The Student Room Group

can you apply to medicine again while in 1st year?

so bscly im a failure and i hate myself for it. I didnt get into med in y13. i got A*BB. I decided to be ambitious and retake the Bs in my gap year and i think i got worse this time. i have an unconditional offer for neuroscience. I reapplied for med and i got one interview from my first choice uni but the invitation came when i just had a big surgery. i got wailisted. i just feel hopeless and i would appreciate any advice. can i reapply during first year of uni?
no you cant. as for advice, I am unsure but there are plenty of people on here who will give you some great advice dw
Reply 2
Original post by marble arch
no you cant. as for advice, I am unsure but there are plenty of people on here who will give you some great advice dw

why can't you?
Original post by jubnatan
so bscly im a failure and i hate myself for it. I didnt get into med in y13. i got A*BB. I decided to be ambitious and retake the Bs in my gap year and i think i got worse this time. i have an unconditional offer for neuroscience. I reapplied for med and i got one interview from my first choice uni but the invitation came when i just had a big surgery. i got wailisted. i just feel hopeless and i would appreciate any advice. can i reapply during first year of uni?

A*BB is pretty good. And btw you never know you could be surprised on results day. But if not have you looked at any foundation courses for medicine?
Reply 4
Medical schools generally won't consider anyone who is currently at university, unless you are in your final year.

My advice is wait to see what you get with your results - people are generally not very good at judging their own performance. Then you can decide on next steps. You can always apply again next year with achieved grades.

You are not a failure, your grades are still good and you've had extenuating circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by PAR2MED
Medical schools generally won't consider anyone who is currently at university, unless you are in your final year.

My advice is wait to see what you get with your results - people are generally not very good at judging their own performance. Then you can decide on next steps. You can always apply again next year with achieved grades.

You are not a failure, your grades are still good and you've had extenuating circumstances.

How would they know I’m at university ? Also I’m trying to figure out possible options before results day, so any help would be appreciated.
Reply 6

Some med schools will accept an application if not in the final year of a degree course you have started, some will not, so it would limit your options if you start another degree.

How would they know I’m at university ? Also I’m trying to figure out possible options before results day, so any help would be appreciated.

Because your UCAS form asks for all your education?

Not getting the required AAA after a resit will significantly limit your options, as very few med schools accept more than 1 resit. Do you have any WP flags? If you do not have the A level grades, med schools will not accept you unless you have a degree or other similar qualifications, so another degree may be the best option.
If you make AAA+ (which would be needed if applying during the first year of a degree) then another gap year and reapply is the quickest, cheapest and least competitive route into medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending