The Student Room Group
Reply 1
what exam board are you? AQA?
Reply 2
Yeah AQA
Reply 3
urgh... i just wrote a whole reply to you, was about to send it, then my computer decided it hated me and then locked up! evil much? Let's try it again, in a slightly grumpier tone...

I did my unit 4 paper in January and it was World Sociology, not Religion, so i am not sure what content you are supposed to have. But examiners like analysis - the AO2 marks. But don't forget description and knowledge as well. If you use a theory, explain what that theory is (e.g. functionalism is a macro, structural, consensus theory...) using buzz words - the examiner will underline these as he/she marks, the more underlining, the better for you. You need to criticise more, and compare theories/methods/etc... with others. Use your own opinions on theories, but NEVER use the word 'I' - bad, bad word. Make it flow, it's just part of the essay.

The 8 mark question is basically the same as the 8 marker in the AS paper with the ID: and EX:. The 12 marker is like a mini essay and the 40 marker is a normal essay (like the two 20 markers from the AS paper put together). Use up-to-date examples, remember a few key theories and the names and dates of the people who came up with them. to get an A on this paper you only need 42/60, which is quite do-able.

For the synoptic paper, i don't really know. I'm guessing it is the same thing. My (former)class hasn't even finished the topic yet, so we're supposedly going in for extra classes, despite school being officially finished. What makes me feel better about it, personally, is due to the fact that i got an A overall at AS and and A in Unit 4 and in my coursework, in terms of UMS marks, i only need an E in this paper to get an A overall. All questions in this paper are synoptic, whether it be methods, theories or modules, but you should still mix it up, e.g. in the theories question, say how feminists argue that traditional marxism ignores gender differences, e.g. Fuller vs Sewell - afro-caribbean girls more likely to get on in education and not turn to crime than the afro-caribbean boys who are. Stuff like that...
Reply 4
Wow thanks for that Aithne. I'm definately going to use more buzz words when describing the perspectives. What grade did you get in SCY4?

Marxists and Feminists are also macro theories right? Interactionalist/Weberian are micro?

By the way, did you remember all of the dates of the sociologists?

I only need to fail this paper to get a B overall but I'll need a high B in the last exam to get an A. That's assuming I can't get my 67/90 from Religion up a little higher.

Do you know of any good revision websites?
Clefeen
Wow thanks for that Aithne. I'm definately going to use more buzz words when describing the perspectives. What grade did you get in SCY4?

Marxists and Feminists are also macro theories right? Interactionalist/Weberian are micro?

By the way, did you remember all of the dates of the sociologists?

I only need to fail this paper to get a B overall but I'll need a high B in the last exam to get an A. That's assuming I can't get my 67/90 from Religion up a little higher.

Do you know of any good revision websites?

I don't think it's necessary to remember all the dates of each theory - I was not told that I had to.

And the best website to find resourses from was actually here! I couldn't find any decent websites... Went on Google search, and it located me to this forum.
Reply 6
DarkShadows
I don't think it's necessary to remember all the dates of each theory - I was not told that I had to.

And the best website to find resourses from was actually here! I couldn't find any decent websites... Went on Google search, and it located me to this forum.

Thanking you.
Reply 7
I got a high A in SGY4. Remembering dates isn't that important, but if you can remember the order of the theorists e.g. Durkheim before Merton, then the structure will probably be better.

i haven't really been on any revision sites, what i am trying, is that i have typed up all my notes so far, not the ones from the text book though. I then read them repeatedly, and basically do spidergrams and stuff on the key points. Obviously trying to remember everything is pretty pointless as you won't need it and don't have the time, but as long as you understand your notes and have the key points, you should be fine.

If you go to google and just type in crime and deviance you will probably come up with loads of info. e.g.

http://www.hewett.norfolk.sch.uk/curric/soc/crime/crim.htm they also have one for relgion at http://www.hewett.norfolk.sch.uk/CURRIC/soc/religion/rindex.htm
Reply 8
Aithne13
I got a high A in SGY4. Remembering dates isn't that important, but if you can remember the order of the theorists e.g. Durkheim before Merton, then the structure will probably be better.

i haven't really been on any revision sites, what i am trying, is that i have typed up all my notes so far, not the ones from the text book though. I then read them repeatedly, and basically do spidergrams and stuff on the key points. Obviously trying to remember everything is pretty pointless as you won't need it and don't have the time, but as long as you understand your notes and have the key points, you should be fine.

If you go to google and just type in crime and deviance you will probably come up with loads of info. e.g.

http://www.hewett.norfolk.sch.uk/curric/soc/crime/crim.htm they also have one for relgion at http://www.hewett.norfolk.sch.uk/CURRIC/soc/religion/rindex.htm

Thanks for the links. And congrats on the A!

What perspectives do you think is a reasonable amount to focus on in an essay? I know Functionalist, Marxist and Femisinist. Interactionist too? Post Modernist?

Do I need to worry about the methodology for SCY4 or is that more for SCY6?
Reply 9
depends on the question.

If it mentions a particular theory in the essay question, you should focus on that. Functionalism, subcultural, marxism, and labelling(interactionism) are the main theories, you will need to include them. But feminism and postmodernism would probably help get you better marks. My teacher siad that a summary of what postmodernism says in the conclusion is a good way to round the essay off.

Other theories that could be used are New Left Realism, New Right Realism and Environmental theories

I don't really remember much about the methods in SCY4 paper, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Reply 10
Aithne13
depends on the question.

If it mentions a particular theory in the essay question, you should focus on that. Functionalism, subcultural, marxism, and labelling(interactionism) are the main theories, you will need to include them. But feminism and postmodernism would probably help get you better marks. My teacher siad that a summary of what postmodernism says in the conclusion is a good way to round the essay off.

Other theories that could be used are New Left Realism, New Right Realism and Environmental theories

I don't really remember much about the methods in SCY4 paper, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Thanks for that. I'll start looking for stuff for my SCY4 module. My revision guide doesn't cover many of the other strands.
Reply 11
We get told just to evaluate as much as you can.

Gets lots of marks for that.
And don't forget the synoptic stufff.
Reply 12
Jhawkins
We get told just to evaluate as much as you can.

Gets lots of marks for that.
And don't forget the synoptic stufff.

Does evaluating include comparing and criticising the perspectives and studies?
Reply 13
Yes. Criticisms are evaluations I believe.
Reply 14
Jhawkins
Yes. Criticisms are evaluations I believe.

Hoorah for that confirmation. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 15
does anyone know what questions came up for the Jan 2008 paper? for SCY6

Latest

Trending

Trending