The Student Room Group

Romeo and juliet youth

https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/romeojuliet/quotes/theme/youth/
If I had a question on youth could I write about youth by just using the quotes in that link and writing a paragraph for each . The quotes are also only on juliet. Can someone tell me please
Reply 1
all those quotes are fine, but for a full essay, I would recommend bringing in a few more of your own as well. what exactly is the question?
Reply 2
Original post by a.frh
all those quotes are fine, but for a full essay, I would recommend bringing in a few more of your own as well. what exactly is the question?

How are ideas of youth presented in Romeo and Juliet.
Reply 3
Original post by 014786
How are ideas of youth presented in Romeo and Juliet.

Ok-- You could also use some scenes between friar Lawrence and Romeo, and write about their differences. Make sure to include the scene where lord Capulet is angry at Juliet for defying him, that's pretty important.
Reply 4
Original post by a.frh
Ok-- You could also use some scenes between friar Lawrence and Romeo, and write about their differences. Make sure to include the scene where lord Capulet is angry at Juliet for defying him, that's pretty important.

How do those show youth tho, could you explain.
Reply 5
Original post by 014786
How do those show youth tho, could you explain.

In the first scene that we see Friar Lawrence in, he is trying to caution Romeo away from falling in love with Juliet so quickly. This shows the different attitudes towards love; the older generation (F. Lawrence) are more cynical than the younger ones (Romeo). "Young men's love then lies/Not truly in their hearts but in their eyes." says the Friar, clearly disapproving. However, by the end of the scene, FL agrees to marry Romeo and Juliet, so he's sort of been overtaken by Romeo's emotion and optimistic youth, which shows how powerful it is.
Lord Capulet is angry at Juliet because the Elizabethan expectation was that the youth obeyed their elders, blah blah blah, and she's not doing that, again showing the power of the youth in the play and the lack of understanding between generations.
(but if she'd listened to him, would she have died? worth thinking about...)
Please ask if something doesn't make sense :-)
Reply 6
Original post by a.frh
In the first scene that we see Friar Lawrence in, he is trying to caution Romeo away from falling in love with Juliet so quickly. This shows the different attitudes towards love; the older generation (F. Lawrence) are more cynical than the younger ones (Romeo). "Young men's love then lies/Not truly in their hearts but in their eyes." says the Friar, clearly disapproving. However, by the end of the scene, FL agrees to marry Romeo and Juliet, so he's sort of been overtaken by Romeo's emotion and optimistic youth, which shows how powerful it is.
Lord Capulet is angry at Juliet because the Elizabethan expectation was that the youth obeyed their elders, blah blah blah, and she's not doing that, again showing the power of the youth in the play and the lack of understanding between generations.
(but if she'd listened to him, would she have died? worth thinking about...)
Please ask if something doesn't make sense :-)

thanks
Original post by 014786
https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/romeojuliet/quotes/theme/youth/
If I had a question on youth could I write about youth by just using the quotes in that link and writing a paragraph for each . The quotes are also only on juliet. Can someone tell me please
thank you mi amigo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending