The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Economics at Nottingham

Hello,
Im currently in my last year at 6th form, doing Maths, Physics, Economics , and have a B in AS History. Im working hard at getting AAA in those above subjects, since the typical offer at my first choice - nottingham - seems AAA.
Since Economics is so popular at Nottingham, did / do any of you have to have an interview for it? I'm adding the finishing touches to my Personal statement and UCAS form now, but it looks like i won't be able to send it off untill after half term, in other words, another 10-15 days from now (since it will take the teachers longer than a day to come up with a referance and than check over my UCAS form). I left sorting the PS and UCAS a little late - atleast by my schools standards - and im not really sure when Nottingham receive the bulk of applications, so im slightly concerned that the extra dozen days ive added before my UCAS is sent will make things more difficult for me.
thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Also - if anyone is willing, could i PM you my latest attempt at a PS, and see what you think?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Just give up Mcq !!
Reply 3
marinemike
Also - if anyone is willing, could i PM you my latest attempt at a PS, and see what you think?

Hey,

I'm a second year psychology student at Notts. I sent off my application towards the middle of October, which I think is when Nottingham will receive the bulk of its offers. I know plenty of people who didn't send off their applications until middle of December and still got offers, so don't worry too much about it. If you'd like to PM me you PS then I'd be happy to look over it for you, but I don't know much about economics so it'd just be a general overview.
Reply 4
my reference that i bothered to ask for today, which i read out of curiosity only (my UCAS was sent long ago), stated that ill get 'A/B' in physics. my teacher has little faith in me clearly, since i already got 244 (low aye, but an A still) and in every other bit of work i produce A standard stuff.
My referee and teachers are also aware that i need unis to think ill get AAA (which i maintain i will).
As for maths, my reference says B, an A with some hard work (i wont dispute this, if i was the teacher i would probably say B too, from the evidence)
I got 285/300 in my third A2 - economics, the subject that i want to do at degree level (at nottingham prefereably, altho i applied to durham, bristol, warwick and a couple of others) - all popular w/ high demands), and my class work is always top notch, despite this - my reference says what i lack in flair for the subject, i make up for in hard work and determination. worst of all, my reference was written by one of my 2 economics teachers, both of whom i worked well under... I believe fully that this has been mixed up, i live by the motto , minimum work, maximum results.

Anyway, I dont mean to sound like an arrogant git or anything (if it comes across that way its cause im a bit pissed off right now with this) - but how do you lot fancy my chances with that sort of reference, given that nottingham seems to take AAA's, and the same, i assume applies to warwick, durham, bristol, (i also applied to birmingham and york, but im not sure if their demands are quite as high).

thanks for any thoughts
:mad:
Reply 5
come to think of it - what the fu*ck was my teacher writing 'michael does not have a flair for the subject' - even if he thought that, and based on the fact ive got the best marks of the class i dont know how he can - (95% average on the 3 units i took).
It almost appears as if my reference was written not to show me in the best possible light - but the worst!. Why write that? i mean even if he thinks it, WHY put it in, why not just leave that out? what the fuc*k?
Reply 6
rejected.
Reply 7
marinemike
rejected.

unlucky, was that one 8th Dec. cos that's when i got confirmation of my offer (AAA or AABB) for economics
Reply 8
I got a conditional offer from Notts for Economics with Chinese studies~~~but they ask me to send some official paper to show my financial status to them...

Latest

Trending

Trending