The Student Room Group

MPhil Environmental Policy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beehee
Hello everyone! I got moved to PAO a few hours ago!

Thank you everyone for your positivity and words of encouragement and comfort. I really appreciate you all.

Special thanks to @vivirago for sending positive vibes my way when I made that embarrassing mistake a month ago. <3 Looks like we'll be meeting in October after all!

Congrats!! If you don't mind, may I ask when did you submit your application?
Reply 81
Original post by envirostudent21
What a huge relief, congratulations, I hope all goes well for you! :smile:

Thanks, @envirostudent21! Fingers crossed for you too!

Original post by Cinnnnabar
Congrats!! If you don't mind, may I ask when did you submit your application?

Thank you! I submitted my application sometime in mid-December, just a few days after the funding deadline. My application switched to "Under Review" in early Jan.
Hi all,
Unfortunately my application was unsuccessful, though it is certainly a high bar and I am encouraged that the admissions team took their time to consider me; congratulations to all who were accepted and good luck next year!
I have recently joined a sustainable strategy and policy advisory firm as a sustainability consultant (having formally been in management consulting), though my longterm goal is to establish an academic career within environmental policy. Please can I ask for all of those who applied (were successful or not), what is your background (academic and professional), what is your intention of studying the Masters and where else did you apply? Also, if anyone has any recommendations on whether there are any short courses or internships within academia that I can pursue to strengthen my skillset/profile it would be much appreciated! (looking to apply again next year and to a greater number of courses)
Many thanks in advance!
Hello, I'm still waiting as of 07/04/2021. My reference were sent late so is waiting till now normal? Also can you tell me when you got rejected?
Hi, I applied in November and was placed on "Under Review" in January; subsequently declined late March. Please can I ask you what your background is? Good luck!
Original post by mumbojumbo88
Hi all,
Unfortunately my application was unsuccessful, though it is certainly a high bar and I am encouraged that the admissions team took their time to consider me; congratulations to all who were accepted and good luck next year!
I have recently joined a sustainable strategy and policy advisory firm as a sustainability consultant (having formally been in management consulting), though my longterm goal is to establish an academic career within environmental policy. Please can I ask for all of those who applied (were successful or not), what is your background (academic and professional), what is your intention of studying the Masters and where else did you apply? Also, if anyone has any recommendations on whether there are any short courses or internships within academia that I can pursue to strengthen my skillset/profile it would be much appreciated! (looking to apply again next year and to a greater number of courses)
Many thanks in advance!

Hiya, sorry to hear about your rejection. To answer your questions: I'm still waiting on a decision from Cam, just finishing an undergrad in History, I've applied to LSE and Imperial too, and I'd actually like to do something in a policy-making/advisory or consultancy role. Are you working for a firm in the UK? If so, any tips on going for similar roles? :smile:
Original post by nosithsgiven
Hiya, sorry to hear about your rejection. To answer your questions: I'm still waiting on a decision from Cam, just finishing an undergrad in History, I've applied to LSE and Imperial too, and I'd actually like to do something in a policy-making/advisory or consultancy role. Are you working for a firm in the UK? If so, any tips on going for similar roles? :smile:

Hi, thanks for the information and good luck!
Yes, a UK firm. The usual entry into consultancy is via a graduate scheme (how I entered management consultancy); however, within sustainability, graduate schemes are still fairly limited since despite the necessity it is still a service in infancy. I would suggest getting a view of the particular service offering/sector that interests you and focus your search on that (i.e. strategy & policy for NGOs/governments, masterplanning, buildings/built environment, product development, energy/manufacturing etc.), I would then suggest applying to graduate schemes of larger firms but also apply speculatively to boutiques which spark your interest if there is no advertised position (this can be frustrating but boutiques tend to be flexible in bringing on individuals who they are particularly interested in).
Needless to say, as with all forms of consultancy you can work in industry for a number of years and then, having built a skill base, move into consultancy; I would strongly recommend focussing on what skillset/experience you want to gain, if you would gain it through working in industry then do consider it.
Hi, thanks for the information and good luck!
Yes, a UK firm. The usual entry into consultancy is via a graduate scheme (how I entered management consultancy); however, within sustainability, graduate schemes are still fairly limited since despite the necessity it is still a service in infancy. I would suggest getting a view of the particular service offering/sector that interests you and focus your search on that (i.e. strategy & policy for NGOs/governments, masterplanning, buildings/built environment, product development, energy/manufacturing etc.), I would then suggest applying to graduate schemes of larger firms but also apply speculatively to boutiques which spark your interest if there is no advertised position (this can be frustrating but boutiques tend to be flexible in bringing on individuals who they are particularly interested in).
Needless to say, as with all forms of consultancy you can work in industry for a number of years and then, having built a skill base, move into consultancy; I would strongly recommend focussing on what skillset/experience you want to gain, if you would gain it through working in industry then do consider it.

Thank you so much for such a detailed response. If I see any short courses or internships in academia, I’ll get back to you on this thread. I did actually go on the University of Cambridge summer programme in 2019 (it’s open to anyone) and took some modules related to the environment, not sure if this is the type of thing you’re after? Only caveat was that it was super expensive and took me a while to save up for. I don’t think it’s running this year because of covid but I’m fairly sure they’re starting it back up next year.
Original post by nosithsgiven
Thank you so much for such a detailed response. If I see any short courses or internships in academia, I’ll get back to you on this thread. I did actually go on the University of Cambridge summer programme in 2019 (it’s open to anyone) and took some modules related to the environment, not sure if this is the type of thing you’re after? Only caveat was that it was super expensive and took me a while to save up for. I don’t think it’s running this year because of covid but I’m fairly sure they’re starting it back up next year.

Thank you that would be appreciated; the summer programme's are of interest, though as you say COVID has understandably interfered. Again, good luck with your master's applications and career pursuit!
Can't believe we're still waiting on these decisions!
Hi everyone, hope all of you are staying well. Yes, I've heard Land Economy takes ages to get back - fingers crossed for all of you if you're still waiting - I hope the decisions come out soon and in your favour! In the meantime, for those who are going to be at Cambridge to attend the MPhil in Environmental Policy come October 2021, please let me know if you'd like me to create some kind of private Facebook group. Let me know and I can create one :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by matchaball
Hi everyone, hope all of you are staying well. Yes, I've heard Land Economy takes ages to get back - fingers crossed for all of you if you're still waiting - I hope the decisions come out soon and in your favour! In the meantime, for those who are going to be at Cambridge to attend the MPhil in Environmental Policy come October 2021, please let me know if you'd like me to create some kind of private Facebook group. Let me know and I can create one :smile:

Hi! Out of curiosity Do you know which college you have been accepted to?
Reply 92
Hi all,
Many thanks in advance!

Hey @mumbojumbo88! I am really sorry to hear that. However, with your experience, I am certain you will find the perfect window to begin your career in environmental policy!

Regarding my academic background, I've already answered it in one of the previous messages:
Original post by beehee
Thanks! Sure.

I am currently in my final year of undergraduate study at an Asian university. I will be graduating this May with a BSc in Environmental Sciences, and am expecting to graduate with the UK's equivalent of first-class honors (fingers crossed!). I have been involved with research related to human-environment interactions, environmental health, and water and waste management throughout my undergrad years, where I have worked as a research intern (with two different educational institutions, one month with each of them) and have gotten the chance to co-author a few papers with some of my professors. I have also served as a TA for two courses. Last summer, I completed the Credentials of Readiness, offered by the Harvard Business School online, where I had passed with high honors. Plus a few other extracurricular activities but I reckon my research experience and academic performance may have helped strengthen my application.

Really really excited to begin classes next fall! Have been in a daze since yesterday. Wish everyone all the best!

I am still an undergraduate student and haven't had a full time position anywhere. However, I have been deeply engaged in research and have held a few TA positions and served as project assistants under some faculties in my university.

Since I have extensively worked in research projects related to water management I have applied to courses that focus on water management and policy in Oxford and Imperial College. I see a Masters as a pre-requisite to my goal of pursuing a PhD in somewhere along the lines of geography, public policy with a focus on environment, human-environment interactions, or resource management. I am not really focused on one specific field, and am hoping to apply whichever program seems interesting. For now, my long term goal includes entering the academia as a full-time researcher.

Regarding short courses, I have had a pleasant experience with CORe from HBS, so I'd highly recommend that one. It was fully funded by my institution though, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the chance to do this course. As a student from purely a science background, I had been hoping to increase my understanding of business management and economics to understand some of the key concepts of environmental economics, so this came as a perfect opportunity to me. I am really hoping to do a few of their other courses such as Global Business, and Sustainable Business Strategy sometime in the future.

Your post regarding tips to enter into consultancy was really helpful and insightful! Thanks a lot for that! I wish all the best for your future applications and endeavors!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 93

Hi @matchaball! That sounds like a great idea! Would really appreciate a Facebook group!
Original post by beehee
Hey @mumbojumbo88! I am really sorry to hear that. However, with your experience, I am certain you will find the perfect window to begin your career in environmental policy!

Regarding my academic background, I've already answered it in one of the previous messages:

I am still an undergraduate student and haven't had a full time position anywhere. However, I have been deeply engaged in research and have held a few TA positions and served as project assistants under some faculties in my university.

Since I have extensively worked in research projects related to water management I have applied to courses that focus on water management and policy in Oxford and Imperial College. I see a Masters as a pre-requisite to my goal of pursuing a PhD in somewhere along the lines of geography, public policy with a focus on environment, human-environment interactions, or resource management. I am not really focused on one specific field, and am hoping to apply whichever program seems interesting. For now, my long term goal includes entering the academia as a full-time researcher.

Regarding short courses, I have had a pleasant experience with CORe from HBS, so I'd highly recommend that one. It was fully funded by my institution though, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the chance to do this course. As a student from purely a science background, I had been hoping to increase my understanding of business management and economics to understand some of the key concepts of environmental economics, so this came as a perfect opportunity to me. I am really hoping to do a few of their other courses such as Global Business, and Sustainable Business Strategy sometime in the future.

Your post regarding tips to enter into consultancy was really helpful and insightful! Thanks a lot for that! I wish all the best for your future applications and endeavors!

Hi,
Thank you so much for your response, really very useful! Regarding online courses, I have been looking into this and have identified that I would like to complete the HBS Sustainable Business Strategy and/or the CISL (Cambridge) Business Sustainability Management courses - these aren't very science heavy (i.e. providing an understanding of the science behind environmental change and other externalities), have you come across any course like this?
Many thanks!
Reply 95
Hi,
Thank you so much for your response, really very useful! Regarding online courses, I have been looking into this and have identified that I would like to complete the HBS Sustainable Business Strategy and/or the CISL (Cambridge) Business Sustainability Management courses - these aren't very science heavy (i.e. providing an understanding of the science behind environmental change and other externalities), have you come across any course like this?
Many thanks!

Hey @mumbojumbo88, I am glad you found it helpful! No, I am also actually looking for similar courses and most seem to be offered via platforms like Coursera and EdX. I'll let you know if I come across anything useful.

would love it! just send me an dm. :smile:
i just received an email from the land economy department saying i had been placed in waiting and my application will be reviewed at a later date
Reply 98
Original post by carmen62
i just received an email from the land economy department saying i had been placed in waiting and my application will be reviewed at a later date

If you don’t mind me asking when did you apply? Did they say if they would get back to you by a certain time? I received a similar email in January and was told I would hear before May. The wait is crazy!
Original post by Lab1000
If you don’t mind me asking when did you apply? Did they say if they would get back to you by a certain time? I received a similar email in January and was told I would hear before May. The wait is crazy!

Applied 4th Jan, I'm not too concerned about it to be honest, I have other plans already lined up! Received the email at 10am today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending