The Student Room Group

How am I putting on weight during Ramadan?

So the full question is actually How am I putting on weight during Ramadan whilst on a low calorie deficit?

I am trying to loose weight, and have been since February. I have been consuming 1200 calories per day. In Feb I started off with 12.7 stones and before Ramadan started I was 11.5 stones.

I know weight does fluctuate throughout the day and usually I would check my weight in the morning before I've eaten anything. But during Ramadan that's difficult because you've last eaten around 3am. So in the morning when I get up the scale is showing me 11.9 stones. I checked in the afternoon again and it went down to 11.6 stones.

I don't know if that's meant to be my real weight or not but if it is how have I gained weight? I'm so confused. Why have I gained a pound, I should have been 11.4 stones by now.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Probably because your eating so much at iftar
Reply 2
Original post by Jawad!
Probably because your eating so much at iftar

did you even read the details?
Original post by anniisa97
So the full question is actually How am I putting o weight during Ramadan whilst on a low calorie deficit?

I am trying to loose weight, and have been since February. I have been eating 1200 calories per day. In Feb I started off with 12.7 stones and before Ramadan started I was 11.5 stones.

I know weight does fluctuate throughout the day and usually I would check my weight in the morning before I've eaten anything. But during Ramadan that's difficult because you've last eaten around 3am. So in the morning when I get up the scale is showing me 11.9 stones. I checked in the afternoon again and it went down to 11.6 stones.

I don't know if that's meant to be my real weight or not but if it is how have I gained weight? I'm so confused. Why have I gained a pound, I should have been 11.4 stones by now.

Are you doing less during the day because of fatigue or sleeping more/resting more?
So the full question is actually How am I putting o weight during Ramadan whilst on a low calorie deficit?

I am trying to loose weight, and have been since February. I have been eating 1200 calories per day. I started off with 12.7 stones and before Ramadan started I was 11.5 stones.

I know weight does fluctuate throughout the day and usually I would check my weight in the morning before I've eaten anything. But during Ramadan that's difficult because you've last eaten around 3am. So around that time the scale is showing me 11.9 stones. I checked in the afternoon again and it went down to 11.6 stones.

yes weight does regularly fluctuate throughout the day, but if your metabolism & daily activity is average your probably burning around 2.5-3.5K calories. If you consumed 1.2K calories you would be losing weight (fairly quickly).

You are not in a calorie deficit, are you sure your accurately counting calories as even very sedate people will lose weight on that low a daily calorie intake.

Probably need to up your metabolism (muscular endurance workouts), check what your eating, good habits such as drink water sleep etc. to lose weight
Reply 5
Original post by Zamestaneh
Are you doing less during the day because of fatigue or sleeping more/resting more?

Yes. but I do exercise most days after Iftaar (breaking my fast).
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
yes weight does regularly fluctuate throughout the day, but if your metabolism & daily activity is average your probably burning around 2.5-3.5K calories. If you consumed 1.2K calories you would be losing weight (fairly quickly).

You are not in a calorie deficit, are you sure your accurately counting calories as even very sedate people will lose weight on that low a daily calorie intake.

Probably need to up your metabolism (muscular endurance workouts), check what your eating, good habits such as drink water sleep etc. to lose weight

I weigh everything I eat on a scale before recording it on My fitness pal. I'm defibitely doing it correctly. There's no doubt in my mind. I'm not even eating fried, or junk food. Haven't had pizza, burgers or crisps since Febaury.

I do weight lifting at least 3 times a week after I've broken my fast.
Yes. but I do exercise most days after Iftaar (breaking my fast).

Hmm I guess it could be that you aren't burning as many calories as you normally do, or it could be water weight (due to drinking a lot of water between Iftaar and Suhoor). I would concentrate more on your body fat percentage rather than weight because weight can also be due to muscles (and water as I said), which is heavier than fat.
Reply 8
Original post by Zamestaneh
Hmm I guess it could be that you aren't burning as many calories as you normally do, or it could be water weight (due to drinking a lot of water between Iftaar and Suhoor). I would concentrate more on your body fat percentage rather than weight because weight can also be due to muscles (and water as I said), which is heavier than fat.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until I'm on my time of the month and check in the mornings again to see what's really going on.
(edited 4 years ago)
Probably water weight as you would try and increase your fluid intake before Sehri since you don’t drink water all day
Reply 10
Original post by Illusination
Probably water weight as you would try and increase your fluid intake before Sehri since you don’t drink water all day

That's true. I just really really hope I haven't gone up to 11.6 stones because that's so disheartening.
So the full question is actually How am I putting on weight during Ramadan whilst on a low calorie deficit?

I am trying to loose weight, and have been since February. I have been consuming 1200 calories per day. In Feb I started off with 12.7 stones and before Ramadan started I was 11.5 stones.

I am not muslim but I was talking to my muslim colleague and asking him about his ramadan - he is a doctor. He says that he always puts on weight as he is essentially eating two buffets a day and doesn't burn them off.
I weigh everything I eat on a scale before recording it on My fitness pal. I'm defibitely doing it correctly. There's no doubt in my mind. I'm not even eating fried, or junk food. Haven't had pizza, burgers or crisps since Febaury.

I do weight lifting at least 3 times a week after I've broken my fast.

Myfitnesspal is a great way of keeping track, but the maths just doesn't add up.
1,200 calories is very low your body should easily burn this.

Maybe weigh yourself everyday at the same time, and for the next week be meticulous in recording your food diary on myfitnesspal. Then see where you are 7 days from now...

But starting at 11.5 and now at 11.6 basically means nothing has happened, which would not be the case if u only consumed 1,200 cals

If after 7 days eating 1,200 cals and working out 3 times your in the same place as today then your something tracking is flawed. If you make progress, then just build off where you are today!
Cut down on the samosas
Reply 14
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I am not muslim but I was talking to my muslim colleague and asking him about his ramadan - he is a doctor. He says that he always puts on weight as he is essentially eating two buffets a day and doesn't burn them off.

Wouldn't you naturally burn it off throughout the day anyway? Especially if it's 1200 calories. Everyone has a certain number of calories their body burns throughout the day. That would at least help me maintain the weight I was on instead of gaining a pound right?
Reply 15
Original post by mnot
Myfitnesspal is a great way of keeping track, but the maths just doesn't add up.
1,200 calories is very low your body should easily burn this.

Maybe weigh yourself everyday at the same time, and for the next week be meticulous in recording your food diary on myfitnesspal. Then see where you are 7 days from now...

But starting at 11.5 and now at 11.6 basically means nothing has happened, which would not be the case if u only consumed 1,200 cals

If after 7 days eating 1,200 cals and working out 3 times your in the same place as today then your something tracking is flawed. If you make progress, then just build off where you are today!

Usually I will be loosing a pound every 5 days. Nothing has changed in my diet apart from the fact that it is Ramadan. Like I said I would have been 11.4 stones by now, but that's not seemed to have happened.
Reply 16
Original post by FTheOpps
Cut down on the samosas

I don't eat samosas... they're nice though.
Usually I will be loosing a pound every 5 days. Nothing has changed in my diet apart from the fact that it is Ramadan. Like I said I would have been 11.4 stones by now, but that's not seemed to have happened.

This might well affect your bodies metabolism, but 1,200 calories is such a low amount i would have thought you should be in a calorie deficit (if your not probably need to lift some heavier weights). All i can suggest is try going back to your normal non-Ramadan schedule and see what happens.
did you by chance go to lady-pool primary school??
Reply 19
Original post by mnot
This might well affect your bodies metabolism, but 1,200 calories is such a low amount i would have thought you should be in a calorie deficit (if your not probably need to lift some heavier weights). All i can suggest is try going back to your normal non-Ramadan schedule and see what happens.

Can't do that until I'm on my time of the month. But until then I'll try to lift heavier weights like you suggested.

Quick Reply

Latest