 entry.

This is not to say more work experience is better, though in many cases it is.
It is to say that I wrote my PS revolving around my work experience, which helped me mature, and this came through in my PS, allowing me to get the offers.
paper53
I really need help with this cause i'm unsure of what to do. I've been offered work experience at a hospital but its after i submit my personal statement. i'm not sure if i should mention it on my statement but if i did the detail would not be there. i doubt my interviews will be before ive done the work experience. any ideas as to what i should do??

Write about as much as you can. Say how much you're looking forward to it, what you plan to get out of it, what you expect to see, how this is going to help you in the future. Stuff like that. Wring it out for all it's worth.

Plan some more, do some during school time so that you can write about it. That's the best piece of advice I can give.
Reply 388
Yeah at a conference i went to, admissions said they like students who discuss things they 'will' be doing as it is a good discussion for the interview to see whether you gained the qualities you intended to initially.
Reply 389
I'm on my gap year. I have weekly hospital work experience but it does not involve shadowing. I just think my statement would be better with some shadowing. Ive shadowed a GP but it does not sound as good as shadowing a consultant. Thats my dilemma :s-smilie:. Im not sure if i should say ive done the work experience which i will have done by interview or if should say i will do it in the hope they'll interview me.
Reply 390
paper53
I'm on my gap year. I have weekly hospital work experience but it does not involve shadowing. I just think my statement would be better with some shadowing. Ive shadowed a GP but it does not sound as good as shadowing a consultant. Thats my dilemma :s-smilie:. Im not sure if i should say ive done the work experience which i will have done by interview or if should say i will do it in the hope they'll interview me.

Lying never works out well in the long term. Having shadowed a GP is good - don't play it down, as more than 50% of us will become GPs eventually!

Just say you're planning on doing x at y hospital on z date (or at least give an estimation) and you hope to learn whatever. I did that for mine. It's a lot safer than saying you've already done something and learnt something you didn't learn.
paper53
I'm on my gap year. I have weekly hospital work experience but it does not involve shadowing. I just think my statement would be better with some shadowing. Ive shadowed a GP but it does not sound as good as shadowing a consultant. Thats my dilemma :s-smilie:. .

No. Most people do consultants, so GPs are different, it shows imagination. Shadowing a GP, it could be argued, develops a greater understanding of rounded, community-based medicine. GPs deal with a much greater variety of people and so need better communication skills, which you appreciated during your work experience.

Make it about what you learned. No-one points scores you for where you went, or which operation you did or didn't see.
Reply 392
Beska
Alright, thanks. I'm not sure what kind of spacing to do. I have to work an entire day shift, which I assume is 5-7 hours, whenever I choose. I was thinking once a month, but now I'm considering that if I say this at interview they'll think I was doing it, as you suggested, just to tick a box without any real care. Would twice a month be fine? Ugh! :woo:

I've no idea really. Probably; doing a whole day every week is quite a lot alongside A-levels! Or find something you like that has more sociable hours - you've got plenty of time.

Well, I often help at home (I'm part of a foster caring family, 7+ years) with what you could call special needs children, and always younger than me. Would this be alright to discuss in your PS and interview? I'm sorry if I'm sorta using you like an admissions FAQ, but you seem to know your stuff. :smile:
Yes, of course you can include that! It's something a lot of people won't have experience of, and you must have learnt a lot of things from having kids from difficult places/with special needs around. It's not a substitute for other voluntary work but is absolutely worth including on your PS.
Reply 393
Helenia
I've no idea really. Probably; doing a whole day every week is quite a lot alongside A-levels! Or find something you like that has more sociable hours - you've got plenty of time.

Yes, of course you can include that! It's something a lot of people won't have experience of, and you must have learnt a lot of things from having kids from difficult places/with special needs around. It's not a substitute for other voluntary work but is absolutely worth including on your PS.

Thanks again for your help.

I think I'm going to see if I can do it once every two weeks, as that's reasonable. It can't hurt getting volunteer experience in a residential home, and then doing some more at an after school club, or whatever. :smile:

Edit: I find it interesting you say that Fostering is not a substitute. Could you elaborate?
Reply 394
Beska
Thanks again for your help.

I think I'm going to see if I can do it once every two weeks, as that's reasonable. It can't hurt getting volunteer experience in a residential home, and then doing some more at an after school club, or whatever. :smile:

Edit: I find it interesting you say that Fostering is not a substitute. Could you elaborate?

Well, basically, you've got great experience from your family fostering (I hope, at least!) but you didn't make any effort to do that yourself. It's just chance that your parents decided to be foster parents and you can reap the benefits. Now, while you certainly should do that, it's not a substitute for doing your own work and finding something else enjoyable and worthwhile off your own bat.

Kind of like when people say that they have a relative who's a doctor, so they've done work experience with them - all well and good, but not as impressive as someone who's had to go out there on their own to find someone to shadow.
Reply 395
Helenia
Well, basically, you've got great experience from your family fostering (I hope, at least!) but you didn't make any effort to do that yourself. It's just chance that your parents decided to be foster parents and you can reap the benefits. Now, while you certainly should do that, it's not a substitute for doing your own work and finding something else enjoyable and worthwhile off your own bat.

Kind of like when people say that they have a relative who's a doctor, so they've done work experience with them - all well and good, but not as impressive as someone who's had to go out there on their own to find someone to shadow.

Understood. I was afraid that was what you would say, now I'm worried that medical schools would think the same. :s-smilie:
Helenia

Will uni's actually think like that?
Reply 397
RoadWarrior
Will uni's actually think like that?

Well, not being an admissions tutor, I don't know for sure. But we were always told not to make a big deal about parents/relatives being medics (not that mine are) because it doesn't necessarily make you a better candidate. I just think it's always better to show you have organised something by yourself rather than just rely on Mum/Dad's contacts.
My work experiences so far:
- 5 months and still volunteering at a Nursing Home
- Shadowing an Orthopaedic Surgeon (shadowed on an off over a period of 3 months)
- 1 week at a Blood Lab
- 1 week at a Soil Lab
- 3 years volunteering at the Canadian Cancer Society (still continuing)
- Attended some medical camp that none of you would have heard of for 2 weeks (discovering more about medicine)
- 1 day at the Surgical Training Centre at our main hospital
- 2 months of Mini Med School (epigenetics)
- 1 year Peer Mentoring

And I am obviously having A LOT of trouble fitting this into my PS. I have a feeling when I write all of this down admissions will think I'm lying and reject me. :frown:
Reply 399
magichearts
My work experiences so far:
- 5 months and still volunteering at a Nursing Home
- Shadowing an Orthopaedic Surgeon (shadowed on an off over a period of 3 months)
- 1 week at a Blood Lab
- 1 week at a Soil Lab
- 3 years volunteering at the Canadian Cancer Society (still continuing)
- Attended some medical camp that none of you would have heard of for 2 weeks (discovering more about medicine)
- 1 day at the Surgical Training Centre at our main hospital
- 2 months of Mini Med School (epigenetics)
- 1 year Peer Mentoring

And I am obviously having A LOT of trouble fitting this into my PS. I have a feeling when I write all of this down admissions will think I'm lying and reject me. :frown:

How did you get work in the labs? :confused: Please advise!

Definitely include lab work if you're applying to Oxbridge, and include all your long-term stuff. Then just pick and choose the rest. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending