The Student Room Group

People who have failed placements

For people who have failed placement whether it's in health or any other course. What happened after?

I'm interested because I have a feeling im going to fail my practice placement. On the basis I've been told several times that I will. Great :smile:. I've had enough. But it would be nice to hear how things turned out for people who failed placement. Just to give me hope.

I know university give you another chance to overcome areas that you need to improve in e.g another month or 2.

I want to know if anyone has actually rejected the offer to go back to placement and why? Did you manage to work in the field you wanted to or did you decide to move into bigger and better things?

If you did go back to placement why? Was it a good experience. Did they send you back to the same place? Did the break in between help you pass if you did pass. Or did you not pass. Why do you think you didn't?
Reply 1
Hey is this a nursing placement you might fail
Reply 2
Original post by ankairo
Hey is this a nursing placement you might fail

No I'm studying to be a dietitan (allied health proffesional). We have similar placements to nursing and other health courses.
Reply 3
Original post by cyber1995
For people who have failed placement whether it's in health or any other course. What happened after?

I'm interested because I have a feeling im going to fail my practice placement. On the basis I've been told several times that I will. Great :smile:. I've had enough. But it would be nice to hear how things turned out for people who failed placement. Just to give me hope.

I know university give you another chance to overcome areas that you need to improve in e.g another month or 2.

I want to know if anyone has actually rejected the offer to go back to placement and why? Did you manage to work in the field you wanted to or did you decide to move into bigger and better things?

If you did go back to placement why? Was it a good experience. Did they send you back to the same place? Did the break in between help you pass if you did pass. Or did you not pass. Why do you think you didn't?

Going back to placement = opportunity to re-take and pass. Not going back = automatic failure as no re-attempt to pass. Hence why, on the one placement I failed, I went back to placement and tried again. They didn't send me back to the same place (because they listened when I begged them never to send me back to that placement) and sent me somewhere different. I passed. I qualified. I wouldn't have got past the end of that academic year if I'd not.

No I'm studying to be a dietitan (allied health proffesional). We have similar placements to nursing and other health courses.

I'm a nurse not a dietician, however one of my aunts is a dietician. She's come across a lot of students in the last 30 years, the vast majority of who she's either been able to pass straight off or has helped them go from near failing to passing. The rare one who has failed, or haven't taken up the opportunity to re-do a placement, or she and her team haven't been able to help turn things from fail to pass.... have failed the course.

Speak to your mentor and try to find out why they say you're going to fail, and also talk to the university for support. You need to use all support mechanisms and every opportunity possible to redeem yourself and pass so that you can qualify as a dietician.
If you are at risk of failing your placement, your placement area merely telling you this is not enough from them. They should be providing you with some sort of action plan that sets out explicitly in writing where they feel you are failing:

What your current defecits are.

What action they expect from you to address these defecits.

What additional support they are going to put in place to assist you to pass this element of your course.

Most courses should have some sort of formal process for this, if your uni doesn't or if your placement area are failing to engage with this process you should be contacting your academic advisor (or what ever they call your contact in the teaching staff) as a matter of urgency. You should also be ready to seek support from your students union.

On my nursing degree a single fail in practice was an immediate fail of the whole course with no option to resit. (Extenuating circumstances might be considered if raised during placement.) Do not treat this warning you may fail your placement lightly, it may immediately end your degree, but even if it doesn't, do not underestimate the expense and inconvienience a fail in practice will entail. I had to intercallate during my degree for other reasons and it caused me considerable financial hardship from which I am only just recovering.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Nefarious
If you are at risk of failing your placement, your placement area merely telling you this is not enough from them. They should be providing you with some sort of action plan that sets out explicitly in writing where they feel you are failing:

What your current defecits are.

What action they expect from you to address these defecits.

What additional support they are going to put in place to assist you to pass this element of your course.

Most courses should have some sort of formal process for this, if your uni doesn't or if your placement area are failing to engage with this process you should be contacting your academic advisor (or what ever they call your contact in the teaching staff) as a matter of urgency. You should also be ready to seek support from your students union.

On my nursing degree a single fail in practice was an immediate fail of the whole course with no option to resit. (Extenuating circumstances might be considered if raised during placement.T) Do not treat this warning you may fail your placement lightly, it may immediately end your degree, but even if it doesn't, do not underestimate the expense and inconvienience a fail in practice will entail. I had to intercallate during my degree for other reasons and it caused me considerable financial hardship from which I am only just recovering.

The thing is I feel like I'm done and I do not want to be a dietitian. These last 2 years have worn me down. That I'm put off it completely. So although I have tried to meet every deficiency that they say I have and taken on board everything they have said. I'm never enough for them. So why am I trying at something that clearly is not for me?

If it ends my degree, I don't have any emotion to feel anything else. I've already beaten myself up through these 2 years for every dumb mistake I keep making to make my practice not perfect. This would be just the icing on the cake and yeah it might the end of my career. But I don't have energy to feel that.

Maybe if I have a break this might help. But even I can't convince myself of this argument.

I'm glad you managed to go back and pass. I don't think I have it in me.

This is why I want to know what happens after failing placement. How do people move on? or how difficult has it been? or any positives?

But thankyou for your response. Given me something to think about.
Reply 6
How did you manage?
Reply 7
😂 I quit!!!!!!!! They converted my course to a health and social care one, because I failed placement. They wanted me to do another 13 week ****ing placement 😂. I was like tf do you think I am to be signing up for 13 weeks of abuse, so I said deuces ✌️ i went through ****ing hell. Psychotic humans running the whole thing. Glad I’m far from those maniacal idiots. Anyway hope everyone is enjoying life, I sure am. 😊
Reply 8
What uni/health board did you do dietetics. Out of interest? Coz I'm at the point where you were.
Reply 9
Original post by El Lee
What uni/health board did you do dietetics. Out of interest? Coz I'm at the point where you were.

Hello, sorry for the late response. University = Teesside university. Health board = The Health and Care Professionals Council.

How did you manage?
Reply 10
Hello, sorry for the late response. University = Teesside university. Health board = The Health and Care Professionals Council.

How did you manage?

The HCPC are a professional regulator, not a health board. Health boards are organisations like NHS trusts
Reply 11
Original post by moonkatt
The HCPC are a professional regulator, not a health board. Health boards are organisations like NHS trusts

I was in Middlesbrough and Newcastle, so I had two placements within 2 different trusts if that’s what you are asking? Sorry it was a long time ago. Hopefully you find the information, or someone here helps.

one placement was with Northumberland Tyne and Wear trust.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending