The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

POLIS MPhil at Cambridge or Public Policy at UCL/LSE?

I'll be applying for a master's in a couple of years after graduating from york in politics with international relations. The current trajectory I'm on in terms of grades/internships/UG publications etc. is likely to make me a pretty competitive applicant by the time I apply, and I think that these universities are well within my grasp. In the future, I hope to work in research in think tanks/ngos. I've always wanted to study at Cambridge so there's a personal fulfilment factor there, but I worry that the POLIS MPhil wouldn't be as employable/well suited to my career goals as a public policy degree. Some of the requirements for mid-senior level positions at think tanks ask for a public policy degree and I'm concerned that POLIS is too generalist and might not give me as much of a leg up in this world as public policy might. Also, I'm aware that Cambridge offers a public policy course, but you need around 5 years of work experience to even be considered, and it's far more competitive than the POLIS MPhil.

I'd appreciate any advice, thank you very much.
Original post by Sir_Sharky
I'll be applying for a master's in a couple of years after graduating from york in politics with international relations. The current trajectory I'm on in terms of grades/internships/UG publications etc. is likely to make me a pretty competitive applicant by the time I apply, and I think that these universities are well within my grasp. In the future, I hope to work in research in think tanks/ngos. I've always wanted to study at Cambridge so there's a personal fulfilment factor there, but I worry that the POLIS MPhil wouldn't be as employable/well suited to my career goals as a public policy degree. Some of the requirements for mid-senior level positions at think tanks ask for a public policy degree and I'm concerned that POLIS is too generalist and might not give me as much of a leg up in this world as public policy might. Also, I'm aware that Cambridge offers a public policy course, but you need around 5 years of work experience to even be considered, and it's far more competitive than the POLIS MPhil.

I'd appreciate any advice, thank you very much.

You need to hold offers from both before you need to think about which you would prefer. Apply to 3-5 programmes and choose when you have offers in hand.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending