The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ukdragon37
Maths (even pure maths) have many applications, Physics is just one genre out of many.

It wouldn't if there was no universe :p:
Reply 361
Meteorshower
It wouldn't if there was no universe :p:

Agreed :biggrin: "Mon Eh Physics" lol
Maths is sufficient and necessary for Physics.

Physics is sufficient and necessary for the Universe.

Therefore Maths is sufficient and necessary for the Universe.

Q.E.D.

:wink:
We could survive with no understanding of maths but not without no understanding of physics (like walking off cliffs is bad)
Meteorshower
We could survive with no understanding of maths but not without no understanding of physics (like walking off cliffs is bad)

You can survive with neither. An animal would know not to walk off the side of a cliff but that doesn't mean it has an understanding of physics.
(Oh and look how off topic we are :redface: )
ukdragon37
You can survive with neither. An animal would know not to walk off the side of a cliff but that doesn't mean it has an understanding of physics.

It understands that there is a mysterious force that will kill it if it chooses to walk off a cliff, and forces are part of physics :biggrin:
Or it can just know that beyond a cliff = death = bad without knowing what a "force" is.
It can't realise why it will die however, without understanding that something will kill it. That some being the mysterious force XD
What are you all talking about?
TimmyVermicelli
What are you all talking about?

The absolute dominance of physics over maths
It will know that something will kill it, but that doesn't mean it has an understanding of forces or physics. It could think it's 'cause of Xenu the cliff-god for all it cares.
Meteorshower
The absolute dominance of physics over maths

Or vice-versa.
Reply 372
In all honesty. Maths is the Primary science, which then branches to Physics and Chemistry.

But I still prefer physics :P

Which makes me wonder... Nothing would exist without chemistry :biggrin:
ukdragon37
It will know that something will kill it, but that doesn't mean it has an understanding of forces or physics. It could think it's 'cause of Xenu the cliff-god for all it cares.

It has a very very basic understanding in the form that it knows one thing about this force (which yes could be a god to it, but we know it's gravity) it wont know it's gravity, but it will know that it kills it.

This is getting pretty pedantic XD You've unleased the beast in me
Jord91
In all honesty. Maths is the Primary science, which then branches to Physics and Chemistry.

But I still prefer physics :P

Where's biology in that :p:
Reply 375
has anyone here ever used electrically heated gloves before ?

in that question, did u have to add the 1.5v's together, so u got 3v ?

(i had to change th subject back to why my tears r still falling)
Reply 376
Meteorshower

I think biology branches off from chemistry lol, Im not sure i remember i seen it on wikipedia :p:
dave^2
has anyone here ever used electrically heated gloves before ?

in that question, did u have to add the 1.5v's together, so u got 3v ?

(i had to change th subject back to why my tears r still falling)

Never used them and yeah you add them together
Meteorshower

Biology's just an off-shoot of chemistry

Oh and how does physics explain gravity? Why, by a series of mathematical derivations of course! :p:
Jord91
I think biology branches off from chemistry lol, Im not sure i remember i seen it on wikipedia :p:

biology aint science, it's postage stamp collecting!

Latest

Trending

Trending