The Student Room Group

On the verge of a panic attack, please help me :(

Okay I have my first exam friday, then the remainder over the next month. I've done no work all year, and I'm still learning new things for Friday's exam. I feel sick, and I can't eat. And now I'm really finding it difficult to breathe, I can't do this. I'm just about ready to give up on it all, there's just no way.

What the ******* do I do? I need to know all this stuff, but the only way I'll learn it all is if I give up sleeping. And I'm starting to get so tired that I can't read anything. My head hurts :frown:

I can't do this fkdsjghxrdshgrgz :frown: please help :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what subjects you do, and what are you **** on?
Constructive help nighters123.

What subjects are you doing, and what subject is your first exam?
As you can most likely tell, letting it get on top of you will make things worse.
Are you year 12 or 13?
Reply 3
Why didn't you do work all year then?!?!
Reply 4

Oh, and you'll find that you won't learn anything if you study for too long without sleep. Nothing will go in :smile:, tried it...

Don't panic, cus that'll make it worse. Just concentrate on the stuff you don't know :smile:
rmhumphries
Constructive help nighters123.

What subjects are you doing, and what subject is your first exam?
As you can most likely tell, letting it get on top of you will make things worse.
Are you year 12 or 13?

AS + A2 government and politics
A2 History
A2 Law

The AS (G+P) is on friday

I can't breathe. I don't know any of it. and there's just too much to learn
modini

Oh, and you'll find that you won't learn anything if you study for too long without sleep. Nothing will go in :smile:, tried it...

Don't panic, cus that'll make it worse. Just concentrate on the stuff you don't know :smile:

I have my reasons, I don't want to go into them particularly. But it's no excuse really, I should have worked anyway.
Wah. Same situation, history tommrrow morning, whoop.

Im just downing red bull, and being relaxed, a gap year wont be so bad.

(Having broke down yesterday, its all out of my system now)
Reply 8
Right this second, you need to calm down because panicking isn't going to help.

You still have Wednesday and Thursday which is plenty of time to learn for an AS level if you concentrate and are committed.

Best thing now is go to bed and get a good nights sleep - being tired stops you revising, learning and doing well in exams.

Tomorrow, get out the syllabuses for the exam(s) on Friday. You can get them online from the exam board if you don't have them. Tick off the points that you can definitely do, and mark those that you can kind of do. This should take 15 minutes tops.

Then, working from the syllabus, take the points you can kind of do in the order on the syllabus and spend half an hour or so on each, making notes that are useful to you. Then do the same for those that you really can not do or haven't learned, spending an hour on each.

Take a 5 minute break after each half hour, get a drink (water is best apparently) then after two hours have a snack break/meal break. If you make sure that you don't waste time you have plenty (say at least 8 hours a day possibly up to 10/12) to learn the stuff. Just make sure you get plenty of sleep (8-10 hours) and eat and drink healthily. Getting dehydrated is really bad for concentration and learning.

Hope this helps!

ps set an alarm clock for the morning!
Reply 9
Look - panicking just wastes time.
Read broad synopses on all of your modules and subjects from Wikipedia or somewhere to familiarise yourself with the subject matter. It will rekindle information that you will have forgotten/neglected.
Take a look at past papers to see what kind of questions are asked and how to answer them.
There are only two outcomes: you succeed and get into uni or fail. Make your choice.
Diachrom
Look - panicking just wastes time.
Read broad synopses on all of your modules and subjects from Wikipedia or somewhere to familiarise yourself with the subject matter. It will rekindle information that you will have forgotten/neglected.
Take a look at past papers to see what kind of questions are asked and how to answer them.
There are only two outcomes: you succeed and get into uni or fail. Make your choice.

Yeah I think I'm going to attempt some past papers now, then compare them to the answer guides. I'm sick of trying to make myself read, I just feel really disengaged, my eyes are starting to blur and the words are merging together.

Thank you for the advice.. :smile:
kamie

You still have Wednesday and Thursday which is plenty of time to learn for an AS level if you concentrate and are committed.

Best thing now is go to bed and get a good nights sleep - being tired stops you revising, learning and doing well in exams.

Tomorrow, get out the syllabuses for the exam(s) on Friday. You can get them online from the exam board if you don't have them. Tick off the points that you can definitely do, and mark those that you can kind of do. This should take 15 minutes tops.

Then, working from the syllabus, take the points you can kind of do in the order on the syllabus and spend half an hour or so on each, making notes that are useful to you. Then do the same for those that you really can not do or haven't learned, spending an hour on each.

Take a 5 minute break after each half hour, get a drink (water is best apparently) then after two hours have a snack break/meal break. If you make sure that you don't waste time you have plenty (say at least 8 hours a day possibly up to 10/12) to learn the stuff. Just make sure you get plenty of sleep (8-10 hours) and eat and drink healthily. Getting dehydrated is really bad for concentration and learning.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! That's really sound advice, I think I'm going to do some past papers for a little while then get to bed by 12 latest. I've only been able to manage a couple of hours of revision a day then I kinda lose interest, but the next 2 days I'm going to have to work solid. I just wish the pressure wasn't so intense!!!

Thanks again :smile:
kashmir.noir
Wah. Same situation, history tommrrow morning, whoop.

Im just downing red bull, and being relaxed, a gap year wont be so bad.

(Having broke down yesterday, its all out of my system now)

What history topics do you take?

I'm half planning for retakes. Or clearing. Or a nice supermarket job.

Ugh.
kamie

Hope this helps!

nicely putt !!!!:smile:
Reply 14
Look at it this way - you've got nothing to lose due to your lack of work though the year and its a challenge to do well, so go for it! Put in a mammoth effort and you'll be surprised how much you learn!
firstly your not going to have a panic attack, if you feel worried or stressed just hold your breath and count to ten..when you breathe our imagine your on a nice warm beach..should calm you down.

secondly, you still have plenty of time to sort this out..read through what kamie says and if you ever get worked up just calm yourself down and relax

also take breaks, a clean mind works best
oh, i went through the same thing last year for AS. Basically, you can't sit down and read a book and expect to concentrate, i found that out the hard way. So what i did was not try and learn stuff off by heart, but i just read through some notes, after a good night's sleep, it helps in concentrating, a lot. Then i just went through past papers, and i looked at the mark schemes, since i didnt have time to actually do them, and they were subjects were learning was essential, not much calculation or logic...and basically the day before the exam and the morning of the exam itself i just kept looking through the past papers and the markschemes, after re-reading the notes, and just ignoring the book's existence. I do remember i felt like i became one million times better after looking at the pat papers, things just started to make sense and i actually knew wit im supposed to do..
hope this helps, and good luck!
Reply 17
thisisyesterday
What history topics do you take?

I'm half planning for retakes. Or clearing. Or a nice supermarket job.

Ugh.

id say to hell with the sleep, stick some music on, sit down, focus.

forget the water, ull not get back 2 the desk, just churn it out and bit by bit ull get thru it.

Im in the same situation as urself now just not as panicky, talk 2 me on thurs then ill av prob changed by then:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

u taking KCL if you get the grades?
i'm not sure if i agree about the making notes, this usually take years, so i never did it. but maybe you can find notes online, if you dont already have notes or cant find them, then by all means write your own, but let that be your last resort. try and learn only syllabus-related stuff, im sure the book has a lot of garbage about extra stuff that you dont need, so tha should decrease the amount you have to study by a lot. once again, good luck.
kevster
id say to hell with the sleep, stick some music on, sit down, focus.

forget the water, ull not get back 2 the desk, just churn it out and bit by bit ull get thru it.

Im in the same situation as urself now just not as panicky, talk 2 me on thurs then ill av prob changed by then:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

u taking KCL if you get the grades?

Yeah but they want AAA, and I can't see that happening. To be frank, if I'm like this about an AS exam, how am I going to do my A2s? I'm in pretty much the same situation for all of those as well, and the reality is really going to set in after this is out of the way on Friday.

Desk? I'm in bed, on the laptop. Maybe that's part of my problem, but it's just so warm and comfortable. I did put some music on though, I'm typing up some random bits from the textbook. Futile probably, but it feels productive at least.

What you study?

Latest