The Student Room Group

2/3 of Tory party members believe certain areas of the UK operate under Sharia Law

Scroll to see replies

All off Bradford is under sharia law.
Reply 41
Original post by Sophia970

It literally is not
Reply 42
Original post by Underscore__
Haha so a poll can be a useful indicator of Islamaphobia but not of antisemitism? What evidence do you have to support your position against the Conservative party?

Did I say that? Nopeeee.
What crap are you babbling on about anti-antisemitism for?

Your position, quite obviously, is one of dislike for the Conservative party.

Lol, bless you :lol: I was a card carrying member of them for a while. But indeed, you're right (for a change) I do dislike the party these days. What's your point?
It’s an official government statistic, you can choose to accept the data or not. Granted it would be nice to have it updated in some form. I would rather trust that the alternative one by the Muslim council of Great Britain. A lot of people who have English as a second language do speak and write English better than our natives, I’d agree with that, in my experience too.

Other cases happen like this too; like I said above you can choose to accept it or disregard it

Original post by Napp
I remain highly dubious of the stat of 22%... Either way in fairness to people who speak English as a second language, most of them speak real English better than the natives. The mangling of the Queen that goes on these days is terrible.
Also, since when can you judge who speaks English based on their religion? I mean of all the ridiculous metrics to try and abuse this one takes the biscuit. Are you referencing Arabs, Persians, Malayas, Indonesians, Indians, Pashtuns, Certain Africans or what?

I'm not sure a couple of isolated instances (never mind the specificity of them) really helps in your claim here...
Original post by Megxn0
It literally is not

I’ve been. It’s a no go area for non-muslims
Reply 45
As any sensible person should i distrust statistics with a passion. They are far to open to manipulation - this is in a general sense and not specific to this instance i should add.
Reply 46
I’ve been.

I call horse ****.

It’s a no go area for non-muslims

See above.
Original post by Napp
I remain highly dubious of the stat of 22%... Either way in fairness to people who speak English as a second language, most of them speak real English better than the natives. The mangling of the Queen that goes on these days is terrible.
Also, since when can you judge who speaks English based on their religion? I mean of all the ridiculous metrics to try and abuse this one takes the biscuit. Are you referencing Arabs, Persians, Malayas, Indonesians, Indians, Pashtuns, Certain Africans or what?

I'm not sure a couple of isolated instances (never mind the specificity of them) really helps in your claim here...

I think you should read the link, the stat is from responses to the 2011 census; the statistic is simply that 22% of all people who ticked the 'muslim' and 'woman' boxes said they don't speak English well or at all. If you're sceptical of the statistic you're accusing people of falsely claiming they don't speak English well. You seem to have a rather strange and inconsistent position on the reliability of evidence
Original post by Napp
Err you are aware the local MP (or possibly Councillor) went over and offered his support right? He was white... Plenty of people of all races and religions find the idea of teaching children that transsexualism and what not is a normal way of life, troubling. There is absolutely nothing uniquely islamic about this.

This was after Muslims had been protesting for 6 weeks.And it was one man.It wasn't a crowd of white british people shouting shame was it? Thankfully those days are behind us.
Original post by Napp
How so? It's literally the title of the quoted article?

If you can't see the difference between "2/3 of Tory party believe we live under sharia law" and "2/3 of Tory part...believe UK areas under sharia law" then there is no helping you.

You might also be interested in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Arbitration_Tribunal

https://fullfact.org/law/uks-sharia-courts/

And while they may not have any legal power other than standard UK law, there may well be unofficial power where they make decisions that local muslims obey albeit with no legal (but perhaps social) enforcement.
Original post by Napp
Very little in ones view but that isnt quite the point here. I tend to find the average Muslims beliefs far more tolerable than some bible thumping evangelical or god forbid Mormon etc.

They are mostly the same beliefs.Abortion is bad,gay people are bad,sex is bad.Thats the general gist of it.
Reply 51
I’ve been. It’s a no go area for non-muslims

I’m not muslim and I live here lol. Just because Bradford has a large population of Muslims doesn’t make it a no-go area, I can’t believe I have to even say this. Non-Muslims and Muslims live here together perfectly fine
Reply 52
I think you should read the link, the stat is from responses to the 2011 census; the statistic is simply that 22% of all people who ticked the 'muslim' and 'woman' boxes said they don't speak English well or at all. If you're sceptical of the statistic you're accusing people of falsely claiming they don't speak English well. You seem to have a rather strange and inconsistent position on the reliability of evidence

I stand by what I said on statistics.
I'm sorry do we have some kind of problem? I havent a clue who or what you are yet you seem to keep prattling on about my supposed stance on antisemitism and evidence? You'll have you remind me as to what rubbish you're talking about?
Original post by James2312
This was after Muslims had been protesting for 6 weeks.And it was one man.It wasn't a crowd of white british people shouting shame was it? Thankfully those days are behind us.

Again, so what?
No they really arent. You need just go on any online forum to see peoples true views, here for example. Whites/Christians/Jews/Blacks etc. etc. etc. all still have plenty of problems of men claiming to be women and vice versa. It is an appallingly dishonest claim to try and infer that this is some kind of uniquely Muslim attitude.
I'm sure I can find you plenty of native protests about teaching about buggery and transexuals to kids. I certianly have met many people who think its unseemly.
As for white chirstians protesting, need i remind you of the BNP, EDL and their assorted scum? Nevermind the stance of the worlds most powerful religion...The CATHOLIC church.
Original post by Napp
Did I say that? Nopeeee.
What crap are you babbling on about anti-antisemitism for?

Well you definitely did just say that polls are useful indicators and you did also have a very protracted debate with me in which you sought to completely disregard another poll.

I'm not babbling about anti-antisemitism, I'm very much in favour of that. I referenced antisemitism as it is what our previous conversation was about.

Original post by Napp
Lol, bless you :lol: I was a card carrying member of them for a while. But indeed, you're right (for a change) I do dislike the party these days. What's your point?

My point, as I previously said, is that you now seem keen to trust a poll that supports your position however when I used a poll that went against what you believe you said polls aren't reliable.
I agree that without the methodology and the data from the study it’s a bit difficult to verify it examine the governments numbers; but I’m still more inclined to trust the official figures (as numbers themselves cannot lie) than those of an organisation that has previously boycotted holocaust memorial days
Original post by Napp
As any sensible person should i distrust statistics with a passion. They are far to open to manipulation - this is in a general sense and not specific to this instance i should add.
Reply 55
Well you definitely did just say that polls are useful indicators and you did also have a very protracted debate with me in which you sought to completely disregard another poll.

I'm not babbling about anti-antisemitism, I'm very much in favour of that. I referenced antisemitism as it is what our previous conversation was about.

Yeah i'm afraid i have no memory of you so once again you'll have to refresh my memory on this allegation.
Did you just say you're in favour of antisemitism...?

My point, as I previously said, is that you now seem keen to trust a poll that supports your position however when I used a poll that went against what you believe you said polls aren't reliable.

I not once said i trust a poll, in fact i repeatedly said that. Saying its an indicator is not the same as saying i trust it wholeheartedly. That is a rather crucial difference.
Original post by James2312
They are mostly the same beliefs.Abortion is bad,gay people are bad,sex is bad.Thats the general gist of it.

So youre referencing all religious stances there... okay?
Original post by chazwomaq
If you can't see the difference between "2/3 of Tory party believe we live under sharia law" and "2/3 of Tory part...believe UK areas under sharia law" then there is no helping you.

You might also be interested in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Arbitration_Tribunal

https://fullfact.org/law/uks-sharia-courts/

And while they may not have any legal power other than standard UK law, there may well be unofficial power where they make decisions that local muslims obey albeit with no legal (but perhaps social) enforcement.

And your point is...?
Original post by Napp
I stand by what I said on statistics.
I'm sorry do we have some kind of problem? I havent a clue who or what you are yet you seem to keep prattling on about my supposed stance on antisemitism and evidence? You'll have you remind me as to what rubbish you're talking about?

Sure, like I said previously, we had a debate recently on the prevalence of antisemitism in Malaysia which can be found here. I'm surprised you don't remember, it was only last week.

Now you are just being silly and a liar.

Thread title is very misleading anyway and the belief of the 900 members polled is that sharia law operates in some areas of the UK.

Not all of the UK, just some areas. There is a big difference.

In terms of Sharia law, then you have to decide what we live under means.
Sharia law operates in the UK because its allowed to do so.
It isnt allowed to usurp UK law though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 58
That is rather my point. It is a common and well known fact that statstics can say anything you want them to say, that goes for government stats as well. Indeed you're right that the Govs one is likely more reliable than whatever organisation this is but by salient point still stands...
Sure, like I said previously, we had a debate recently on the prevalence of antisemitism in Malaysia which can be found here. I'm surprised you don't remember, it was only last week.

Vague bells are being rung here but i'm afraid i dont bother dedicating every single debate I have on here to memory... They all merge into one after a while.
Reply 59
Original post by 999tigger
Now you are just being silly and a liar.

Smells like trolling tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending