The Student Room Group

How am I putting on weight during Ramadan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rid The Kid
did you by chance go to lady-pool primary school??

lol no. I'm a university student.

edit: just realised you're not asking about the present. No I've never heard of that school before. Why?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anniisa97
Can't do that until I'm on my time of the month. But until then I'll try to lift heavier weights like you suggested.

I feel the need to say now, i was being anecdotal in the sense your workouts might need to increase in intensity, maybe book a session with a PT & nutritionist before doing anything too drastic
lol no. I'm a university student.

did**. nvm your name was a peer in my school like 10 years ago
Reply 23
Original post by mnot
I feel the need to say now, i was being anecdotal in the sense your workouts might need to increase in intensity, maybe book a session with a PT & nutritionist before doing anything too drastic

I don't have the money for that. But on a serious note. I'm not an idiot, I know how much I can handle. I'm not going to add a drastic amount.
It's probably water weight, or if you're not eating enough, your body stores fat for energy, so you gain a lot more weight.
Reply 25
Original post by Rid The Kid
did**. nvm your name was a peer in my school like 10 years ago

Nope. I went to Whiteknights Primary school.
(edited 4 years ago)
Wouldn't you naturally burn it off throughout the day anyway? Especially if it's 1200 calories. Everyone has a certain number of calories their body burns throughout the day. That would at least help me maintain the weight I was on instead of gaining a pound right?

No. When you starve your body it goes into survival mode. I find this if I want to lose weight quickly.

As a health professional I would tell you that Ramadan is really bad idea and very unhealthy. But I am not from your religion
Original post by squeakysquirrel
No. When you starve your body it goes into survival mode. I find this if I want to lose weight quickly.

As a health professional I would tell you that Ramadan is really bad idea and very unhealthy. But I am not from your religion

Actually many doctors and nutritionists say that Ramadan is a very healthy thing. Fasting has benefits on overall life and cognitive capacities. It's people that over or under-eat and eat really unhealthy, fried food that make it a very bad.
Reply 28
Original post by squeakysquirrel

As a health professional you obviously don't know anything about your profession. Look up fasting, your whole idea of "body goes into survival mode" is old and outdated. Your body doesn't go into survival mode unless you're dangerously skinny to begin with. You sure you're a health professional?
Reply 29
Original post by anonymous1231231
Actually many doctors and nutritionists say that Ramadan is a very healthy thing. Fasting has benefits on overall life and cognitive capacities. It's people that over or under-eat and eat really unhealthy, fried food that make it a very bad.

yeah this person isn't a health professional...
tekkers
As a health professional you obviously don't know anything about your profession. Look up fasting, your whole idea of "body goes into survival mode" is old and outdated. Your body doesn't go into survival mode unless you're dangerously skinny to begin with. You sure you're a health professional?

Yes I am. I can understand cutting down of food, but depriving yourself of fluid when our essential organs need it is not such a great idea.
Original post by anonymous1231231

The problem is many Muslims don't really fast. They just skip food during the day then gorge themselves in the evening. It's one of the reasons why obesity rates are higher in many Muslim countries than in Western countries.
Reply 33
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
The problem is many Muslims don't really fast. They just skip food during the day then gorge themselves in the evening. It's one of the reasons why obesity rates are higher in many Muslim countries than in Western countries.

From last time I checked USA had the highest rates of obese people, then Austrailia, and then the UK. Can you provide me statistics to prove you're correct because this is new to me?

I agree. A lot of Muslims if not most stuff their faces during Iftaar. But I'm not too sure about Muslim countries having higher obese rates in general
From last time I checked USA had the highest rates of obese people, then Austrailia, and then the UK. Can you provide me statistics to prove you're correct because this is new to me?

I agree. A lot of Muslims if not most stuff their faces during Iftaar. But I'm not too sure about Muslim countries having higher obese rates in general

You must have last checked about 30 years ago, because this isn't anything new.

Tiny island nations aside, most of the 20-25 most obese countries in the world are predominately Muslim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_body_mass_index
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe

Yeah that’s what I said. It’s obviously a lot easier to eat a bunch of carbs to fill yourself up but it’s unhealthy

Quick Reply

Latest