The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography or Drama

Hi. I’ve chosen my GCSE’s some time ago but I have been rethinking my choices (I start year 9 on the 6th). I chose drama, ethics, French, history and computer science. However, I am very good at geography and my teacher told me that I would get very high marks if I were to do geography and I do enjoy it. I was thinking of changing from drama to geography as I will be continuing with theatre lessons this year and will be starting Stagecoach. Therefore, I would be doing both GCSE drama and Stagecoach, which could be a lot if I have two shows close to each other in time. I am also aiming at going to Cambridge University, probably to do Veterinary medicine. Geography is more likely to help me with this (as with any of the other careers I have thought about). If you have any advice on this situation please do give it to me as I do not have much time and would like to sort out a possible change before school starts.
Original post by oliwia_naza
Hi. I’ve chosen my GCSE’s some time ago but I have been rethinking my choices (I start year 9 on the 6th). I chose drama, ethics, French, history and computer science. However, I am very good at geography and my teacher told me that I would get very high marks if I were to do geography and I do enjoy it. I was thinking of changing from drama to geography as I will be continuing with theatre lessons this year and will be starting Stagecoach. Therefore, I would be doing both GCSE drama and Stagecoach, which could be a lot if I have two shows close to each other in time. I am also aiming at going to Cambridge University, probably to do Veterinary medicine. Geography is more likely to help me with this (as with any of the other careers I have thought about). If you have any advice on this situation please do give it to me as I do not have much time and would like to sort out a possible change before school starts.

Hi, I am a year 10/11. I do geography and it is quite good, a lot of it is common sense although there is a lot of case studies. Geography is really good as it is a mixture between physical and human geography band the essays aren’t to long. I find it quite applicable to the real world. In regards to drama, according to some of my friends it is very theory based so may be different from what you do in Stagecoach. Drama requires a lot of learning quotes like English lit however they do go on lots of trips to watch plays. I would say that I have heard that universities do not care a lot about GCSEs so long as maths and English is there - only A levels. Do what you enjoy. Also don’t worry too much about uni yet - I am going to wait till sixth form (Apart from making sure I have the right A levels) as I don’t want to get my heart set on one ,particularly the likes of Cambridge as you need at least A*A* A for what I want to do, as I don’t want to be disappointed when I don’t know where I stand yet.

Personally, to me they are both ‘optional gcses’. The only thing universities would want from it is your grade
The more important ones being english, maths, than science - as universities say ‘at least _ in english and maths’
So go for geography, as you would be good at it and you enjoy it (and you do drama in stagecoach)
Reply 3

I would suggest to do geography as it probably would be more useful later on and from what I've heard it is quite easy, I took history instead and I regretted it a lot because I found it so hard and now I want to do geography for a level but I can't.

Quick Reply

Latest