The Student Room Group

Ucl -manchester-birmingham chemical engineering/ finance

Hello Chaps

I got three offers from Ucl, Manchester and Birmingham for a Chemical Engineering Degree.

I would like to ask you about which course should I take in order to hopefully have a successfull carreer.

I am still not sure about my ambition of becoming an Engineer and I am quite attracted to the Finance Sector.

Can I hope to have a high position in the Finance industry with a Chemical Engineering degree ? And which university amongst those three would be the more appropriate ?
ucl
Reply 2
Coul you possibly detail why please ?
Original post by Table dust
ucl
Reply 3
Original post by Moncef
Hello Chaps

I got three offers from Ucl, Manchester and Birmingham for a Chemical Engineering Degree.

I would like to ask you about which course should I take in order to hopefully have a successfull carreer.

I am still not sure about my ambition of becoming an Engineer and I am quite attracted to the Finance Sector.

Can I hope to have a high position in the Finance industry with a Chemical Engineering degree ? And which university amongst those three would be the more appropriate ?

The reality is if you want to work in IB, which is largely based in London, then UCL is your best bet. But don't do a ChemEng course unless you actually enjoy the subject...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Doones
The reality is if you want to work in IB, which is largely based in London, then UCL is your best bet. But don't do a ChemEng course unless you actually enjoy the subject...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which course should I go for ? I applied for Chem Eng. Can I still change my course before it starts ?
Reply 5
Original post by Moncef
Which course should I go for ? I applied for Chem Eng. Can I still change my course before it starts ?

Hold on, what course do you actually want to do? Why did you pick ChemEng if you aren't that interested in it?
Reply 6
Original post by Moncef
Hello Chaps

I'm actually in similar situation I have an offer from Manchester and Birmingham however I'm thinking of working in either law as a Patent attorney or finance or as an Engineer I'm quite open on all three careers. I myself am still debating which Uni to take , I was given one piece of advise by a Engineer I met at an event, he told me to look at the modules you will learn at each uni and determine which give you wider range of skills and knowledge from business studies and project management to pharmaceuticals/ biochem to Oil and gas etc stuff that you could add and demonstrate on your CV which would look attractive to potential employers.
Pick UCL so you can switch course incase you dislike chem eng, I regret not doing this - as I would have liked to changed course to comp sci.

I work in investment banking and studied chem eng, I hated the degree and thought the degree was outdated (compared to EEE/comp sci/mechatronics/statistics) and the lecturers (>50% foreign) out of touch/knowledgeable about even the chemicals/ oil & gas industries (I have worked in the chemicals sector)

study something useful which you enjoy at a prestigious university.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Table dust
Pick UCL so you can switch course incase you dislike chem eng, I regret not doing this - as I would have liked to changed course to comp sci.

I work in investment banking and studied chem eng, I hated the degree and thought the degree was outdated (compared to EEE/comp sci/mechatronics/statistics) and the lecturers (>50% foreign) out of touch/knowledgeable about even the chemicals/ oil & gas industries (I have worked in the chemicals sector)

study something useful which you enjoy at a prestigious university.

Did you work immediately in investment banking after your chem eng degree ?

Also is it possible to do a master in Finance at a prestigeous Uni ( London buisness school, Columbia, MIT) with an Bachelor or Meng in chemical engineering at UCL ? Shouldnt I try to switch my course for something else ? ( Stats economics and Finance at UCL maybe ?)

I contacted the Maths admission tutor and told me that switching course would be difficult since the maths departement is usuallu crowded.

Should I try with University of Manchester ?

And Finally what would be the best option to eventually enroll in a prestigeous master degree in finance, Maths at Manchester or Chem Eng at Ucl ?

Thank you very much for your attention
Reply 9
Original post by Moncef

Also is it possible to do a master in Finance at a prestigeous Uni ( London buisness school, Columbia, MIT) with an Bachelor or Meng in chemical engineering at UCL ? Shouldnt I try to switch my course for something else ? ( Stats economics and Finance at UCL maybe ?)

Yes, with a BEng. You won't get postgraduate loan support at UK universities if you have an MEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest