The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology

:smile: Hi ppl, i m in A2 Sociology and 1 of my units this yr is 'Crime n Deviance'
Ok, i knw tht this is a synoptic unit n requires u to link other units e.g. family, education, with it. BUT...

hav no clue how to revise the damn unit, do i go through other units? or wot?
exam is on june 12..

Does any1 hav a clue or sumthing? then bring it on here

:confused:

confused...
Reply 1
our teacher gave us a lil booklet on this hope this helps:

Synoptic assessment means that you will be asked to show a wider knowledge and understanding of sociology in your answers. You will have to show that you can make links between crime and deviance and other areas of sociology, for example the family and education. You will also need to refer to sociological research methods and have a very good knowledge and understanding of sociological theory

theres three sections:

1) understanding connections btw crime and deviance and other substantive topics you have studied such as mass media, family ,education etc (this part is quite simple basically using ur common sense really wouldn't recommend revising)
for example : identify and briefly explain two ways in which deviance may be related to one or more of the following areas:families and households:health:mass media
answer: families n households-lone parents family boys are more likely to commit crime because of lack of father figure etc
education-increase in more administrative work which some men see as a sissy job n less of manual labour leads to alternative means of gaining money therefore involve themselves in crime(jus look thru ur notes and pick links as long as u can back it up thats gd enough)

2)understanding of the connections btw crime and devaince and sociological theory
this has to do with :
Functionalism
Marxism
Subcultural theory
Strain theory
Feminist
Labelling theory etc

3)understanding of the connections btw crime and deviance and sociological methods
(this has got to do with methodology part)
You need to really the question in this section as this one gets a bit tricky for example :Assess the usefulness of quantitative and qualitative sources of data in studying suicide
basically u know wat quantitative and qualitative data is : numerical and words
then you has to evaluate certain sociologist explanation in studying suicide such as durkheim who looks at quantitative data with suicides rates and douglas and taylor as they look at is as more as an interprevistist/ phenomenological theoretical view.

My advice will be to download all the past papers and go thru them one by one to really understand it

Hope this helps
Try past questions, and think about the number of marks allocated so you can structure your answer accordingly.
E.g. a 4 marker will ask for 2 points, explained.

Always look whether the question is talking about methods, topics, or theory - this will show you what to base your answer around.
Reply 3
thank u very much guys! tht info is very helpful :smile:

will get on with the revision now ....
Reply 4
I went a little bit through the other topics to look at a few studies I could link to crime and deviance pretty easily. But I wouldn't stress over it.
Reply 5
Can ne1 help me how to answer 12 mark questions on A2 sociology religion paper? plz...
Reply 6
majr
Can ne1 help me how to answer 12 mark questions on A2 sociology religion paper? plz...

Make a new thread on it, then everyone will be able to help you
Reply 7
has anyone got any revision notes on edcuation and reserach methods? need help exam next week :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending