The Student Room Group

How does A level drama differ from GCSE drama

hey everyone. I just finished GCSE drama (edexcel) and I'm going to continue onto A level drama (AQA) and was wondering how GCSE drama differs from A level drama. Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hi, I just finished A level drama and I also did GCSE :smile: (AQA) I definitely found it a lot more difficult. It's a lot more detailed criticism in the written work, you learn a lot more about social/historical/cultural contexts and you learn about costume, lighting and sets. The practical work I ended up enjoying, you devise an original play which is really hard work but when you get it done it feels like a really big achievement. Then you do a scripted peice which is quite high pressure aswell. It's 70% written and 30% scripted
Original post by Ehaswell12
Hi, I just finished A level drama and I also did GCSE :smile: (AQA) I definitely found it a lot more difficult. It's a lot more detailed criticism in the written work, you learn a lot more about social/historical/cultural contexts and you learn about costume, lighting and sets. The practical work I ended up enjoying, you devise an original play which is really hard work but when you get it done it feels like a really big achievement. Then you do a scripted peice which is quite high pressure aswell. It's 70% written and 30% scripted

Sorry I mean 30% practical
hey, I currently do drama AQA at a level. do you have any tips?
Hi! Am currently doing A level drama at the end of year 13. Some tips from me are don't leave your working notebook and reflective report until the last minute. Keep updated entries describing every exercise you do preparing for your scripted pieces and your devised piece. You won't need all the notes in the final product but it's better to have more than you need because you are not going to remember what you did back in year 12 in your first scripted piece when you're at the end of year 13 trying to write your reflective report. Throw yourself into the performances fully. Even if what you're doing is super "out there" and weird (and perhaps a bit embarrassing) - trust me, it will make you stand out if you just throw yourself fully into it! You probably already know, but try to stick to 1 hour per section in the exam. That gives you 20 minutes per question in the three questions in the first section, and an hour per essay for the other play and the live evaluation.

Original post by Jusst.Ab1
Reply 6
Original post by Jusst.Ab1

Original post by Anonymous0305
Hi! Am currently doing A level drama at the end of year 13. Some tips from me are don't leave your working notebook and reflective report until the last minute. Keep updated entries describing every exercise you do preparing for your scripted pieces and your devised piece. You won't need all the notes in the final product but it's better to have more than you need because you are not going to remember what you did back in year 12 in your first scripted piece when you're at the end of year 13 trying to write your reflective report. Throw yourself into the performances fully. Even if what you're doing is super "out there" and weird (and perhaps a bit embarrassing) - trust me, it will make you stand out if you just throw yourself fully into it! You probably already know, but try to stick to 1 hour per section in the exam. That gives you 20 minutes per question in the three questions in the first section, and an hour per essay for the other play and the live evaluation.

I agree with the above. I would just remember why you love to do drama, because that will push you through all the essays! I would listen to the teachers, and focus your energies on the 2nd section of the paper because you get the most marks from there, and pratice writing as the timings are definitely super hard. For coursework, I would not leave it to the last minute, and make notes throughout the process to use later (it's annoying I know but it will definitely help!) and just do your best. You can do it.
Original post by Ehaswell12

Hi, I haven't done GCSE drama but I really wish I had. I'm currently applying for my A-levels and I really want to do drama and theater studies. I'm struggling with finding ways to prepare and I don't want to go in blind. I was wondering what the main things students take from GCSE drama and apply to A-level drama are. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending