The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Matilda
It carries out experiments on animals. It's not fair. I'm not going to a university that is cruel and unjust no matter how acedemicaly good it is. Sheffield Hallam where i've applied is much more appropriate in my opinion for myself.

If you dont like for hunting or animal testing.

DONT GO TO CAMBRIDGE!

If you don't mind it

Then by all means go

piss off :eek:
Reply 2
Matilda
It carries out experiments on animals. It's not fair. I'm not going to a university that is cruel and unjust no matter how acedemicaly good it is. Sheffield Hallam where i've applied is much more appropriate in my opinion for myself.

DONT GO TO CAMBRIDGE!

If you don't mind it

Then by all means go

GO TO OXFORD. WE CAN'T AFFORD ANIMAL TESTING!!!
Reply 3
S@sha

ha ha lol good for oxford at least some people can be fair if they're hindered from being unjust. This proves money isn't everything is all I can say.
Reply 4
Quiksilver
p*** off :eek:

Well quicksilver that's your opinion and you're entiltled to it as we are suspossed to be a democracy.

But I wouldn't put it as explicitly.lol
Reply 5
Matilda

DONT GO TO CAMBRIDGE!

If you don't mind it

Then by all means go

tell that to the potentially millions of people this research will eventually help! Go grow up!
Reply 6
Willa
tell that to the potentially millions of people this research will eventually help! Go grow up!

Oh but you haven't thought about the millions of animals that a suffering now.
Reply 7
Not giving my opinion, but just letting you know, when I went to the oxford open day, they were builiding an animal testing lab. Some students were protesting, but anyone now how its going?
Reply 8
Cambridge was going to build an animal testing lab. Then there were loads of protests. Now it's been moved to Oxford. There's loads of protests, and they're getting pretty annoying, especially as they're mostly just destructive.

The sort of lab they're proposing carries out the experiments which are required by law. So the protestors are only succeeding in getting the labs moved, rather than cancelled; a very NIMBY approach.
Matilda

DONT GO TO CAMBRIDGE!

If you don't mind it

Then by all means go

I've got a fantastic idea. Put yourself forward to be tested on. Then you will be savin an animal. Will you do it?
Reply 10
Matilda
Oh but you haven't thought about the millions of animals that a suffering now.

i'd rather a few animals suffer now to stop many millions of humans suffering in the future - we are the dominant species on the planet, thus we must protect and help ourselves. But we are being responsible as well because our actions are not wiping out a species...we're only experimenting on a few animals!

Yes it would be nicer if we didnt have to, but atm it's the only way!
Reply 11
RxB
Cambridge was going to build an animal testing lab. Then there were loads of protests. Now it's been moved to Oxford. There's loads of protests, and they're getting pretty annoying, especially as they're mostly just destructive.

The sort of lab they're proposing carries out the experiments which are required by law. So the protestors are only succeeding in getting the labs moved, rather than cancelled; a very NIMBY approach.

cry weep oh the inhumanity

I'm with the protesters 100%
Reply 12
englishstudent
I've got a fantastic idea. Put yourself forward to be tested on. Then you will be savin an animal. Will you do it?

yes anything for the animals
Reply 13
Willa
i'd rather a few animals suffer now to stop many millions of humans suffering in the future - we are the dominant species on the planet, thus we must protect and help ourselves. But we are being responsible as well because our actions are not wiping out a species...we're only experimenting on a few animals!

Yes it would be nicer if we didnt have to, but atm it's the only way!

What about human experimentation?

Get the student's tested on and give em some money to help them through uni.
Reply 14
Matilda

In what way? In the sense of "Yeah, cool, let's get this moved somewhere else as it's going to be built eventually!"?
Reply 15
S@sha

ahem. are you sure about that?

& i think any university with a medical school / life sciences / pharmacology departments, will use animal tissues for testing.
so that rules out most russel group/red bricks..

even if i were against animal testing for medical purposes (& considering i'm a medical student, it wouldn't be very sensible, now would it.. :wink: ) i'm not sure i'd be as selfless as to limit by education on the basis of the university activities even in other departments to mine. :tongue:

& further to the point of moving them elsewhere - within this country we have some of the most stringent rules in the world - so pushing the investment elsewhere in the world is somewhat counter-productive in the aim of stopping animal crulety.

why not focus your attention to the abuse of pets/animals in general? this is illegal & kills far more animals each year in this country than legitimate research, for which animals represent the expensive option, so are used as sparingly as possible.
Reply 16
Matilda
What about human experimentation?

Get the student's tested on and give em some money to help them through uni.

because humans innately value each other more than they value animals! gotta experiment on something, so obviously gonna choose the thing which matters least! that IS NOT saying that scientists dont care about the animals, it's just if you needed to experiment on someone, would you rather experiment on your cat or on your mum? The answer is obvious!
Matilda

inhumanity? :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Matilda

DONT GO TO CAMBRIDGE!

If you don't mind it

Then by all means go

Hi - do you have any leather shoes? If so OMG you are an animal killer!!!!!!!!

Do you honestly think you would get in to Cambridge?
Reply 19
Matilda
It carries out experiments on animals. It's not fair. I'm not going to a university that is cruel and unjust no matter how acedemicaly good it is.

Cruelty is a matter of opinion, but I can understand that opinion. Unjust though? How is animal testing unjust? Where does justice come into it?

Matilda
If you dont like for hunting

Where did hunting come into it? Cambridge supports this how?

Matilda
DONT GO TO CAMBRIDGE!

And don't use cosmetics, or take medication, or use perfumes, or wear make-up. If you're going to be logically consistent, you'd have to forgo all these things that come from the research they do. If you do, good for you. There's far to many people that campaign against animal testing but are happy to use the products of it.

People put out rat poison all the time. Yet when one's given a life-saving drug to test, it becomes cruel? When you're prepared to see people die because the medication they need is untested, or when computer simulations become good enough to make testing unnecessary, then we can do away with animal testing. I'm not prepared to see people die though. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. But posting in an Oxbridge forum a message like that is likely to get a hostile reaction. I'm sure many people will echo Quiksilver's reaction, though perhaps less explicitly.

Latest

Trending

Trending