The Student Room Group

Jekyll & Hyde Predictions

Share your views here :smile:
Original post by rockyball89

Duality, importance of reputation, how Stevenson uses Utterson to explore friendships, to what extent does Stevenson present Jekyll as a secretive character

This is what my school team predicted btw
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Utterson, Lanyon or duality
Reply 3
Original post by rockyball89

i hope it's on utterson
Reply 4
What do you guys think the question will be if it’s about utterson
Original post by Elaine16
What do you guys think the question will be if it’s about utterson

I reckon it’ll be repression or friendship
Original post by Rebekah_951
Utterson, Lanyon or duality

It won’t be about Lanyon because he’s not a major character. He’s not in the novel enough to have a whole question about him. The passage we are given could be about him though.

Example: it could be a passage from “Dr Lanyon’s Narrative” and when he witnessed the transformation of Hyde into Jekyll but the question as a whole would be something to do with horror in Jekyll and Hyde or science vs religion. It would not be solely about Lanyon
(Characters) Probably Lanyon or Poole- didn't see them in an exam question before
(themes) Probably Secrecy, religion or friendship.
Original post by Baby_Mama
(Characters) Probably Lanyon or Poole- didn't see them in an exam question before
(themes) Probably Secrecy, religion or friendship.

It can’t be Lanyon or Poole because they aren’t major characters. There’s not enough to write about them but the passage we are given can be about them
I have a feeling that the passage will be from Chapter 10.
Original post by Hannah1903
It can’t be Lanyon or Poole because they aren’t major characters. There’s not enough to write about them but the passage we are given can be about them

Not true, so your saying that aqa are limited to only asking questions about 2 characters?
Lanyon represents many themes such as friendship, society etc. They can ask it on whatever they want
Not true, so your saying that aqa are limited to only asking questions about 2 characters?
Lanyon represents many themes such as friendship, society etc. They can ask it on whatever they want

Jsut because they represent themes doesn’t mean they can be used. Characters need to be there throughout the entire book/novel/play in order to have a whole question about them.

Example:

There can be a passage from “Dr Lanyon’s Narrative” which is about Lanyon but the question will be something like “How does Stevenson portray the theme of horror in this novel?”.

Same as in “Macbeth” there can’t be a whole question on Duncan because he is murdered in Act 2, therefore there is not enough to say about him throughout the play so it could be a passage about Duncan but the question will not directly be about him

It’s not limited to 2 characters. It can be themes too.

Jekyll, Hyde, Utterson, horror, duality, repression, reputation.......the list goes on
Original post by Hannah1903
It’s not limited to 2 characters. It can be themes too.

Jekyll, Hyde, Utterson, horror, duality, repression, reputation.......the list goes on

I understand what your saying, however nobody knows what the exam board are going to do as there is not a specification so it is all guesswork
I understand what your saying, however nobody knows what the exam board are going to do as there is not a specification so it is all guesswork

We know that they can’t choose a character that is not present throughout the entire novel. If they did many many complaints would be made as it is impossible to give a full answer for this kind of question.
It may be about utterson , but looking around online it could be about Hyde ? If they bring in a minor character they will make it so we have to compare it to a major character
Original post by limbobimbo
They wouldn't do tht since there wouldnt be much to talk about since they know everyone will focus on the major characters

this thread is for the exam that i did 4 years ago, not the 2023 exam.
Original post by Talkative Toad
this thread is for the exam that i did 4 years ago, not the 2023 exam.

omd it issss, lmfao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending