The Student Room Group

Alloy wheels and insurance question.

This is probably a silly question...but.
Does putting alloy wheels on your car count as a modification for insurance purposes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes
In a word yes. If they get stolen and you didnt tell your insurance company you wont get money for them!
Reply 3
Are they aftermarket ones, or manufacturer ones?

Surely if they are the latter, and they were available as an option on that car, then they are not modifications?
Reply 4
But they are modifications from OEM
Reply 5
I knew that aftermarket alloy wheels count as a modification, and require reporting to the insurance company (possibly to the detriment of your premium).

But... are you still insured if you don't? Of course the wheels aren't insured, but will the insurance company still pay out for other damage? For other parties involved? Personal liability? Usual stuff? Or will they turn round and say, "You've been taking the piss," and lock you up for driving uninsured?
Reply 6
they have a good reason not to give you a penny for not declaring them. they need things like this for their statistics. by declaring them they will have a better idea of the type of driver you are the likelyhood that you will crash (among other things), and so adjust your premium accordingly.

also, if the wheels are found to be the cause of the accident, either being too big or cheap tacky ones that dont fit correctly, you are in the ****.

moral of the story. just tell them.
Reply 7
Insurance companies will find anything out of the usual in a claim, they don't want to pay out!
Reply 8
gbduo
But they are modifications from OEM

But are the type of wheels you have as std declared to the insurance company, so say you replace some 15" OEM steels for 15" OEM alloys, would they know?
Reply 9
Well they know the model trim and so forth so would know what comes with it on a piece of paper.

But would the assessor who goes and checks your car when it has been crashed notice? Depends on how well he knows the car and how much of a jobs worth he is! But, if you didn't declare them, it is still a modification away from standard.

So, you might be alright, but is it worth the risk?
Reply 10
9 times out of 10, replacing with manufacturer wheels wont get recognised, but where it gets tricky is when people add optional extras. by all rights they should be declared, but obviously its just not practical.. you can request higher model wheels on 'lesser' cars should you wish, and second and third hand many wouldnt know the difference.. It tends to be an area where insurers are most ''lenient'' or even ignorant..
Reply 11
Jonathan
I knew that aftermarket alloy wheels count as a modification, and require reporting to the insurance company (possibly to the detriment of your premium).

But... are you still insured if you don't? Of course the wheels aren't insured, but will the insurance company still pay out for other damage? For other parties involved? Personal liability? Usual stuff? Or will they turn round and say, "You've been taking the piss," and lock you up for driving uninsured?

Yes, you are still insured. Contrary to popular belief on TSR.
The son of a friend of mine stuffed his Rover 25 into a streetlamp. He had alloys and a K+N airfilter on the car that were not declared on the insurance.
The inspector noted these when he viewed the wreck.
It cost my mates son £25 before they would look at the claim any further.
The insurance company did pay out the full amount on a standard Rover 25, though.

Its not really worth it though. Just declare all your modifications. There are certain things you can get away with not declaring though...
The modification list on my car is some three pages long. Although, if I wanted to, I could ignore mentioning the fact that it has gas flowed heads, larger valves and a lumpy camshaft.
The inspector isnt going to tare the engine apart and measure the duration on each lobe of the camshaft!!!
Reply 12
He was lucky.

My mate had a set of Wolfrace alloys on his car and a SS exhaust, stuffed it into a ditch and wrote it off. His insurer, Norwich Union just voided his policy. He was lucky that no one was involved.

Insurance companies do their best not to pay out on a claim, best off not to give them a reason to! This is coming from the man with a lot of experience dealing with insurance companies after writing off cars! lol!
Reply 13
Just because you have alloys fitted doesnt neccesarily mean your premium will go up.
I was considering buying a Jaguar MK10 some years back and rang up the insurance company for quotes. Having wire wheels fitted instead of steel wheels didnt change the premium but it did add £150 to the excess.

Why not phone the insurance co. and ask them what they would charge if you were to fit alloys?
It'll only cost you a phone call.
Reply 14
and similarly, non manufacturer alloys on my first car would have only cost an extra £7 a month. I declared them and didnt actually end up fitting them because I didnthave the car long enough; def worth a call
Reply 15
hi have a astra ls i want to put sxi wheels on do i have to insurance thanks
Original post by dave9087
hi have a astra ls i want to put sxi wheels on do i have to insurance thanks

Yes to have to insurance... ?!

If they're Vauxhall alloys I wouldn't bother, only mention it if they're non-OEM.
Original post by shaymarriott
Yes to have to insurance... ?!

If they're Vauxhall alloys I wouldn't bother, only mention it if they're non-OEM.

It will also depend if there is a change in size.
I have a polo which should have steel wheels but I bought the car with wolfrace wheels on but standard size, do I need to declare
Original post by Unknownman1234
I have a polo which should have steel wheels but I bought the car with wolfrace wheels on but standard size, do I need to declare

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending