The Student Room Group

The Hard Grade 9 Questions Thread 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ThunderBeard
A is 3?

Correct :smile: Did you try every digit until it worked or did you use algebra?
nice question Notters :smug:
Original post by Notnek
Correct :smile: Did you try every digit until it worked or did you use algebra?

Algebra. It looks difficult but is quite simple once you get down to it.
Can you plz put the solution up?
A is 3?

How did you get that?
Original post by Chemist123
How did you get that?

So:
0.4aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa +
0.5a4a4a4a4a4a4a4a
=

So 0.4a + 0.5a = 0.9(2a) = 0.96
Therefore 2a = 6
So a = 3

Also 4+a =7 so a is definitely 3!
Reply 66
So:
0.4aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa +
0.5a4a4a4a4a4a4a4a
=

So 0.4a + 0.5a = 0.9(2a) = 0.96
Therefore 2a = 6
So a = 3

Also 4+a =7 so a is definitely 3!

It's actually a very simple question as you've just shown - there's no need for algebra, you just have to look at the digits.

@the bear I disagree. It's too easy :smile:
Any problems solving questions
Original post by Notnek
It's actually a very simple question as you've just shown - there's no need for algebra, you just have to look at the digits.

@the bear I disagree. It's too easy :smile:

:facepalm2:

i did it the long algebra way.... but without a calculator :h:
Reply 70
Original post by the bear
:facepalm2:

i did it the long algebra way.... but without a calculator :h:

That was the method I had in mind. I'll change it later so that the simple method isn't possible :smile:
Reasonable questions.
Q8 could do with a bit of tidying up so that AX and AY are obviously in the same direction as AC.

I find Q16 the most interesting.

Q17 looks tough, but is quite straightforward once you've sorted Area = half ab sinC & rearranged ... could be made a little more challenging if it was made to involve cos, rather than sin
Hey how would I do this
for A use pyhagoras
B and C find the scale factor by dividing a by the fraction at the bottom of the second triangle, then multiply 10.5 by the sf (scale factor) to find c and the fractional surd at the left of triangle A by the sf.
Original post by IsMo987
Hey how would I do this
mark scheme ?
Original post by begbie68
Reasonable questions.
Q8 could do with a bit of tidying up so that AX and AY are obviously in the same direction as AC.

I find Q16 the most interesting.

Q17 looks tough, but is quite straightforward once you've sorted Area = half ab sinC & rearranged ... could be made a little more challenging if it was made to involve cos, rather than sin

Original post by salimyasin10
for A use pyhagoras
B and C find the scale factor by dividing a by the fraction at the bottom of the second triangle, then multiply 10.5 by the sf (scale factor) to find c and the fractional surd at the left of triangle A by the sf.

Thank you but I don’t get how how I would square the surf to get a could you explain me that part thanks
use a calculator?
Btw u can just multiply 21 by 21= 441 then time it by surd 10 squared which is 10) so 441 x 10=4410
Original post by IsMo987
Thank you but I don’t get how how I would square the surf to get a could you explain me that part thanks
Original post by salimyasin10
use a calculator?
Btw u can just multiply 21 by 21= 441 then time it by surd 10 squared which is 10) so 441 x 10=4410

Hi thank you so would I keep the denominator
no, i forgot about that lol, u just square it which is 100 so the final answer for squaring the surd is 44.1, so the next step is 10.5 squared - 44.1 = 1323/30 then square root to get 21 surd (15 )/10

Original post by IsMo987
Hi thank you so would I keep the denominator
Help please can someone out line the method I would need and the equation for the radius and angle

Quick Reply

Latest