The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

@AUJ200, I didn’t get to ask which country you came from? You said freshman, so I thought American, but with your username beginning with au, I wondered if it was maybe Australia?
(edited 4 years ago)
The first thing I thought of when I saw the title Oxford Parents Association was @Oxford Mum :laugh:
That's lovely of you, Tensor Tympani. I spent absolutely years lurking on the Oxford threads without daring to join in because I wasn't a student. There were many things I wish I knew at the time (as a parent), so that's why I set up this thread. xx
Original post by TensorTympani
The first thing I thought of when I saw the title Oxford Parents Association was @Oxford Mum :laugh:
True the parents have just as much to share as their children because they would have overseen the entire process.
Original post by Oxford Mum
That's lovely of you, Tensor Tympani. I spent absolutely years lurking on the Oxford threads without daring to join in because I wasn't a student. There were many things I wish I knew at the time (as a parent), so that's why I set up this thread. xx
We don't get a medal for it, though. But as long as our children are happy and fulfilled, that's what counts. My house is falling down, I shop at bon marche, but we have one of the best medical :wink:libraries in Britain...
True the parents have just as much to share as their children because they would have overseen the entire process.

When it comes to asking for advice I think this is definitely true.

And if someone is coming across like they are making the choices rather than the student... well its also a place where users will be free to point that out!
Nice to see this thread up and running again. I’m working this weekend but have a Monday off. Supporting the revision by buying copious amounts of chocolate to leave outside the bedroom door! 😂
@AUJ200
@10271661

Hi everybody, thread is open again for business! Is everyone having a good bank holiday?
I would hate to do all that work to get into Oxford when it wasn’t my choice. Plus you have to do even more work once you get there. My elder son wanted Oxford since he was 11, and the younger one used to come and sleep on his 🛋 couch and go to formals. He was jealous of his elder brother therefore worked his socks off to get there as well. I’ve never met anyone more driven than my younger son. Mind you it may surprise you all to know that I would never have got into Oxford and even if I had, I would have hated the course. When choosing a uni, my motto is “the course is king”
Are you the one whose daughter likes kit kats?
I'll just sit here, maybe in 30 years time I'll be an Oxford parent. :wink:
When do her exams start? What on earth are you all going to do after the exams are over? Mine took so many exams I wasn’t quite sure how to function without them
Yes I am! Although Jaffa Cakes feature quite highly in the current calorie intake.
Are you the one whose daughter likes kit kats?
OMG I'm glad I don't live in your house then, I'd be massive! Are you going to be doing anything on your day off? (Monday)
On Saturday my elder son is coming to stay for a week. Then on my birthday we are going down to Southampton and my birthday treat is to go round a cruise ship for the day (my son works for a cruise company).

(Original post by 10271661)
Yes I am! Although Jaffa Cakes feature quite highly in the current calorie intake.
sorry to ask but what did your sons (?) study at Oxford?
Exams start in a couple of weeks and don’t finish until the last week of June. I can’t visualise what that will be like at the moment.....but I’m looking forward to it.
When do her exams start? What on earth are you all going to do after the exams are over? Mine took so many exams I wasn’t quite sure how to function without them
Hi Paprika, I've spoken to you before, I know. My elder son studied German at Oxford. And my son is in his second year of medicine. By the time he has finished uni, I will have spent 10 years as an actual Oxford Mum. Are you interested in applying?
Original post by mpaprika
sorry to ask but what did your sons (?) study at Oxford?
In a way it was worse for me when the younger son had finished his exams. Gove had just made the science exams harder. He had a bad couple of exams, so he was convinced he would not meet his offer. He just made it, though. The best bit was when he got there and I could see him shaking hands with people and looking really happy. My friend, who had brought us both, had to take me by the arm and literally drag me away.

As a single mum, the first two weeks were dreadful, as I missed him. However I went to a formal, and his friends were so wonderful, I was OK with it, because I knew he was happiest there. Then soon afterwards he got himself a girlfriend and they are still going out one and a half years later. His best friend at the time? He is now sharing a set with my son and his girlfriend lives in the room next door.
Original post by 10271661
Exams start in a couple of weeks and don’t finish until the last week of June. I can’t visualise what that will be like at the moment.....but I’m looking forward to it.
yes I remember we talked on your blog! :smile: Actually both of the subjects your sons are prospects for me, but I think I'm leaning more towards German, and of course German at Oxford would be a dream!
Hi Paprika, I've spoken to you before, I know. My elder son studied German at Oxford. And my son is in his second year of medicine. By the time he has finished uni, I will have spent 10 years as an actual Oxford Mum. Are you interested in applying?
I spent my formative years watching cruise ships going in and out of Southampton. Have a lovely Birthday treat.
OMG I'm glad I don't live in your house then, I'd be massive! Are you going to be doing anything on your day off? (Monday)
On Saturday my elder son is coming to stay for a week. Then on my birthday we are going down to Southampton and my birthday treat is to go round a cruise ship for the day (my son works for a cruise company).

(Original post by 10271661)
You're leaning towards German? I reckon I can help you with that. Keep looking at my blog, especially on around 16th May. Then you'll see what (i hope) will happen. Some way or other, I will get some help to you.
Original post by mpaprika
yes I remember we talked on your blog! :smile: Actually both of the subjects your sons are prospects for me, but I think I'm leaning more towards German, and of course German at Oxford would be a dream!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending