The Student Room Group

How to complete 'recent study' in the quickest, cheapest way possible!

Hi there,

I want to go to uni for the second time to study midwifery at 32 and with 3 children I'm ready for a new challenge after a career in journalism.

I've been in touch with the admissions department of the uni I want to go to and they've confirmed I meet all the academic entry requirements apart from the 'recent study' requirement - they need you to have studied within the last 3 years. They said: "You would merely be required to enrol on any course that requires some sort of assessment to take place. This course could be in any subject, or any length and at any level, as long as there is some sort of assessed work, it would meet the requirements."

I've looked at various access courses that cost upwards of £3k and last an academic year. I just wondered if there was a quicker, cheaper way?! Has anyone been on a shorter assessed course and got into a degree later?

Thanks
Original post by sk04
Hi there,

I want to go to uni for the second time to study midwifery at 32 and with 3 children I'm ready for a new challenge after a career in journalism.

I've been in touch with the admissions department of the uni I want to go to and they've confirmed I meet all the academic entry requirements apart from the 'recent study' requirement - they need you to have studied within the last 3 years. They said: "You would merely be required to enrol on any course that requires some sort of assessment to take place. This course could be in any subject, or any length and at any level, as long as there is some sort of assessed work, it would meet the requirements."

I've looked at various access courses that cost upwards of £3k and last an academic year. I just wondered if there was a quicker, cheaper way?! Has anyone been on a shorter assessed course and got into a degree later?

Thanks

Talk to or look at the website of your local college.
Look for a course in something like health and social care, science or anything you fancy.
I would be cautious about their description of recent study because it sounds very lax and other unis would not be as generous.
In the event this is the only uni you are interested in, then you might as well do a course that takes least effort and is the cheapest.
Level 1 courses are sub GCSE so see what your college has.
You can also ask Learn direct to see what they have.

Do not enrol on the course till its been verified by the uni its acceptable.

Access courses are equivalent to 3 A levels, that would be your best prep and you could check whether you can get access to advanced learner loans, although need to check with previous learning limitations.
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility
Reply 2
I've checked out Learn Direct and I've found a course that's cheaper and quicker to complete. Whether it's accepted by the uni is another thing I've got in touch with them, so waiting to find out. Thank you very much for your help.
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to or look at the website of your local college.
Look for a course in something like health and social care, science or anything you fancy.
I would be cautious about their description of recent study because it sounds very lax and other unis would not be as generous.
In the event this is the only uni you are interested in, then you might as well do a course that takes least effort and is the cheapest.
Level 1 courses are sub GCSE so see what your college has.
You can also ask Learn direct to see what they have.

Do not enrol on the course till its been verified by the uni its acceptable.

Access courses are equivalent to 3 A levels, that would be your best prep and you could check whether you can get access to advanced learner loans, although need to check with previous learning limitations.
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility
Original post by sk04
I've checked out Learn Direct and I've found a course that's cheaper and quicker to complete. Whether it's accepted by the uni is another thing I've got in touch with them, so waiting to find out. Thank you very much for your help.

Get it in writing before you commit to the course as a lot is hanging on it. It should be from the course organiser .
Most unis are a lot more specific than the explanation you have been given and its so wide its almost meaningless.
I did a gcse last summer over a year and then applied for a degree this summer, 25 years after my last degree. So I assume that got me through, even though I don’t actually recall the recent study evidence requirements.
That cost me £300 or so for study notes from Ics direct plus £150 exam entry.
But I’d ask them exactly what counts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending