The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wow, thanks katbro! this will really be useful for me.
Reply 21
what kind of marks do youget for the cicero - i did my NAB yesterday and got 40/50 but i think i could probably do better!

any tips (and for virgil aswell)?
Reply 22
katbro20
Thanks, it is amazing how hard the old ones are (and how long).

My teacher has had me do all of the ones from 1988 to 2007 - not nice. I usually feel quite depressed after the harder ones. However, the exam will now seem a little easier.

I suppose, use do get used to Cicero's style of writing after a while - oh, I do so hate it.

Sorry, no, I do not have any example essays. However, this is what the marking scheme has for 2004 Cicero.

a) To what extent do you consider Verres' actions to be against the law rather than simply wicked and immoral?

spending winter in bed

being carried around in a litter

conduction legal business from his bed

accepting bribes to influence his legal decisions

having women available to him wherever he travelled

having wild parties

not checking on the slaves' work in the summer

ignoring legal duties in the forum

exempting the Mamertini from supplying a warship

making a deal with them the supply a boat and warehouses for his loot

mismanaging the finances of the fleet

allowing sailors to go home for a bribe

capture of pirate ship

disposing of the contents of the hip as he liked

possibly accepting a bribe to free the pirate chief

not allowing the people the pleasure of seeing prisoners being paraded and executed

sending pirate to Centuripa and not the quarries

If this is useful, I will put up the answers to the other question

yeah thanks for this too i think its on the SQA website- in this Q how would you answer it - just going through each psg saying his actions are against the law as well as wicked and immoral

i.e. in passage 1 Vs spending winter in bed shows his immorality further shown when he conducts legal decisons from his bed in which he acts against the law, hs decisons are unjustly affected by the bribes he recieves....
Reply 23
Does anybody have any essay plans for..

Virgil: Aeneas' character

and Cicero: His weakness' as a writer (something like that)

Also one on how he makes it humerous or something.

REALLY would appreciate it.
Reply 24
So, how did everyone find it?
Reply 25
that's really weird, i just looked back on this about 1 minute seeing that no one had replied, and then you reply. anyway...

it was really good! wasnt fazed by any of the questions, wish i had paid more attention to what the notes were on the house thing, but think i remembered enough to get about 2/3 marks for that question. only higher exam that i finished, and i will just be so GUTTED if i don't get an A. (i dont say that often)

how about you? just out of curiosity, what essay questions you do? i did cicero's illegal and criminal (thanks for the essay marking scheme , reaaally helped :biggrin:), and virgil's enjoyment. a couple of my friends did the dido and palinurus and regreted it, i mean i knew alot about palinurus and dido, but that looked like a b- of a question to tackle so i took to the 2nd one.
Reply 26
The only question that was unexpected was the house one. I just went on about the porch, how Grief and Cares make their bed, the iron bedchambers, and the stables (I don't know if this last one was relevant).

For the essays, I did a) and a).

I thought that the translation was quite essay. Well it was easier than my estimate.
Reply 27
exam was ok - the translation had no higher grammar in it - so all of us finished early

the interp was ok - my teachers gonna complain about some of the Qs for e.g. the one with the line reference but you had to go outwith the lines

the wording of some Qs were weird but it was not like they were impossbile

not really aceptable for the Sqa to give incorrect line references - don't you think?
Reply 28
exam was ok - the translation had no higher grammar in it - so all of us finished early

the interp was ok - my teachers gonna complain about some of the Qs for e.g. the one with the line reference but you had to go outwith the lines

the wording of some Qs were weird but it was not like they were impossbile

not really aceptable for the Sqa to give incorrect line references - don't you think?

what question are you talking about? i dont remember thinking that.. :s-smilie:
Reply 29
reappears
what question are you talking about? i dont remember thinking that.. :s-smilie:

i think a ciciero Q about stone quarries and stuff then the next parts meant you had to extent the line ref!
Reply 30
how did u all get on in the exam
Reply 31
OK.

I got an A, but I still have not asked my teacher what band I got. I don't think that I want to know. I am happy with the A at the moment, but if I find out that I got an A2 I will be disappointed.

Anyone taking Advanced Higher?

Latest

Trending

Trending