The Student Room Group

Study Medicine in Europe

Scroll to see replies

The only place in Europe that does full dissections is Hungary. The costs are much higher, and the unis are much more competitive.
I am not sure what UniSR is.
There are some countries that do prosections I stead of dissections, but the benefit of prosection is very minimal in comparison with mannequins.
Original post by Omar964
That alone would make me cancel plans to study in Italy! I was thinking of UniSR
Thank you :smile::smile:
Original post by Ness2003
Try Pavia in Italy. It will answer all of your requirements.
Visit there, look around, and see if you like it. Italy has no dissect, but otherwise very decent medical studies. Nice people, good food, plenty of things to do; plus Italian language is easy to pick up for your everyday use.
You can also try Milan med school, but the cost of living in Milan is higher, and so is the level of crime, as it’s a big city - nothing like London, Liverpool or Manchester though!
Thanks for your reply - do they ask you science questions in the interview too? Or are they restricted to the quiz? Very nervous about the quiz - hoping it's not GAMSAT level hard! Is the quiz in a multiple choice format or written answers? Also, do students in Poznan have the opportunity to do dissection on cadavers?
Original post by messori
Yeah, I mean you also have low intensity years. I know fourth year is super relaxed. Most people use the time to travel about, do research etc. PUMS requires you to pass a CBS exam similar to the NBME Basic Comp. at the end of third year after a Kaplan review course, so it's quite intense up until then.

My brother was accepted to their Dentistry program a few weeks ago, he said the quiz was straightforward but there is no set pattern into what they ask you. The interviews were intense though, and they ask you some basic stuff mixed in with difficult questions. I really would recommend you go over the topics as much as you can, and do the online test questions they give you. During his interview only 1 person was accepted into the 6 year program out of 6-7 applicants.
Reply 203
Original post by Dr Daniela1
Debrecen is another city and is not about 3 hours from budapest but on the other hand Semmelweis is in budapest (i think fees around £17,000). I completed a medical degree in Romania, Bucharest university called Carol Davila. All these unies teach in english. The experience for me was great I loved every minute of it but I must say I was really nervous and hesitant at the start. The night life is second to none and the city budapest is very beautiful and full of culture and life.
Sorry can not comment on agencies on here. So you can pm if you need some futher guidance on this

hello. im supposed to begin my first year of bachelor studies at carol davila on the 16th but i still, till now have not received my visa. weve been waiting for over a month now and its getting discouraging. ive paid the school fee and done everything. i do not want to miss the first days at all. but just in case i do, is there anything of EXTREME importance done in the first few days?
on the school website, theres nothing given about the academic calendar or which books to buy or about accomodation. can u please help me in these areas? im sorry for asking too many questions but im just so nervous
Reply 204
Hi ! I am from Netherland and I want to know that how can I apply for medicine in Bulgaria so I have created this forum account to know the admission process for Sofia medical university as well as for Varna medical University.
Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Original post by Quinny2000
Thanks for the reply

:-) no, obviously, not, at least not directly - I chose to study in an accredited one. I did check private ones, as cost of studies wasn’t a concern for me, but I chose to go with an established institution of a higher rank that is compliant to EU and government standards. In addition to EU, The one I chose has bi-lateral agreements with US and Canada, which allows further opportunities. (PS. I had 3 offers. Also, I decided not to study in the UK - the level of education in UK is cr**p by comparison).

If you check carefully, the private institutions’ accreditation comes out of their giving a diploma from one of the accredited government place!

In the end, it is your choice where you want to spend your money and your time, and what it can give you at the end of the journey.

Depends where you will study and how well you will get through your exams.
If you take longer to prepare, you will have less free time after you’re finished.
Many universities have mandatory clinical practice, which takes 1 month.
Depending on the convenience of the flights and travel in general (and your having enough money to buy a ticket) you may be able to pop home for the weekend.
Home sickness is normal for people who haven’t left home before uni - it will get better in a second year, and you will be busy enough with studies. You can always keep in touch via Facetime, Skype, etc... just remember WHY you’re abroad - to study and to have a career. Medicine is time consuming. Try to occupy yourself with that, and you won’t have much time for anything else, TBH. that’s it, if you want to get good grades and become a good doctor.
If you want just to get through, you may need to consider something else...
realistically - first 3-4 years: 1-1.5 months home for summer; maybe 1 week for Christmas.
5/6 year you should be able to add Easter holiday to the mix, but once you start 6th year rotations, leaving for longer than a weekend will not be possible

Thanks for this explanation
Was it not possible to get into graduate medicine with your BSc ?
The only place in Europe that does full dissections is Hungary. The costs are much higher, and the unis are much more competitive.
I am not sure what UniSR is.
There are some countries that do prosections I stead of dissections, but the benefit of prosection is very minimal in comparison with mannequins.

Hey there! You seem to be very knowledgable about medicine in Europe. Currently I hold an offer from Semmelweis and a few Czech universities.
I had decided upon Charles First Faculty until yesterday, however, today I got accepted in Semmelweis (I was placed in waiting before). So I wanted to know the pros and cons of studying there, it would be very helpful. Thanks
Budget is not an issue here.
Original post by Sarthak Modh
Hey there! You seem to be very knowledgable about medicine in Europe. Currently I hold an offer from Semmelweis and a few Czech universities.
I had decided upon Charles First Faculty until yesterday, however, today I got accepted in Semmelweis (I was placed in waiting before). So I wanted to know the pros and cons of studying there, it would be very helpful. Thanks
Budget is not an issue here.

hey...we are on the same page. even i got accepted to semmelweis and lf1. did u decide upon which one u ll choose??
Hi, about Targu, did you have to do a personal statement for your application? And how did that go? I’m really lost with it- and how was the city? Like is it easy to adjust? And the university?
In a nutshell, uni reputation doesn’t matter too much. The study program is more or less similar across EU. Everything else will depend on you - subscribe to Osmosis and Dr Najib :-) In the end, no one will walk in and say, “doctor, before I tell you about my problem, can I see which uni you went to?”.... My advise would be to go study where (in this priority BUT check Avicenna directory and see that uni you chose is accepted by GMC):A) it’s the easiest (e.g. you do not have mandatory subjects that lots of people fail). Compare the curricula - they are available onlineB) where exams are fair. Please check that - if uni says they have several retake options, ask yourself WHY. Also check the statistics - how many students repeat a year and steer clear where the numbers are highC) where teachers speak decent english D) where the country is safe and have reasonable approach to current COVID madness. Don’t only rely on agencies. You can just apply yourself - it is very easy nowadays and all universities have an online portal. And SPEAK to people who study there about their current experience.
Reply 210
Does anyone have the revision material for Poznań? Don’t think I’ve got into my UK choices but I’ve been told Poznań and Charles’ entrance exams are coming up. Also, how do people rate PUMs graduate entry vs the 6 years? I’d be coming in with Biomed but worried I’d be at a disadvantage in terms of study material and less time to learn the language.
Original post by WonderWatson
Hey, I’m thinking about studying medicine in Europe as I can’t in the UK. I’m thinking of going to Charles University the First Faculty of Medicine in Prague as it has a very good reputation when it comes to medicine but I don’t know a lot of people who have gone to study there from the UK. My second option is Plovdiv Medical University in Bulgaria. I guess Bulgaria is cheaper in terms of accommodation etc but Charles University seems to have a better reputation and facilities which makes it harder to get a place. I can see more people go to Bulgaria from the UK and there are more agencies that work with Bulgarian universities. I can only think of one that helps you get into a few universities in Czech. Can someone give me any advise and help me decide? Thank you.

Charles University is free for everyone and its has a good reputation amongst all countries around :smile: I live near there and most of the people who have the opportunity to go there are very please, so 100% recommended and also Masarykova University in Brno.
Is studying in Debrecen better than studying in Poznan?
Original post by mark.o
Thanks for the insight into Poland and Hungary. Do you have any info about the unis in Czech, especially 1st or 2nd Faculty of Medicine?

I’m a current 4th year medical student at the first faculty at Charles university. Let me know if you have any questions I’d be happy to help:smile:
is anyone going to study at UMF Craiova 2021 please send me a pm
Has anyone studied in Rijeka in Croatia ???
I'm studying there you can pm me questions
Original post by Priyapinkrabbit
is anyone going to study at UMF Craiova 2021 please send me a pm
Can someone help me. I would like to study medicine Romania or Bulgaria or Liethuan or UK or Estonia but I don’t know where I can apply. I would be really grateful if you could help, because there are many agencies in Google that tell me pay 2000€ and we will help you💔😩 I want apply my self I don’t want agency.
Reply 218
Don't apply to Inter Hecs they are the worst in terms of providing correct advise and support and they also took my advance money of £500 with no conscience despite me withdrawing from the process after 1 week. I wanted to join Bulgarian University via InterHecs. They had not done any admin work!! Not professional!This was for 2023-2024 intake.
Reply 219
Original post by swanda
Don't apply to Inter Hecs they are the worst in terms of providing correct advise and support and they also took my advance money of £500 with no conscience despite me withdrawing from the process after 1 week. I wanted to join Bulgarian University via InterHecs. They had not done any admin work!! Not professional!This was for 2023-2024 intake.
all these agencies are the same they only care about how much money you give them same happened to me with medlinkstudents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending