The Student Room Group

Lifting Adventures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
26/07/19
I'm experiencing a "mental block" in which I mean my mind is refusing (mind? ikr..) me from squatting anything higher than 100kg or OHP anything higher than 50kg. This is due to fear of injury.

Hopefully I get over it.

Spoiler

Original post by usfbullz
26/07/19
I'm experiencing a "mental block" in which I mean my mind is refusing (mind? ikr..) me from squatting anything higher than 100kg or OHP anything higher than 50kg. This is due to fear of injury.

Hopefully I get over it.

Spoiler

nice deadlift
Reply 82
31/07/19
Today was pretty good. Did quite a bit of deadlift, didn't increase weight just did more sets. Managed to overcome the mental block for OHP, 50kg felt so light when I tried it but I was already fatigued as it was my last set.

I've switched to a closer grip for bench as I feel a better mind muscle connection that way. I finally get what that means, I could actually feel my whole chest contracting when I used a narrower grip compared to a wider grip. Plus it also works my triceps a lot more too so its a win win.

As a result, did same volume for bench but less intensity as I just wanted to focus on getting a feel for close grip. Going for heavy squat next session.

Spoiler

Reply 83
02/08/19
Using a closer grip for my bench has been interesting; still getting used to it but my chest seems to contract more so I'm fine with it. Squat was meh, was expecting it since I had been stalling it for like two weeks but I'm getting back on it now.

Spoiler

Reply 84
05/08/19
I'm beginning to understand that my shoulders do not recover as quickly as the rest of my body. 40kg on OHP felt so heavy and unusual...

Spoiler

Reply 85
09/08/19
Today's workout felt really difficult, only exercise that felt alright was chin ups.

As a result, didn't bother going up to 180kg for deadlift. Would I have achieved it? Who knows....

Spoiler

Reply 86
14/08/19
Today's workout felt very difficult as well; especially OHP. Had to drop to 30kg for volume as 40kg suddenly felt extremely heavy.

It doesn't bother that much at the moment as all I can think about is results day tomorrow.

Spoiler

Reply 87
16/08/19
Today I felt a lot more focused during the workout so it turned out pretty decent. Tried going for 180kg deadlift, didn't get it; could barely get it off the ground, felt really dizzy afterwards.

Spoiler

14/08/19
Today's workout felt very difficult as well; especially OHP. Had to drop to 30kg for volume as 40kg suddenly felt extremely heavy.

It doesn't bother that much at the moment as all I can think about is results day tomorrow.

Spoiler

Hope results day went well for you :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by SuperHuman98
Hope results day went well for you :smile:

Could have been better considering I had very high predicted grades, but I'm just glad I'm going to a uni to do a course that I'll really enjoy.
Reply 90
19/08/19
Did leg press instead of squat. Was too tired to do accessory work.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 91
21/08/19

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 92
23/08/19

Spoiler

No more squats?
Reply 94
Original post by SuperHuman98
No more squats?

For now, I still can't seem to get over this fear of going higher than 100kg on squats which resulted in me stalling on squats altogether. But I don't want to miss out on legs hence the leg press.
Reply 95
26/08/19
Today was a little different, decided to workout at home in my room using some free weights I had lying around. Decided to focus on hypertrophy this session. As I don't typically focus solely on hypertrophy, you will notice I just do 12 x 3 for all of the exercises.

Never realised how DB Bulgarian Split Squats can obliterate your legs. I will edit in the amount of weight used later on since I need to look up how much the bar of the free weight weighs on its own.

Spoiler

Reply 96
28/08/19
Chin Ups felt unusally difficult to perform so didn't do that many of them.

Spoiler

30/08/19
Think I'm going to go for a new PB attempt on deadlift next session. OHP is still a work in progress. I'm going to stop screwing around with Rows and actually stick to the linear progression and reps/sets orginally intended. Going to do some light squats as well to get back in the grove of things. Can't remain afraid forever..

Bench press felt weird today hence why I switched to the machine for heavier weight. Chin Ups felt difficult again.

Spoiler

Reply 97
02/09/19
This session wasn't great. Deadlift was also not that.
@Angry cucumber @Gone Revising II I've managed to get footage of 175kg x1 if you guys have time to check my form?

Spoiler

02/09/19
This session wasn't great. Deadlift was also not that.
@Angry cucumber @Gone Revising II I've managed to get footage of 175kg x1 if you guys have time to check my form?

Spoiler

Yes sure

[and do your side delts goddamnit, don’t have to go heavy with them]
Original post by Gone Revising II
Yes sure

[and do your side delts goddamnit, don’t have to go heavy with them]

This. Just pick up a 5kg DB and do them for those boulder shoulders.

Quick Reply

Latest