The Student Room Group

Lifting Adventures

Scroll to see replies

I've watched it four or five times, and didn't read Cucumbers comment first.

I have the same conclusions, you aren't going to hurt yourself at all this with form, it's simply a matter of what is optimal, you will be in a better position to lift if you get yourself back slightly more behind the bar. You are hinging nicely though which is something a lot of people struggle with.

I'd add this weight doesn't look anywhere near maximal for you so it may be that I would see different things if I saw a greater percentage lift.
Reply 21
Original post by Gone Revising II
I've watched it four or five times, and didn't read Cucumbers comment first.

I have the same conclusions, you aren't going to hurt yourself at all this with form, it's simply a matter of what is optimal, you will be in a better position to lift if you get yourself back slightly more behind the bar. You are hinging nicely though which is something a lot of people struggle with.

I'd add this weight doesn't look anywhere near maximal for you so it may be that I would see different things if I saw a greater percentage lift.

PRSOM.

I'll see if I can get footage for a heavier lift.

Thank you both so much for this!
Oh and get chalk, use mixed grip or use straps
At ten years in now, I can confirm that I regret only mixed gripping. I do have visible imbalances in my upper back if I bend forward to view it top-down.

[currently still just mixed gripping while I get round to replacing my straps lol]
For standing OHP, get some dope ass music, squeeze your ass cheeks and push. Preferably do this lift first if you want to hit a PR.

Trust. I did it today and put 10kg on my old max somehow lol
Reply 25
21/06/19
Was meant to do OHP press first as kuro suggested but these two friends were occupying both racks so I had no choice but to do my squats first. It was a shame too because one of the guys was quarter squatting and just messing around, kind of annoying.

But at least I managed to hit 90kg on my squat. Managed to do three reps on 70kg for bench press. It felt so light for some reason, I was going to continue but the guy spotting me didn't really know how to spot so I didn't feel comfortable carrying on.

I also managed to hit new number for deadlift. Funny story this one, so I was doing as AC & Gone Revising told me and positioned myself better behind the bar. As soon as I lift, I feel my quads and my glutes in agony from the heavy squat load. God it was to fatiguing that I didn't realise I had made the bar heavier and did 140kg (whoops)

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
In :smile:.
At ten years in now, I can confirm that I regret only mixed gripping. I do have visible imbalances in my upper back if I bend forward to view it top-down.

[currently still just mixed gripping while I get round to replacing my straps lol]

I started to get worried about this a few weeks ago and so I am trying to get into doing hook grip. So far just used it on warm up sets to get my thumb used to the pain
Reply 28
I remember using mixed grip a couple of times but it just felt weird to me not sure why.

I do need to get some chalk though
Reply 29
26/06/19
Not the best session. I am fatiguing more quickly since I've starting increasing the weight on all of my lifts. I don't think my current program of 5x5 doing all compound lifts per session will continue to work anymore. I haven't even been able to do 5x5 on most of my lifts these days because I'm getting tired far more quickly.

I will need to re-evaluate my program. On the bright side, deadlift is doing better now. Did drop sets on bench because the guy spotting me was giving me tips so it sort of distracted me and so decided to go through with that. Legs were so hammered from deadlifts that I didn't bother squatting which really annoyed me.

OHP still needs work, but at least I can comfortably do 40kg now. I have a lot of work to do if I plan to become the best version of myself.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by usfbullz
26/06/19
Not the best session. I am fatiguing more quickly since I've starting increasing the weight on all of my lifts. I don't think my current program of 5x5 doing all compound lifts per session will continue to work anymore. I haven't even been able to do 5x5 on most of my lifts these days because I'm getting tired far more quickly.

I will need to re-evaluate my program. On the bright side, deadlift is doing better now. Did drop sets on bench because the guy spotting me was giving me tips so it sort of distracted me and so decided to go through with that. Legs were so hammered from deadlifts that I didn't bother squatting which really annoyed me.

OHP still needs work, but at least I can comfortably do 40kg now. I have a lot of work to do if I plan to become the best version of myself.

Spoiler

Which programme are you following? Maybe you need to reevaluate how much eat/sleep you get :smile:

Looked at your OP, hows boxing/Thai going? Im thinking of joining a martial art society at my uni next year maybe Thai Boxing
Reply 31
Original post by SuperHuman98
Which programme are you following? Maybe you need to reevaluate how much eat/sleep you get :smile:

Looked at your OP, hows boxing/Thai going? Im thinking of joining a martial art society at my uni next year maybe Thai Boxing

Haven't decided which I plan to do yet. Planning to wait until I head off to uni (hopefully) in Sept/Oct.

The programme I follow is a slight variation of the Starting Strength program.

P.S: Congrats on being able to do squats again!
You're doing massive volume for a newbie and probably a bit cooked
Next 2 sessions. Go in and do your normal routine at 50% then go back to 5 kg less than you are now. Then restart
Reply 33
Original post by Angry cucumber
You're doing massive volume for a newbie and probably a bit cooked
Next 2 sessions. Go in and do your normal routine at 50% then go back to 5 kg less than you are now. Then restart

PRSOM.
Echo the others about volume. There's nothing inherently wrong with doing bench and OHP every session though, just have to be sensible with the programming.

My suggestion, feel free to ignore as I'm. No expert and what works for me might not work for you. I assume you're doing your workout 3x a week as you say it's modified SS.

Keep squat volume roughly as it is.

Drop deadlift to 1x5 every other session. Don't superset it with other back exercises.

Squat before deadlifts. If you want to not do squats on deadlift days so you're fresh for DLs that'd fine, could also reduce squat weight by 10% on deadlift days so you have more energy. How necessary this is will depend also on your conditioning, recovery and simply what weight you're shifting.

Alternate which you do first out of bench and OHP. Only try to progress the one you do first, and knock anything from 2.5 to 10kg off the weight you do second. How much you take off will depend on your conditioning and recovery.

If you increase a weight and can't do 5x5 don't just deload and try again. You need to increase training stimulus to progress. If you can't do 5x5 try doing the same total reps over more sets, e.g. 9x3, then 7x4, then 5x5. Sure, it takes 3 sessions to get to 5x5 before increasing the weight but slower progress is better than no progress. Things like your shoulders are small and OHP can't increase indefinitely.

If you want to look at my blog I've explained my programming in a bit more detail. However, I'm returning from a few years out so am able to progress more quickly than true noob. I'm also doing high volume but know I can handle it - everyone is different so what works for one might not work for another.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 35
01/07/19
Fairly standard I guess. Took 5kg off what I usually do (Wasn't able to go on Fri) to prepare for switching programs.
Still currently deciding what to do, illusionz's program looks pretty solid and I'll be able to adjust it for me (ie swap rows for squats) but I'm still going to look around.

I will also try 1x5 for deadlift for the next month as I feel confident enough to not have to focus on it every workout compared to the other lifts. Also it's the main reason why I'm always so exhausted every session which is why I could only do 3 sets for squats today and ended up skipping accessory work.

OHP has been going well, think I'm ready to move up to the next weight. I need to find a reliable spotter for bench press.....

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
squats before deadlift is a lot easier than the other way round

X2
Reply 38

X2

Yeah that is true. Not sure what I was thinking yesterday, just got too used to doing deadlift straight after OHP.

Going to bear this in mind for the new program, thank you guys.
At the same time, it's easier to progress deadlifts when you do them fresh, not after sets of heavy squats.

Depending on your goals, if you want to maximise your deadlift you may want to focus on deadlifts one session and squats the next.

Quick Reply

Latest