The Student Room Group

Lifting Adventures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
22/10/19
More snatching, got to experience the clean and jerk in yesterdays session. Needs a bit of work, still feels like I'm overhead pressing the weight in my snatch, c+j form wasn't too bad just need to get used to doing it.

Went up to like 45kg on snatch and c+j

Also due to my smart budgeting skills, I am now able to purchase a pair of weightlifting shoes.

Originally the plan was to get the Addias Power lift shoes or AdiPower Perfect 3 but they don't have AdiPower in my shoe size in the colour I want and I'm starting to prefer the coyotes to the power lift. So unless they have it in my size by tonight, think I might get the coyotes. @illusionz when you bought the coyotes, did you go half a size or a full size smaller?

Edit: Forgot to mention, coach mentioned that we'll be geting individual programming in the coming weeks, as they still want to see what we need to work on. Something about BodyBuilding I think? We'll see...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by usfbullz
22/10/19
More snatching, got to experience the clean and jerk in yesterdays session. Needs a bit of work, still feels like I'm overhead pressing the weight in my snatch, c+j form wasn't too bad just need to get used to doing it.

Went up to like 45kg on snatch and c+j

Also due to my smart budgeting skills, I am now able to purchase a pair of weightlifting shoes.

Originally the plan was to get the Addias Power lift shoes or AdiPower Perfect 3 but they don't have AdiPower in my shoe size in the colour I want and I'm starting to prefer the coyotes to the power lift. So unless they have it in my size by tonight, think I might get the coyotes. @illusionz when you bought the coyotes, did you go half a size or a full size smaller?

Edit: Forgot to mention, coach mentioned that we'll be geting individual programming in the coming weeks, as they still want to see what we need to work on. Something about BodyBuilding I think? We'll see...

Most of my shoes are a 9, and I have relatively wide feet (nothing crazy but very narrow shoes like Adidas Gazelles don't fit me).

My SS Coyotes are an 8.5 and fit well.
Reply 122
Original post by illusionz
Most of my shoes are a 9, and I have relatively wide feet (nothing crazy but very narrow shoes like Adidas Gazelles don't fit me).

My SS Coyotes are an 8.5 and fit well.

I see. I'm a size 11 so I don't know whether I should go for 10 or 10.5 :confused:
I see. I'm a size 11 so I don't know whether I should go for 10 or 10.5 :confused:

I don't own any other shoes that are smaller than a 9, some are a 9.5 or 10.

I could get away with them being a bit smaller tbh, so if you went down a size you'd be OK I expect. But the combination of laces and 2 straps means you'll be able to get a tight fit even only going down 0.5.

I'd probably only go down half a size if it was me as I want to be able to just wear them for the whole session as that's easier.

You can always wear two pairs of socks. You can't make uncomfortably small shoes bigger.
Reply 124
Original post by illusionz
X

PRSOM
Reply 125
25/10/19
Had training on Wed, was pretty good. Snatch is getting better, my flexibility and mobility is improving little by little.

Got the shoes:

Spoiler

Reply 126
30/10/19
Meant to update yesterday but was doing uni work and it slipped my mind.

Had training on Monday, shoes are great. Perfect fit and pretty comfortable.

Snatch is improving as well, first pull and transition is good but I keep messing up the second pull; I can't get the bar to be in contact with my thigh resulting in me using my arms to do the work.

I watched some videos and I'm gonna try some stuff in today's session.
Reply 127
02/11/2019
Terrible... Just utterly terrible. Worst session (Wed) I've had so far, just ****ed up everything.

Second pull is really letting down my lift, had a lot of soreness in my upper back after this session but it has gone down in these past few days.
Reply 128
05/11/19
Training went much better, I plan to up weight to 50kg in snatch next session. On another note, family keeps asking me if I'm eating enough because I look much leaner now, friends keep nagging me to put on size as well. I don't want to just dive straight into a hypertrophy program because I know Coach plans to do programming for us (they only mentioned it once though), but I'm not sure what the focus of the program will be on.

Really need to speak to them about it but it keeps slipping my mind.

02/11/2019
Terrible... Just utterly terrible. Worst session (Wed) I've had so far, just ****ed up everything.

Second pull is really letting down my lift, had a lot of soreness in my upper back after this session but it has gone down in these past few days.

Ah happens to the best of us. Keep going and remember to focus on the process sounds like you have already progressed a lot on these Olympic lifts.

05/11/19
Training went much better, I plan to up weight to 50kg in snatch next session. On another note, family keeps asking me if I'm eating enough because I look much leaner now, friends keep nagging me to put on size as well. I don't want to just dive straight into a hypertrophy program because I know Coach plans to do programming for us (they only mentioned it once though), but I'm not sure what the focus of the program will be on.

Really need to speak to them about it but it keeps slipping my mind.

Eat however much you think you need to to fuel your training :smile:
Reply 130
09/11/2019
Training on Wednesday was alright, second pull has finally started to improve

Flexibility and mobility is also starting to improve a lot more, I can sit in a squat position for longer periods of time but my back is hunched over so that needs some work.

Manage to record myself snatching 45kg (although technically it was a power snatch)

I'm not sure if there's anyone here that has experience with oly lifts but if there is, want to take a look so I can get feedback?
I don't think any of the guys posting these days do oly lifting. There were a few back in the day but that's a while ago now.
Taj lifts
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 133
11/11 & 14/19
Weird, I didn't get any notifications that you guys posted....

Anyways this week was pretty good. Hit a 50kg snatch on Wednesday. That was a really good feeling and I know it was a good lift. Why you might ask? Head was up, chest was up, I felt that hip contact with the bar and my second pull wasn't **** this time so the weight just flew over my head. I could have squatted down a little deeper but I assume I'll naturally do it once the weight gets heavier.

Damn I really wish I recorded it. Also flexibility and mobility is really improving. I actually feel confident about squatting now (I think this was the main reason I didn't go above 100kg). Might do a mini squat strength program during Christmas holidays (if thats even possible).

I'm also able to sit into a squat (provided my legs are a bit wide as I have really long legs but a really small torso) and touch my toes for extended periods of time. Now to move onto touching the floor which I'm finding crazy difficult to do at the moment.

Gonna try record another snatch lift as my form is completely different from that video now.
Reply 134
18/11 & 20/11
Nothing much to note. I just keep ****ing up the transition from second pull to third pull. By that I mean, I'm pulling nice but I keep getting impatient and not waiting for full hip contact before jumping under the bar resulting in me getting into the final squat position but the weight dropping.

Hopefully I should get an accessory plan soon so I can start doing accessory. Ideally I want it to include (most but not all):
Back/Front Squat, Overhead Press, Barbell Rows & Shrugs, Dips, Pull Ups, Snatch Deadlifts and Side Delt Raises.

We'll see how that goes.
Reply 135
25/11 & 27/11
Same mistakes, nothing new.

Did accessory work on Friday:
Squat - 80kg x5, 90kg x5 x5 x5, 60kg x`AMRAP

C+J/Overhead Press - 30kg x5, 40kg x5 x5 x5, 45kg x5

Barbell Rows - 50kg x10 x10 x10 x10 x10

Chin Ups - x5 x5 (been a long time since I've done these)

Tricep Pushdown - 18kg x10 x10 x10 x10 x10

Bicep Curls - 10kg x Don't remember

Face Pulls - Don't remember as it was in the evening and I was already knackered so forgot to put in my phone

Quick Reply

Latest