The Student Room Group

Lifting Adventures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
05/07/19
Today was good. I'm sticking with this program until I move onto a more intermediate program which I will now have more time to research properly. (Thank you @illusionz)

I have so much to learn about proper programming but I got the whole summer to do it.

Skipped accessory work as I had to unexpectedly leave early due to unforseen circumstances

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Gone Revising II
I just want to show you squat every day types how much more fun it is to go to the gym on a mission to destroy your delts.

I do like the sound of that, but squats are just :suith:
only 2 X 5 skwat today?
Original post by illusionz
And what if one hates squats?

Then you’re even easier to convert to a body part split
Reply 64
Original post by Angry cucumber
only 2 X 5 skwat today?

Yep unfortunately, just wanted to focus on moving the most weight possible today. Although now it only 3x5 for squats, I'll take what I can get.
Reply 65
08/07/17
Felt ill and had a really bad head ache. Felt like my brain was going to explode, really dumb of me to still continue but I didn't want anything to get in the way of my progression.

As a result of this, I skipped squats and cut the accessory/isolation work short. Feeling better today so hopefully I can actually complete the full workout tomorrow.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by usfbullz
08/07/17
Felt ill and had a really bad head ache. Felt like my brain was going to explode, really dumb of me to still continue but I didn't want anything to get in the way of my progression.

As a result of this, I skipped squats and cut the accessory/isolation work short. Feeling better today so hopefully I can actually complete the full workout tomorrow.

Spoiler

I always find that pull ups/chin ups are the worst to do when you have a headache :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by SuperHuman98
I always find that pull ups/chin ups are the worst to do when you have a headache :biggrin:

Yeah it was so weird! And really hard to focus...

Never again.
Deadlifts
Reply 69
10/07/19
Mixed. Achieved higher numbers on squat and OHP but sets were all over the place. Shoulders and upper back still aching from the rows/OHP last session. At least I manages to achieve progressive overload.

On a side note, I'm glad I listened to myself because I was initially going to go for 100kg squat but then as soon as I walked in to the gym, had a bad feeling.

Spoiler

Maybe you could try microloading. So instead of trying 95kg after successful doing 3x5 on 90kg. You could move onto 92.5kg for 3x5 using 1.25kg plates
Reply 71
Maybe you could try microloading. So instead of trying 95kg after successful doing 3x5 on 90kg. You could move onto 92.5kg for 3x5 using 1.25kg plates

PRSOM.

My gym used to have them, but now they're pretty much gone for some reason. Just loads of 2.5s everywhere

Although, I could just ask member of staff where they've actually put them so I will do that
Are you doing warm up sets or are you starting with that weight on the bar?
Reply 73
Original post by Angry cucumber
Are you doing warm up sets or are you starting with that weight on the bar?

I do warm up sets but don't include them in the notes.
Back in 2010 I had the same problem as you in my local total fitness and bought some Olympic 1.25kg plates online. Have a search, they don’t need to be expensive ones.
Reply 75
12/07/19
Squat was once again not good. I have managed to identify one key area that is causing me to not achieve the reps and that is my hip drive. Having looked around online, seems hip thrust may be the solution to my problem.

Managed to hit 70kg for 4 reps, when I was going for the 5th one, my mind went blank and next thing I knew the barbell was falling on me but I managed to bail quickly enough.

Did dips, chest fly and chin ups but didn't bother adding them to notes.

Managed to find some 1kg plates around my house so I'll be using them at the gym.

Still searching for program whenever I have free time.

Spoiler

Reply 76
19/07/19
Today was unexpected but interesting. Squat has gone up even though I only did two reps but they were below parallel. Trained with this very strong guy today after he saw my squat, he has crazy forearms and straight arm strength. He really pushed out of my comfort zone. Made me do heavy weights and lots of drop sets, got destroyed.

Although I got laughed at by some regulars for how much I struggled when I was training with this guy, made me realise that I'm afraid of going heavy.

Phone is acting weird so:

Spoiler

As you can see, a bit crazy. Usually I would dismiss some of the sets I did as just pure assistance as the guy was helping me in the heavier sets but I really had to push myself.
You'll be bloody sore tomorrow
Reply 78
22/07/19
Mixed. Deadlift was really good, tried mixed grip properly even though I was told to over a month ago by AC. Felt so much easier for the heavier weights. Reps may look odd as I go higher as I held back some reps so I wasn't fatigued to do 160.

Didn't feel like squatting today. Made no progress on OHP, I'm just assuming I'm not fully recovered from that session on Friday even though my body feels better.

Spoiler

Now for something a little different:

Physique update:

Spoiler

Reply 79
24/07/19
Didn't really feel like squatting again but still got some done. Other than that, today was pretty normal.

I look forward to deadlifts on Friday.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest