The Student Room Group

Med school suggestion

I'm in year 13 currently applying to med school for 2024 entry.
My stats :
Distinction star, 9 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 6 ( 6 in literature )

My predicted grades: A* A* A* B ( B in biology ) maybe bumped to an A in my retake
I study
Biology
Maths
Chemistry
Psychology

I got 2500 SJT band 1

Can I get some advise on some med schools I should probably be looking at for max chance.

Also Do you have any advice on sites I can use to research the diversity, school life and how I can judge how good unis are
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Nadi09
I'm in year 13 currently applying to med school for 2024 entry.
My stats :
Distinction star, 9 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 6 ( 6 in literature )

My predicted grades: A* A* A* B ( B in biology ) maybe bumped to an A in my retake
I study
Biology
Maths
Chemistry
Psychology

I got 2500 SJT band 1

Can I get some advise on some med schools I should probably be looking at for max chance.

Also Do you have any advice on sites I can use to research the diversity, school life and how I can judge how good unis are

Keele and sunderland dont place emphasis on the ucat that much, minimum 2400 is needed.

Use the student room megathread on medicine
Reply 2
Useful list of entry requirements for all UK Med Schools - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf

Its definitely worth including one, maybe two, of the less competitive med schools - if you really want to work in Medicine, you wont care where you train - and neither will the NHS.
Reply 3
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Keele and sunderland dont place emphasis on the ucat that much, minimum 2400 is needed.

Use the student room megathread on medicine

Thanks so much!

I find it quite hard to navigate through the threads on tsr
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Useful list of entry requirements for all UK Med Schools - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf

Its definitely worth including one, maybe two, of the less competitive med schools - if you really want to work in Medicine, you wont care where you train - and neither will the NHS.

Does studying at a less competitive school compromise on quality of teaching?
Original post by Nadi09

No it doesnt
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Nadi09

All Med degrees are accredited by the GMC as 'equal', all teach exactly the same stuff that you need to be a doctor - and the teaching will have passed regular GMC accreditation checks - so stop being a snob.

This isnt a vanity contest - if getting into a 'pretty Uni' is mega important to you, then you need to rethink doing medicine.
Reply 7
All Med degrees are accredited by the GMC as 'equal', all teach exactly the same stuff that you need to be a doctor - and the teaching will have passed regular GMC accreditation checks - so stop being a snob.

This isnt a vanity contest - if getting into a 'pretty Uni' is mega important to you, then you need to rethink doing medicine.

I don't think you particularly understood my question .

At all.

Also... a snob?

thanks for that
Reply 8
Original post by Nadi09
I don't think you particularly understood my question .

Then perhaps you would like to clarify it.
No it doesnt

It just that some medical school are not as well known as others
Reply 10
It just that some medical school are not as well known as others

Oh right.. thank you !!
Reply 11
Then perhaps you would like to clarify it.

I just felt that when it comes to applying to university it's fair for me to have concerns when it comes to the quality of teaching I'll be receiving for 5 odd years particularly with a course like medicine ...

That was all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending