The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I found the OCR exam fairly reasonable. I actually enjoyed watching the Stormbreaker extract (as much as it is possible to enjoy an exam...) and was pleasantly surprised with the stereotyping question as it was the only one our teacher had thoroughly covered with us. Which sitcoms did everyone analyse? I used Friends and Spaced :]

Also, it sounds like I wasn't the only one to find NMT slightly more difficult, which, to be honest, I'm pleased about. They may be slightly more lenient with the A grade boundary!

I don't really understand this argument over Media Studies being a joke. I knew when I took the subject it was 'blacklisted' by many universities. I love media so I didn't care! I also think the idea that people must be unintelligent to take it is ridiculous, because that is basically what people are implying, with all of this 'won't get into Cambridge/Oxford' nonsense!

Just so you know, I take 5 AS levels: Maths&Mech, Biology, Chemistry, Graphics and Media and I am predicted As in each one, so this fixed ideology is a big, fat misconception :]
This whole media debate has always annoyed me, even more so now I study the subject. People say media is a 'soft' subject and you know what, those who say it are often being influenced by the media's perception of it! Ironic, no? My challenge for any one who says its easy or soft is, try it for yourself. You'll soon realise its not as easy as you think. Just because we take media as a subject doesnt make us less intelligent, it just means we are more creative and look at the real world more. Also the whole oxford/cambridge thing - why should it be the end of the world if you don't get in there? There are plenty of other good universities! One last thing about it - take a think about today. Did you read a newspaper? See some type of advert? Watch TV or a film? Ever think how all of that is affecting you and your views, whether conciously or not. As media students we are taught to look further at these things which effect every day life. Not many subjects can say that.

About the exam: I hope everyone did well and I certainly am glad its over. Good luck for the rest of your exams and on results day! x

Latest