The Student Room Group

2/3 of Tory party members believe certain areas of the UK operate under Sharia Law

Scroll to see replies

Correction -2/3rds of the Tory Party membership thinks THERE ARE AREAS OF THIS COUNTRY under Sharia Law.

Once you get to University you will discover that accuracy is everything and wild summaries do not a scholar make.
Original post by limetang
A distinction without a difference and you know it. There exist areas that are majority Muslim, the majority of Muslims in those areas adhere to sharia law and have arbitrators etc that enforece said law. Those areas are under sharia law.

there is a huge difference. For it to be an area living under a certain system, all people within that area would be living under it.

If its only a part of the people within that area (even a majority), but they are not forcing it on others, then its not an 'area' but a group of people that are living under a certain law.

If there are areas where sharia law is enforced to everyone then they would be correct, but aside from a few scare stories, I haven't heard of any area where sharia law is enforced on non-muslims.
Original post by fallen_acorns
there is a huge difference. For it to be an area living under a certain system, all people within that area would be living under it.

If its only a part of the people within that area (even a majority), but they are not forcing it on others, then its not an 'area' but a group of people that are living under a certain law.

If there are areas where sharia law is enforced to everyone then they would be correct, but aside from a few scare stories, I haven't heard of any area where sharia law is enforced on non-muslims.

This.

Now, can we stop the borderline-racist assumptions and comments please.

I mean, no. “Is area x under sharia law?” is a fairly ambiguous question at best. It does not necessarily imply that you’re asking if an area has all people living in it adhering to sharia law. Especially when you have a binary question yes or no.

There is absolutely a difference between asking whether an areas inhabitants choose to adhere to sharia law and asking whether sharia law is enforced for all people living in a particular area. The question asked doesn’t sufficiently differentiate between those two questions.
Original post by returnmigrant
This.

Now, can we stop the borderline-racist assumptions and comments please.

Which borderline racist assumptions? Of mine?
Original post by limetang
Which borderline racist assumptions? Of mine?

No - your comments are hugely sensible.
The area of the village I live in is mainly whites and I have the pleasure of being called a n*gger and a p*ki and having pebbles thrown on my windows which my parents have to replace with their own money.
I'd say I'd prefer to get hissed at because the spitting well that already happens.
What a bunch of ****wits, sorry you have to deal with that :frown:
Original post by -Quava-
The area of the village I live in is mainly whites and I have the pleasure of being called a n*gger and a p*ki and having pebbles thrown on my windows which my parents have to replace with their own money.
I'd say I'd prefer to get hissed at because the spitting well that already happens.
LOL I am actually dying :lol:
Screenshot_16.png
Screenshot_17.png
2/3 of the Tory part are stupid. Then again we already knew that.
They have no legal authority and its not enforceable. The UK is subject to UK law of its respective countries.
The distinction is massive because one of them is a misleading lie.
Correction -2/3rds of the Tory Party membership thinks THERE ARE AREAS OF THIS COUNTRY under Sharia Law.

Once you get to University you will discover that accuracy is everything and wild summaries do not a scholar make.

Please do not call members of the Tory party chimps. Members of the animal kingdom should be treated with respect.
Original post by Napp
I mean meant geographic location.

Parts of Bradford, maybe parts of Birmingham
Reply 93
Original post by barnetlad
Please do not call members of the Tory party chimps. Members of the animal kingdom should be treated with respect.

I sincerely apologize to our hairy jungle dwelling simian relatives.
Reply 94
"2/3 of Tory party believe we live under sharia law"
"2/3rd of tory members believe UK areas 'under sharia law'"

There is a big difference in meaning between these two. Hence why the other poster was correctly suggesting that your bending the articles title to make your own more sensational.

I would point out that that omission was accidental and not on purpose, i was not trying to make anything 'more sensation'. When I said Tory party i was still referring to the membership. Apologies for the confusion.
Reply 95
Original post by Underscore__
I'm not asking you to read the whole thread, I've just provided a helpful link so that if any references I make don't make sense you know where to look.
Well you either couldn't read me repeating the phrase you used: anti-antisemitism or you wilfully misrepresented what I said. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt as assuming you wouldn't be wilfully dishonest.

I'm not rereading any of it. This thread is not about that and if you'd kindly stop trying to derail it with your ramblings that would be much appreciated, mate.

What exactly am I assuming?

I'm sure you're capable of reading your own comment.

When did the Tories admit to hating Muslims?

Do you live under a rock? Several senior tories have admitted the party has a problem with anti muslim hatred and have called for an inquiry. This is hardly breaking news and i'm surprised even you havent heard it. Nevermind the rather obvious fact that it is a problem.
Reply 96

It's an innocent omission, calm you titties mate.

Lol this made me laugh at how ridiculous it is.
Original post by Napp
How so? It’s literally the title of the article?

It literally isn't. The article's title is:

Two-thirds of Tory members believe UK areas ‘under sharia law’, as poll reveals scale of Islamophobia in party

You do understand that there is a difference between 'Britain' and 'UK areas', don't you? And any critic of Islam (any sane and rational person) is, by the dictionary definition, Islamophobic. It is one's duty to criticise an ideology thast is misogynistic, aggressively political, homophobic and intolerant of other beliefs as the Koran reveals Islam to be. I'd hope 100% of all politicians who are not Mohammedans would be Islamophobic.

You don't live in such an area so to claim people say 'we' live under Sharia is deliberately misleading, but true to form.

As others have said, there seems little doubt that some areas of the UK are characterised by strong adherence to Sharia principles and that there are groups aggressively attempting to enforce it. To describe anyone who points this out as a 'racist' is perverse.
Reply 98
Original post by Good bloke
It literally isn't. The article's title is:

Two-thirds of Tory members believe UK areas ‘under sharia law’, as poll reveals scale of Islamophobia in party

You are aware areas of the UK are err part of the uk?

You do understand that there is a difference between 'Britain' and 'UK areas', don't you? And any critic of Islam (any sane and rational person) is, by the dictionary definition, Islamophobic. It is one's duty to criticise an ideology thast is misogynistic, aggressively political, homophobic and intolerant of other beliefs as the Koran reveals Islam to be. I'd hope 100% of all politicians who are not Mohammedans would be Islamophobic.

To a point.
I like how you have to attempt to justify your hatred of Islam as "sane and rational". Either way i've debated this issue till im blue in the face with you so i wont go into it again. You hate Muslims, i disagree with you and think there are far worse religious groups, you know like the ones who led us into a war in the ME and caused the Muslim back lash (and who hold EXACTLY the same traits you just complained about).

You don't live in such an area so to claim people say 'we' live under Sharia is deliberately misleading, but true to form.

Is the best you can do really try and impugn my honesty (deeply ironic considering its you) as opposed to recognizing that i simply used slack phrasing - hardly a crime and one i'm certainly not going to apologise to the like of you for.

As others have said, there seems little doubt that some areas of the UK are characterised by strong adherence to Sharia principles and that there are groups aggressively attempting to enforce it. To describe anyone who points this out as a 'racist' is perverse.

These groups are tiny and on a par with the like of the EDL, aside from being a vocal annoyance they are just that, an annoyance. You lot deliberately overstate a non-issue as some existential threat. To be honest it goes beyond just being misleading and dishonest and just shows your ultra-partisan dislike of 'Mohammedans' and anything to do with them and their culture(like the word usage though, havent come across someone using that in a while).

I don't recall calling someone a racist? Seeing as a religion is not a race. I will happily call them an ignorant and ill informed bigot though. some of them might actually be able to back up their claims with the knowledge to enforce it. However, most people who whine about 'doz muzlamic ray guns' and assorted tripe are also probably racist. Take Hopkins and her cohort of ... i cant think of a polite word i'm afraid - but their views on Blacks, Asians, Arabs, Persians etc. arent exactly a closely guarded state secret.
Reply 99
What if you are a white Muslim?
What if you are an Asian non-Muslim?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending